Author Topic: Newbie 3rd Gen AT tire confusion  (Read 3161 times)

bluecollarjock

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Newbie 3rd Gen AT tire confusion
« on: Oct 12, 2013, 05:06:53 PM »
Hi,
I am new to this forum but seems like you all are pretty hard core and knowledgeable.  I have been trying to read various threads on 4x4 forums for the past year knowing I need new tires for my 98 4runner SR5 which currently has 265/75-17 BFG ATs on Tundra rims.  The tires got plenty of tread left, but are dry rotted and cracking.  In the past year I have replaced 3 valve stems that were so dry rotted they broke off leaving me with flats.  But I have been using the 4runner for my commuter doing Los Angeles to Orange County back and forth.  Well, commute is over now.  I have a Jeep TJ Rubicon I have been using for off roading, but want to make the 4runner mild trail worthy because its just so much more cozy on highway, I can carry more gear, and seems like it would be fun to do some long road trips and exploring in.

So, it has Racerunner coils up front which previous owner said were set to about a 2.5" lift, and rear has OME springs and Bilstein shocks.  There is plenty of space in the wheel wells.  Its a 5 speed with 4:30 gearing the previous owner said, I never verified but he said it was some rare combo with 5 speed and lower gearing, and has the factory locker. 

So I have been going back and forth on tire options.  I want to stick with ATs, I know of no mud in SoCa and am over running mudders on all my 4x4s.  Used to love them on east coast but I did lots of mudding, these days in LA I do not like the howl of mudders, wearing out faster, and I do not off road all the time so think ATs will be fine.

As far as ATs size wise I think about sticking to 265/75-17, or maybe the few tires that are available in 275/70-17, or going up to 285s.  BUt some say with 285s I will need wheel spacers to clear the UCA when aired down and wheeling.  So maybe I should stick with 265 or 275s.  So size is something I go back and forth on.  265s will be lighter, not rub, maybe better mpg, and not make it feel like more a dog since i am not regearing.  285s will have more ground clearance for wheeling, and of course look cooler hah.

Load range.....why are most of the tires in 265 or 285 either P (passenger) or E range?!?  So you either get a grocery getter tire with no sidewall strength, or you have to go 10 ply stiff tire meant for towing?  My current BFGs are C range, so I can replace them with another set of BFG, Cooper ST comes in C range and they look nice but not tons of reviews on them nor are they popular enough to find people who have them in person to get feedback on the ride, wear, and wheeling characteristics.  But most other tires by the major companies are E range.  BFG Rugged Terrains look nice, P or E.  Mickey Thompson has ATZ and STZ, but those are expensive as hell and I do not think C or D range in many options.   I like richard Cepek FC-II on my Jeep (I sold nearly new BFG KM2s and go the FC-IIs and am happy), and the new Fun Country tires look wonderful but only come in E range, plus they are so new hard to find feedback.  Discount Tire has a Cooper ATP only they sell which looks kinda nice, but only in E range.   General ATs, Hanook ATMs, other tires look decent and have good reviews but not finding them in C or D range.  So is there a big difference in ride quality going with E range, and weight of tires messing up mpg or wear and tear on front end parts (say the difference between some C range and E range tires is 10 pounds is that a lot?)....

So yea....I read threads and just get more confused....people in one thread will bash a tire, go to another forum and people love a certain tire...some people run P rated tires, others complain that even Goodyear Duratracs in C or D range do not have thick enough sidewalls for rocks or wheeling.....some folks say a 3rd Gen can stuff 285s in there no problems, others say I need wheel spacers or rims with different backspacing. 

I am going to be primarily road tripping this thing, but do want to wheel mild trails, and use it for hunting and camping.  I do not want to go with P rated tire and then have a chance to wheel with folks and be worried about my tires not holding up.

I can go with BFG ATs again, used them for years on and off many trucks, but kind of want to try something new. Maybe the Cooper STs?  But then part of me wonders, since I will not be wheeling this thing super hard, should I see what its like to have mild ATs like the Cooper ATPs, Toyo Open Country, Hanooks, etc?  Will it be that much better a ride, less noise, better mpg??  Most of my life I have ran MTs and BFG ATs and now the FC IIs on my TJ.  I have never ran a mild AT, but wonder if it would make me happier on the highway and do justice on mild wheeling trips....although they do not look as cool haha but Im getting beyond that....but whatever I get I am hoping I keep on the 4runner for a long long time so want to make right decision.

Also need to ditch running boards, get skid plates, and sliders.  Already have a nice steel front winch bumper. 

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Newbie 3rd Gen AT tire confusion
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2013, 05:36:24 PM »
Another possible option:

https://www.treadwright.com/
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

bluecollarjock [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2013, 06:06:57 PM »
I have heard of them and see them in the magazines, someone just ran them on an XJ in some cheap truck challenge....

WOW they are CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!  I surely like the price!!!! haha

Stinks though they are all E range, so thats still gonna be the 10 ply, stiff sidewall, extra heavy right?  Or am I overplaying the C range versus E range as far as stiffness, weight, mpg, etc?

The 285s are D range which is nice, but they are the old Goodyear MTRs obviously, I do not want to go that aggressive.  If anything I am tempted this time around to go milder than I ever have, to see if I appreciate better mpg, less noise, smoother ride, and can get away on mild trails here in Cali especially having the rear locker.

Dang the price is amazing though

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2013, 05:47:27 PM »
Have you seen the Falken Wild Peak?  50,000 mile tread warrantee and they are getting good reviews all over the place. I am seriously considering them for my 4Runner.  I ran MTR/wKevlar for the last year and they were great but I do over 30K miles a year so I need to run ATs for all around and maybe get some Iroks or Pitbulls just to bolt up for nasty wheeling.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

bluecollarjock [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2013, 10:55:31 PM »
Yes they seem very popular around here in LA.  And many of the 4x4 magazines guys are running them.  They are on the potential option list, I guess personal preference wise they just do not look appealing to me, but again I am trying to finally grow up and get practical tires that I can still do mild wheeling with but enjoy the on road ride more.  So weird though like all the other tires, its an E range in the 265/70-17.  Yikes 10 ply tire on a 4runner!?!?!   They 275/70-17 is a C range so if I did go with them I would rather be C range.

I also need to check pricing...I would like to narrow the list down to C and D range tires, which will make it a very short list apparently.  Then compare pricing.   

I am curious what guys opinions are of so many of the 17" rim tires being E range 10 ply, they are dang 10 pounds heavier than C range tires.  Wont that be an issue mpg wise, ride quality wise stiff on highway, and would you want a stiff tire on a lighter small SUV when airing down in the woods will it be as effective or would you need to air it down way too much?

If E range is not a big deal, and 10 pounds heavier per tire is not a big deal, then I can open up the options. 

So right now for C range tires in 265/70-17, 275/70-17 or 285/70-17 it seems like its down to BFG AT, Cooper S/T, Falken Wildpeak....I just am curious why you can  get so many great name brand popular model off road ATs and MTs on 15" rims in C range, but go to a 17" rim and they are 10 ply E load.......what the heck!  Can you fit 15" rims on a 3rd gen 4runner?! haha...maybe I should get new rims and then would have more tire options!

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2013, 10:13:49 AM »
I myself prefer 15" rims for anything up to a 35" tire, but I'm old... I think you can use 15s on a 3rd gen 4Runner but if you allready have 16s or 17s I would just go with it unless the tires are so expensive that it pays off to buy smaller rims.

I probably wouldn't stress out about a load range E tire being "stiff".  Just remember that you don't have to run 120 psi just because the sidewall says you can.  With vehicle appropriate tire preasure (maybe 30-35 psi for the road) you should still get a decent ride. There's nothing wrong with having good beefy carcasses.

On the mileage, it's been my experience that tread design and tire size will effect your mileage more than actual tire weight.  Big lugs suck alot of power and gas because of rolling resistance.  Mild AT tires will almost always fetch a mile or two per gallon better than a MT.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

bluecollarjock [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2013, 04:38:52 PM »
thank you kindly sir!