Author Topic: 20R overheating woes..  (Read 3800 times)

raywynn

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 14
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
20R overheating woes..
« on: Jun 09, 2011, 06:57:32 PM »
My first gen with the 20R absolutely refuses to run at normal operation temperature. Any ideas?
I am taking the radiator to get boiled, flushed and brazed if need be. Past that what else can I do? I was thinking about venting the hood or maybe modding a v6 rad to fit. Anyone run electric fans, if so will it really pull more air? Also how can you find out if the clutch on a fan still works all I know is that it spins when the coolant starts to flow.
'79 Short Bed 20r, L43, 35's
'95 4runner limited all stock

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: 20R overheating woes..
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2011, 02:08:27 AM »
When does it overheat, all the time, only when in city traffic, or only on the highway?  Are you losing any coolant?  Do you have lights or an off road bumper that blocks airflow? 

Coolant issues are usually related to one or more of the following:
Bad rad,
Bad thermostat,
Collapsing hoses(upper and lower should be firm to grip),
Poor coolant mix(should be 50/50 with distilled not tap water),
Failing/Bad water pump,
Bad rad cap,
Bad head gasket.

I would start with a good inspection, and then start replacing the cheaper items.  Make sure to use a Toyota thermostat, it is worth the extra money over the parts house.

Electric fans will pull more air, if you buy the right ones.  The only one I would recommend is the black magic fan by flex-a-lite.

I would hold off on going to an electric fan until you resolve your current over heating issue, otherwise you will be masking the real issue. 

The 20r shouldn't be putting out enough heat when working properly for you to need to cut a hole in the hood, not unless you have put on a few turbos.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

HULK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 306
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2011, 07:18:36 AM »
I agree with Snowtoy, fix the overheating issue first, then move on to an electric fan.  Don't try to fix something by masking it with a more powerful fan.  Pop the radiator cap and see when the thermostat opens, if it is opening, to see if the water swirls, to see if your water pump is working good.  Also, if not sure on the thermostat, then pull it out and boil it in water and see if it opens and closes by boiling it, then running it under cold water to close it.

raywynn [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2011, 07:32:15 AM »
ok here's the lowdown. everything has been rebuilt or replaced  on this motor, I have a brand new water pump, new hoses new thermostat which opens at 170. The thermo opens when it should and the water pump is definitely flowing. I did hear a weird gurgle for a while but it went away, now when I lose fluid (which is a 50/50 mix) my rad water level is always around full which is really odd when i lose fluid. Im starting to think that maybe my rad has a clog somewhere, I also had a small pinhole leak around the bottom spout right where it meets the body of the rad that doesn't leak anymore. So I am trying to find a place to take it to get flushed boiled and all that jazz, should I find a new/rebuilt replacement? Anyone know where to find one?
oh and it tries to do it at all speeds and or rpm

HULK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 306
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 10, 2011, 10:53:20 AM »
Are you in the fresno area?  If so, I know some people.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2011, 01:44:17 AM »
With everything else new, the rad could be it.  If it is leaking it is time to rebuild it if possible, or buy a new one.

It is getting pretty hard these days to find a rad shop that will still rebuild a rad, most would rather just sell you a new aluminum w/plastic tanks radiator, the profit margin is greater.  Compare your local prices to radiators.com, or radiatorbarn.com.  I am not sure about radiator.com, but shipping is free with the radiator barn.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

raywynn [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2011, 08:14:53 PM »
UPDATE- I got my new radiator installed it and put a new 50/50 mix in it, and guess what? It still over heats regularly, checking timing tomorrow. I heard wrong timing can produce more heat anyone with 20r's have a good baseline to start at? And which way (advance/retard) produces more heat?