Author Topic: G54 Tcase on a W56C Trans?  (Read 2684 times)

nspohnholtz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 12
  • Member since Sep '12
  • Don't tread on me
    • View Profile
G54 Tcase on a W56C Trans?
« on: Sep 14, 2012, 10:56:31 AM »
First things first.. Given this is my first post.
My name is Nick Spohnholtz I am a Aerospace Gear Machinist and I live and work in Lynnwood, WA
I own a 1987 Toyota pickup 22R with RV cam, weber 32 carb, and of course a seized G54 trans.

My question is specifically this:
Can I put my Tcase from my G4 on a W56-C trans, And what would this entail?

If this IS possible I will take pictures and write an in-depth guide and post it here exclusively.

Some insight:

I recently blew my engine and replaced it with a rebuilt 22R with RV cam. I traded in my emissions rigged stock carb for a weber 32. The PO had the engine and trans rebuild by a nobody mech shop in everett and the engine had just short of 32k on it before it blew two 5" holes in the block without warning.
Shortly after the engine replacement the 1st, 3rd, and 5th gear started whining, then popping out. I lost 1st gear and was barely holding 3rd (well actually I was holding it in pretty hard) and one day I shifted to 4th and it never came out.
I have a friend with a very well running W56-C that he is selling for $250 and I am on a tight  budget or I would be buying a rebuilt trans from Marlin. The only problem is I dont want to cut my floor to wedge the shifters in my already small truck. I have heard you can put a G54 tcase on this trans however no one has posted any for sure answer or guide that I can find.   

“The core skill of innovators is error recovery, not failure avoidance.” - Randy Nelson

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: G54 Tcase on a W56C Trans?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2012, 11:31:44 AM »
That is a chain drive case and I don't think it will install on the W56. Is the C a forward shift case or what? If I were you I would scrounge around wrecking yards for the gear drive 4 cyl case that belongs on the W56.  Maybe someone would even give you little trade in on your chain drive case...  I wouldn't stress about cutting up the floor.  You can make a nice plate to screw down and it will finish out just fine.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Goldrush

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 145
  • Male Posts: 1,381
  • Member since Jan '10
  • wheelin!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2012, 12:08:35 PM »
The g54 has a gear drive t-case behind it. It will bolt up to the w56-c BUT the shifter rails are going to be a bit to long. The w56-c has shorter forward shift shofter rails than the g54. About a half an inch. So in order to bolt the g54 t-case to your w56-c, you would need to get the short style forward shift shifter rails installed into the g54 t-case. Then you would be set to go!
-Zack- aka uncle Zack!                GOT MARLIN?

nspohnholtz [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '12
  • Don't tread on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2012, 12:11:55 PM »
I am by no means a Trans/Tcase expert however with the research I have done I am almost positive the W56-C and G54 are both gear driven cases. The G58 is chain driven.
It is my understanding you can swap the shift rails on the 2 cases and it will work just fine however that is so far just hear say to my knowledge. So I am looking for more definitive answers.
“The core skill of innovators is error recovery, not failure avoidance.” - Randy Nelson

nspohnholtz [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '12
  • Don't tread on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2012, 12:16:47 PM »
The g54 has a gear drive t-case behind it. It will bolt up to the w56-c BUT the shifter rails are going to be a bit to long. The w56-c has shorter forward shift shofter rails than the g54. About a half an inch. So in order to bolt the g54 t-case to your w56-c, you would need to get the short style forward shift shifter rails installed into the g54 t-case. Then you would be set to go!

Thank you!
Ive turned almost every bolt on my truck but done nothing more than change the input shaft seal on my trans.
What exactly does swaping the rails on the cases entail? is there any fab work required? or is it a simple bolt and wrench project?
Im just trying to understand what I am doing before I do it  ;)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2012, 02:32:12 PM »
Interesting. Is it the same case with different rails then or a completely different t-case alltogether?
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Goldrush

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 145
  • Male Posts: 1,381
  • Member since Jan '10
  • wheelin!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2012, 10:27:21 PM »
Interesting. Is it the same case with different rails then or a completely different t-case alltogether?

It's going to be the exact same t-case, just different length shift linkages.
Thank you!
Ive turned almost every bolt on my truck but done nothing more than change the input shaft seal on my trans.
What exactly does swaping the rails on the cases entail? is there any fab work required? or is it a simple bolt and wrench project?
Im just trying to understand what I am doing before I do it  ;)

Absolutly no fab work at all. Pretty much just taking the housings off the t-case, knocking a couple roll pins out of the shift rails, and swapping in the shorter rails. There are pics somewhere on the website on how do disassemble a t-case and putting it back together. And yes it's the g58 transmission that had a chain drive transfer case behind it.
-Zack- aka uncle Zack!                GOT MARLIN?

IXLR8

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2012, 08:34:29 AM »
I just did this g54 to w56c swap a couple of months ago. As Goldrush said, swap shift rails, and your good to go. You don't need to cut your floor, all your shifters will be in the same place. I did use the g54 shifter, because it has a different offset then the w56 ( it was hitting my t-case shifter). If your going to replace the tranny anyways, the t-case is right there, so it's not that big of a deal. Just pull the reduction box and swap the shift rails.

nspohnholtz [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '12
  • Don't tread on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2012, 12:41:51 AM »
It's going to be the exact same t-case, just different length shift linkages.
Absolutly no fab work at all. Pretty much just taking the housings off the t-case, knocking a couple roll pins out of the shift rails, and swapping in the shorter rails. There are pics somewhere on the website on how do disassemble a t-case and putting it back together. And yes it's the g58 transmission that had a chain drive transfer case behind it.

Excellent sounds pretty basic I'll be sure to take some good photos and draw up a guide. Most likely gonna start the project this weekend. The info is much appreciated!

I just did this g54 to w56c swap a couple of months ago. As Goldrush said, swap shift rails, and your good to go. You don't need to cut your floor, all your shifters will be in the same place. I did use the g54 shifter, because it has a different offset then the w56 ( it was hitting my t-case shifter). If your going to replace the tranny anyways, the t-case is right there, so it's not that big of a deal. Just pull the reduction box and swap the shift rails.

Sweet glad to hear from someone with some personal experience. Trucks been down for 4 months so i can't wait to start this project.