Author Topic: The Journey has begun  (Read 2446 times)

4runninAway

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 9
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Newbie 6 Bolter
    • View Profile
The Journey has begun
« on: May 01, 2005, 12:02:40 AM »
The destination is have a capable wheeler I can also drive on the street. The vehicle is an `84 runner 5spd that's pretty stock. Well it was a week ago.
 I found some used 35" BFG MT that I made fit today by a big hammer and the good ole Milwaukee grinder. I plan on some suspension, steering, gear and armor in the immediate future.

I have done some research and have a basic idea of where I think I need to go but maybe . That damm 29 page thread by WT is making me dizy trying to soak in all the info. But hat's off to  yall, very informative. So here is what I think....

Front Suspension - take the rear springs out and use it for the front + some waggy springs
Q1- I need to modify the rear shakle right?
Q2- I don't need to modify the front hanger but people do to gain more lift, right?

Rear Suspension - Chevy 63's

Hy Steer - I am going to buy Marlin kit
I should rebuild the knuckles and wheel bearings at the juncture, right?

I know I need to worry about Brake lines, shocks and  front driveshaft...anything else I might need to worry about?

I need to get some software for my PC to get some pics up, so as soon as I do I will make this thread official.

Thanks to all that drop by and Happy trails

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Re: The Journey has begun
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 12:14:22 AM »
For the love of all thats holy dont put double shackles on the rear suspension setup!  Just run a single shackle thats about 7" eye to eye and move the rear hanger back a few inches.  MR4x42u runs that setup with a traction bar and it works pretty damned good.  If you go double you'll end up changing it later chances are. 

You dont need to modify the front hanger but Id still highly recomend that you do.  The stock hanger has a good chance of coming off the frame under a good hit on a rock since the steel is weekend by all the welding in that corner causing embrittlement.  Plus if your going to do it do it right to start with.  Move the front spring location ahead about 1" with a 2" drop to correct the castor angle and to pull the shackles ahead a bit.  Move the steering box as far ahead as you wish to go when you mount it, you'll thank me later.  Marlin has the best deal for quality extended brake lines going.  Id also recomend getting Marlins shock hoops for the front and getting at least a rs9000 shock.  For the front shaft just build one out of 1 1/2" and 2" square tubing.  Its way cheaper than having one done proffesionally and it will stand up to anything you can throw at it.  Plus if your not going dual cases right off the bat you can make it long enough to still be used once you have duals with no worries.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

4runninAway [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Newbie 6 Bolter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 01:08:54 PM »
LOL  no no I was talking about the rear shakle for the front suspension not the rear.
I have seem people use boomerang shakles but I'd rather not go that route, seems like it puts the truck up even higher.

I really want to keep my CG low so I would rather not lift the truck that high. I will modify the front hanger like you suggested. What about running a 2" shackle from Marlin for the front rear mount? Or even make some up.

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 07:12:46 PM »
I still need to lower my truck a couple inches but right now Im at about 5" total lift including the 3/4" body lift.  Its very doable to fit big rubber and keep the COG low at the same time. It just takes some extra elbow grease.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 12:36:40 AM »
I've cut down my shackles to about 5 1/2 inches and its now sits  level,(It was about 1 too high in the rear),no double shackles,,no buggy leafs,,no rear blocks and I like it..Flex it good,,with all the rear body hanging off I get a great tranition from tire to spring to bumber,,works well in the rocks so far..About as good as its going to get with a full length runner..
There are pics floating around in the rig gallery if you search my name,,As fas as I'm concerned its the best set up to put on a runner,,and cheap too..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

4runninAway [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Newbie 6 Bolter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 11:14:38 PM »
Another piece of the puzzle arrived today... unfortunately only 1 of 2 packages showed up. I swear those boys in brown are smoking something  wacky in the warehouse- so 2 packages leave one place the same time you think they would show up to the same destination the same time. Well apparently my hy steer arms grew legs and are walking around the UPS warehouse somewhere.

Thanks do go out to the crew at Marlin tho,placed my order this weekend and the order went out Monday and when I got back from surfing this morning, there were my tie rods and daang they are beefy!!! I'm very impressed with the finished product - Nice work. Now if UPS would get their act together I'll get dem mounted.

Located a box, Cheby springs at a yard. Now just need to chase down some brake lines, bump stops, shocks and I know there's something else I'm forgetting.

Still working on pics.....