Author Topic: '01 Tacoma new transmission and clutch  (Read 2904 times)

donutslayer

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
'01 Tacoma new transmission and clutch
« on: Sep 11, 2013, 03:21:41 PM »
Afternoon,
I finally got around to getting a new transmission and clutch for me '01 Tacoma from Marlin. It is a standard build with the HD clutch. While I have the tranny dropped would it be worthwhile to replace the rear main seal and the rear oil seal? Of course while I am under there I will change all the fluids on the diff and transfer case. Anything else worth doing while I am at it?

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: '01 Tacoma new transmission and clutch
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2013, 04:38:41 PM »
Hello DS,

2001 Taco, awesome! Is it a 4cyl or 6cyl? It is common to replace the rear main seal for good measure, but if the rear oil seal is the gasket between the block and the main seal housing, then this is typically not changed unless it's leaking.

You can inspect the condition of the rear main seal by pressing your finger nail into the rubber. If it feels soft and its not leaking then I'd leave it. If its pretty hard (compare to pressing your nail into a cardboard box) then I'd replace it. Of course you could just replace it just to do it either way as they are not that expensive and you're (hopefully) unlikely to get in there for a while.

If you do replace it, then please do the following:

1) After you remove the old seal, take some medium grit sand paper and rough up the crank shaft at the contact area of the seal. This is important because after hundreds of hours of rotating inside the old seal, a smooth polished finish has formed on the crank shaft (this is what eventually leads to a leaking seal). Seals are made with a certain degree of tolerance but on the molecular level there are imperfections that must be worn in for the seal to fully seat & seal with it's mating component. If you simply slap in a new seal, the old polished finish won't be able to break the new seal in and it will end up leaking prematurely. The solution is to just add a few scuff marks to the crank shaft where you expect the crank shaft to make contact with the seal. Just rough up that old polished surface a bit. The new seal will thank you.

2) Before you install the new seal, add a bead of grease around the inner diameter of the seal. This will help the seal stay lubricated during the seal break-in period. Without this the seal may or may not run a bit warm. If it gets too warm then any surface imperfections may become glazed over thereby preventing the surfacing from breaking in properly.

The same applies with a clutch kit and is why it is advised to break-in the clutch disc in slowly:

1) The flywheel (and pressure plate) has been resurfaced with a semi-rough finish to remove the old polished surface and enable the flywheel to break the new disc in (same as #1 from above), and

2) The clutch disc is made from a fibrous material that has surface imperfections/ridges. If you overheat these ridges, they will glaze over (become cooked) and will require a much long time to wear down. If this happens, then you'll have a clutch kit that is only working via a reduced surface area along these glazed ridges (which ever ridges happened to be the tallest on a microscopic scale) and the new clutch kit will only be able to handle torque loads lower than expected (ie. once you cook it it will be easy to cook it again and again since it was never broken in properly to begin with) (same as #2 above).

The two are one in the same. Rough up the crank shaft surface so the new seal breaks in and forms a complete seat. The rest will take care of itself!

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

donutslayer [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2013, 08:40:58 AM »
BigMike,
Thanks for the reply. I have the 4 slow version that is 230k young and still going strong. I will definitely have the flywheel resurfaced by a local machine shop but it did not occur to me to also rough the surface of the crank shaft. I assume that 220 grit would work just fine or would I need to go with a finer grit?

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2013, 12:53:38 PM »
No that will work okay. Also, there is no such thing as a "4 slow" this side of 1995. ;)

BigMike

donutslayer [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2013, 10:51:54 AM »
Thanks for the correction. I read somewhere and I cannot find where I read it but is was in regards to a long extension (2') making my life easier when dropping the transmission. If this is true then I would like to pick it up before I dive in.

WTH

donutslayer [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
W59 Transmission Help
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2013, 06:39:23 PM »
For the love of god, I hope that I did not screw up too badly here. I just finished replacing the transmission, clutch, and all the fluids with Redline. I have just seen on the Tech site that it is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED to not use synthetic during the break in period. I am kicking myself for using Redline MTL with the newly built W59 from Marlin but I guess that it was out of habit. I am planing of draining the transmission and filling it up with standard GL5 80 tomorrow. I have about 2 miles on the new transmission so did I screw anything up?

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2013, 07:06:48 PM »
Hey donutslayer,

So we don't recommend synthetic gear oil because during the early stages of a synchros life they need some friction in order to "seat" or break-in. You didn't cause any damage but rather it will A) take a long time for the synchros to break in, or B) the synchros will not break in at all.

So no need to worry, simply drain out that nice Redline and save it, then replace it with standard mineral-based 75-90w GL3 or better gear oil and run that for the first 1,000-1,500 or so miles. Then replace that oil with the Redline you've got in there now and enjoy :thumbs:

BigMike

donutslayer [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2013, 09:01:39 PM »
Big Mike, you are awesome. I did exactly what you recommended.

donutslayer [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2013, 09:42:29 AM »
So far everything is great with the new setup! I noticed last night when I shifted into H4 that this position feels extremely loose compared to L4 and H2, almost like is it in neutral. I don't recall that it was this loose before but maybe it is just paranoia setting in. Then again maybe this gives me an excuse to replace my transfer case! Is this looseness in H4 normal?