Author Topic: New to Marlin Forum  (Read 1470 times)

805Krawler

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
New to Marlin Forum
« on: Jun 25, 2014, 08:20:57 PM »
Hey everyone.. Im Bryan. Im new to the forum thought Id take a min to say hello and introduce myself. I wheel a 85 toyota Xtra Cab. 22re, 5spd, dual cases ( stock Marlin case) 5;29 gearing, ARB front, SPool rear on 37'' Super swamper Boggers.. Ive been into Crawling for about 2 years now.. Love every minute of it.. Looking forward to my first Rubicon trip coming up in August @ the MCR event.. That being said.. Anyone got any pointers on what to expect as far as parking tow rigs, camping, what to pack etc? thanks in advance.. ill attach a cpl pics of my rig

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: New to Marlin Forum
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2014, 08:39:15 PM »
:welcome:  to Marland
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

toe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -60
  • Male Posts: 1,693
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2014, 09:08:42 PM »
 :welcome:
Me

OCD

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -135
  • Member since Sep '13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2014, 08:59:49 PM »
 :welcome: sounds like a nice rig you got there. I'm a bit partial to the 85 X-cabs though, got a couple myself. Which end of the trail do you plan to park your tow rig and head in from? Either way, there is always space to be found. You might want to consider parking your tow rig on the outskirts of the main parking area at either end though. It can get a bit squishy at both ends of the trail on Sunday when everyone makes the mad dash out. Always seems to be a lot more traffic going out the Tahoe side. We've run the trail in both directions and our preference is always to go in from Loon Lake if you have the time! Hope to see you there!

805Krawler [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2014, 09:07:30 PM »
Its a decent rig.. there are some things about it i need to change.. i bought it kinda of built.. As I'm learning I'm fixing what I can afford to fix the right way.. Ive never been to the Rubicon so Ill try an park on the Loon Lake side.. Once I'm allowed to post pics on here ill post a pic of my rig.. its my first Toyota, I am More than Hooked on it..if it gets crazy ill sit back for a cpl hours till it starts to die down.. i got time to get home.. Trying to check out other peoples rigs to see how they packed them down.. Its my first trip where i pack the rig with camping gear instead of our R.V.. I'm pumped about the tent camping.. the wife isn't so much.. ahahah

yota18

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -61
  • Male Posts: 448
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2014, 10:37:23 PM »
First off welcome i wheeled the rubicom in a stock toyota a few years ago. So your rig should have no problems.What part of the 805 are you I'm in camarillo

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2014, 12:13:57 AM »
 :welcome: from Northern California. I am in colfax now but born in the 805 in Camarillo.

805Krawler [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2014, 07:42:58 AM »
Thanks for all the Welcomes!! :beerchug:  Im in Ventura ....Cant wait To get out to the Rubicon.. Been watching video after video, checking out pictures.. Making the wait that much worse.. ahah

yota18

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -61
  • Male Posts: 448
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2014, 08:08:36 AM »
Nice I thought there were only jeeps around here

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2014, 06:27:05 PM »
 :welcome:
Looking forward to my first Rubicon trip coming up in August @ the MCR event.. That being said.. Anyone got any pointers on what to expect as far as parking tow rigs, camping, what to pack etc?

Its a decent rig.. there are some things about it i need to change.. i bought it kinda of built.. As I'm learning I'm fixing what I can afford to fix the right way.. Ive never been to the Rubicon so Ill try an park on the Loon Lake side.. Once I'm allowed to post pics on here ill post a pic of my rig.. its my first Toyota, I am More than Hooked on it..if it gets crazy ill sit back for a cpl hours till it starts to die down.. i got time to get home.. Trying to check out other peoples rigs to see how they packed them down.. Its my first trip where i pack the rig with camping gear instead of our R.V.. I'm pumped about the tent camping.. the wife isn't so much.. ahahah

What gear to take is all up to your desired level of comfort, i.e. closer to your RV or closer to backpacking.
Items I usually bring:
Tent(the kind you stand up in), sleeping bags, extra blankets
Camp stove, BBQ, lantern, 5 gal propane tank
Tables(30"x60" foldable, and one 24"x24" roll up),
2 camp chairs
5 gals of water per person
3 days of food(3 meals per person)
Beverages and snacks
Clothing for all seasons, you will want shorts t-shirt during the day, and likely sweatshirts/light jacket at night, as well as possible rain gear.
Portable toilet(there are outhouses on the Rubicon)

With the way your rig is set-up you should have a good time, of course your skill level/driving style will determine what level of carnage you incur. :laugh:  As mentioned both ends of the trail are busy on Sunday, the last year I did the round-up it took nearly 10hours to get from the Springs to Tahoe due to the broken rigs(from Sat.) that were being towed out, as well as the ones that broke Sunday.  If/when I can run the Roundup again, I plan to stay Sunday and leave Monday, this way avoiding the heavy or broken traffic. 
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

805Krawler [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 29, 2014, 06:39:19 PM »
So how does it work.. people start rolling into the trail heads friday, and try to make their way to a designated spot by saturday for the dinner/raffle? do people camp there for saturday night then take off in the morning on sunday?
 im totally new to this.. seen alot of pics looks like a sweet area..

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 29, 2014, 09:10:56 PM »
In the past that is how it went, but looking at the event schedule, it looks like everything takes place at the Springs, starting Friday afternoon with check-in.  With this being your first time on the trail, you might wan to come in Thursday, wheel into Spider Lakes(or wherever you can camp around there), then go onto the Springs on Friday.  This will allow for you and your wife to enjoy the trail, its surroundings, take plenty of pics, w/o being rushed, as you would be trying to go the entire way in one day, leave that for Sunday.  Also with you towing your trail rig and having to double back, you might consider just running the trail from Tahoe to the Springs Friday, wheel the trail out to Buck island or Spider if you make good time during the day on Saturday, then back to the Springs for Saturday nights events.  This would give you an idea of what the trail is like w/o having to have to run most of it in one day.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

OutlawxCai

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 29, 2014, 11:27:36 PM »
Snowtoy has some good points.