Author Topic: Newbie working on a 4runner trade  (Read 1706 times)

Perdurable

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Nov '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Newbie working on a 4runner trade
« on: Nov 21, 2012, 11:23:44 AM »
soo i lurked for a day or two and couldn't help but join in

I live in Vermont
I love riding 4wheelers/dirtbikes and playing with anything with a motor
My mechanic skills are decent i can do most anything due to the fact that im fearless to tear anything apart to fix or mod it
I want to start doing some local trails maybe build my own trail on my 12 acres and possibly join a club
I had a 92 yota pickup 22re 5speed 6 years back and i loved it and i wish i still had it

so soon im trading my 2000 chevy silverado 5.3L with a 6inch lift for a stock 3.0 94 4runner 5speed in great shape almost no rust with 250k miles on the body and supposedly 20k on the motor so probably more like 120k on the motor haha. i feel like im getting the short end of the stick on this deal but i guess that's how it goes. im looking at doing a SAS job on it but im debating the money issue and i have looked into some IFS options but none impressed me (im still open to good IFS options because they are cheeper then a SAS). I just bought a house and im building a garage this spring so i would say im going to wait till spring to start working on it so i can trail this summer, so i basically have until then to get my ducks in a row.

now if anyone in the New England area has a truck for sale/trade let me know please!!!
here's a link to my chevy on CL:
http://burlington.craigslist.org/cto/3365880585.html
its a great truck i love it and i will be sad very when its gone =(
but the gas mileage is pathetic and around 12-15mpg even with the cold air intake due to the high lift and big tires

Here is the plan so far for the yota
http://www.lceperformance.com/Solid-Axle-Swap-Kit-5-HD-85-95-4WD-P-U-4Runner-p/2051115.htm
http://www.lceperformance.com/Rear-Lift-Kit-5-79-88-4WD-P-U-84-95-4Runner-p/2051108.htm
http://www.lceperformance.com/Black-Magic-Electric-Fan-Kit-S-Blade-22R-RE-3VZ-p/1093131.htm
im sure i can find a front end from an older yota online somewhere or at a junkyard maybe
i will probably custom build my own front/rear bumpers, under armor and sliders
and as far as rims and tires i would say 35x12.50s on 15 inch rims or so im not to worried about tires right now let me know what you guys think or what else i might want to look into!!!
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2012, 12:53:31 PM by Perdurable »

shrekfj60

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 15
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Also known as sheepdawg on IH8MUD
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie working on a 4runner trade
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2012, 11:43:10 PM »
Welcome.  Didn't know there were any crawlers in New England.
All I ever learned about Islam, I learned on 9/11.

chrisprojects

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 22
  • Member since Nov '12
  • rigs apart til further notice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2012, 12:49:14 AM »
stear clear of the 3.0. nothing but a problem and head gaskets and motor work is pricy on those. try to stick to 22r 22re 2rz 3.4, youll be alot happier in the long run. 4 runner is a great choice though, either a 98 and up or 88 and under are good years . as far as trading the chevy. your gonna still need a tow rig . a second vehicle is never a bad thing

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2012, 01:58:50 AM »
:welcome:  II  :turtle:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Perdurable [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2012, 02:03:16 PM »

well its not exactly the kind of crawling your thinking of its really more of just riding trails where you encounter tricky obstacles i mean you do crawl rocky ledges here and there but its alot of woods riding to.... i suppose haha i saw a bunch of pictures of my friends jeep club doing it and now i really want to start maybe tag along with them to start off or something im not sure

stear clear of the 3.0. nothing but a problem and head gaskets and motor work is pricy on those. try to stick to 22r 22re 2rz 3.4, youll be alot happier in the long run. 4 runner is a great choice though, either a 98 and up or 88 and under are good years . as far as trading the chevy. your gonna still need a tow rig . a second vehicle is never a bad thing

Thankyou!!! my 22re pickup was a monster i loved that thing but now im talking to the guy and i don't think i want to trade my truck to him anymore his yota blue books for 2200 in the best condition my truck blue books for 6200 in the worst haha and to be honest i love the truck i would be basically giving him a good 7-8k i got into it so back on the lookout for a nice yota i go =(

also i was looking alot more into how well IFS trucks are doing and due to the price and the amount i will be using the yota im not so sure a SAS is the way for me to go =/ so perhaps ill go IFS lift or maybe ill make a custom long travel one!!! i looked at the Total Chaos Fab kits and holy crap those guys must be high 2k for the set man i could spend the next month wasting steal trying to make that same kit and probably spend less cash then that and i would have fun doing it too haha!!!
http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/products/sfID1/4/sfID2/78/sfID3/83/manufacturerID/7/productID/37432
and the kit still requires you to buy shocks and the mounting bracket!!!! so thats a good 3k total =O

anyways
Thankyou for the replies and welcomes guys have a good turkyday!!
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2012, 02:13:15 PM by Perdurable »

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2012, 05:31:13 PM »
Damn, your far away, but id trade you a built truck, or a 22re 4 door runner for your chevy

that runner your looking at is worth 1-3k, and your truck is worth 5-7k, I dunno what your thinking doing that trade?
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2012, 11:51:57 PM »
Without seeing pics of the '94 or background of how/who rebuilt the engine, it is hard to say if it would be a fair trade or not, a lot would depend on what is meant by "Almost no rust" in the North east, does it mean the rust hasn't eaten through the metal or just surface rust that can be brushed off?  If it means the rust is surface rust and the 3.0 was properly rebuilt, the trade values wouldn't be that far off given the amount of body rott that has to be repaired on your Chevy.  I imagine w/th rocker panels rotted through and the cab corners on their way it wont be long before your Chevy fails inspection.

The Runner wont get the best of mileage, likey about 15mpg w/the 5-spd and matched gears/tires.  Given what you figure you will be doing with it, IFS will work just fine.  A well set-up IFS rig and a skilled driver can get through about 90-95% of the trails available for wheeling on.  If it were I, for I would go with a 2" body lift(so you could lift the gas tank), 1.5" ball joint spacers, longer coils or a spacer in the rear, and trim/hammer the sheetmetal to clear 33-35's.  I wan't a fan of body lifts until I installed a few on rigs that lift kits until I installed a few.  When done right and kept to 2" or less BL's work rather well.  The ball joint spacers will give you more wheel travel as well as lift.  BL and BJ spacers is how I have my '91 set up and it wheels rather well.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Perdurable [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2012, 07:49:37 AM »
Thankyou Snowtoy Good info!!! :thumbs: