Author Topic: "TINK" noise when going from forward to reverse  (Read 3424 times)

joblo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Sep '09
  • R.O.K.O.---S.O.A.S.
    • View Profile
"TINK" noise when going from forward to reverse
« on: Jul 16, 2014, 09:24:26 PM »
I know it could be alot of things but im just looking for some other points of view.i have a w-56 with a marlin dual case adapter and 4.7 gears in the rear gear driven case 2.28 in the front case. Ive noticed a "TINK" noise when changing directions from forward to reverse, or vise versa, when the clutch is released and the drive train "loads up". I only seem to notice it in 2wd of high range.Its not the diffs or diff flange splines, not the driveline splines, not u-joints, not  out put shaft splines. I noticed the out puts have a little side to side movement so im kind of leaning toward some bearings for the case. Would bearings let the helicut gears "walk" from side to side when loaded in diferent directions? How often do dual case coupler splines wear out? Do you think its could more likely in the trans?
R.O.K.O.---S.O.A.S.

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
Not the same but my moms ujoint went bad a while back and it would make a tink noise when shifting into drive or reverse. Automatic, 2wd. Also had a bad vibration only while on the throttle above 50mph.

The only time i had a ujoint go bad in my rig, it just vibrated badly.

twistedtoy92

• Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
How's the oil quality and level in your transmission?
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
I've always have had a TINK.   Never hurt anything.

Never really found it, but I think it's the splines in the driveshaft as the noise goes away for awhile after I've lubed the driveshaft and it starts to lengthen because I added a bunch of grease.........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

joblo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '09
  • R.O.K.O.---S.O.A.S.
    • View Profile
fresh oil at correct levels.
R.O.K.O.---S.O.A.S.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
90% of the time a "tink" is u-joints. Just because they look good and feel tight does not mean they are not on their way out!!
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2014, 05:02:25 PM by OOPS »
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

joblo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '09
  • R.O.K.O.---S.O.A.S.
    • View Profile
I did the u-joints first thing figuring that was it but the noise is still there and i dont know if its just me but it seems to be getting a little louder.
R.O.K.O.---S.O.A.S.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
I did the u-joints first thing figuring that was it but the noise is still there and i dont know if its just me but it seems to be getting a little louder.
Check for play in the splines on the slip, that can do it too!!

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
I had a noise like that before, it was the transmission just lightly bottoming out in the mounts and hitting the cross member
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

joblo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '09
  • R.O.K.O.---S.O.A.S.
    • View Profile
splines are tight in the driveline, diff flanges and t-case output flange spline are also tight. only bit of movement i can see externally is slight side to side movement of the t-case outputs (bearings), but i dont know if tcase bearings would let the gears/shafts "walk" from side to side.
R.O.K.O.---S.O.A.S.

joblo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '09
  • R.O.K.O.---S.O.A.S.
    • View Profile
all the mounts are good ,fairly new trail quear bomb proof mounts for the engine and cases.
R.O.K.O.---S.O.A.S.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
all the mounts are good ,fairly new trail quear bomb proof mounts for the engine and cases.

That's your problem!!!

joblo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '09
  • R.O.K.O.---S.O.A.S.
    • View Profile
Polyurenthane transfering noise/vibration? I didnt notice the noise a year ago when i was running those mounts. Has any body else  had similar problems when running these mounts?
R.O.K.O.---S.O.A.S.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
I was JK about the mounts, except all of the TG mounts I have looked were poorly made and POS IMO.

I have had a "tink" in my drive train for many years and have never been able to find it!!!

twistedtoy92

• Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
Any of your output/input flange dust shields have dents in them? I've had those make a ding before on my 85...
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
If this happens to be a 22R series engine, check the bracket with the clamp on the left side of the bellhousing that supports the exhaust pipe. If it's loose at all it will torque over some and cause some tiny noises. I've heard it range from what sounded like a "TINK" to a loud "SCREECH" when letting out on the clutch in forward or reverse. Just a thought.  :twocents: :crossed: :beerchug:

joblo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '09
  • R.O.K.O.---S.O.A.S.
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info. I guess i'll just keep looking and "let it develop", if it does.
R.O.K.O.---S.O.A.S.