Author Topic: I need some help  (Read 2026 times)

93REDCRAWLER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 110
  • Male Posts: 563
  • Member since Nov '10
  • You see it we wheel it
    • View Profile
I need some help
« on: Nov 28, 2010, 02:54:22 PM »
I just bought my first toyota truck and im looking for some ideas of what i should do to it.
I just want some ideas.
Its a four cylinder 22re
with a 4 inch lift and 31 inch tires.
Anybody  have any suggestions of what i should do to make it better?

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
Re: I need some help
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2010, 03:10:09 PM »
What is your goal, what do you want it to do?
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

yoshaleng

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 134
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2010, 11:07:42 PM »
T-case gears,lockers and gears would be a must have if you plan to run bigger tires and wheeling the truck.

93REDCRAWLER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '10
  • You see it we wheel it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2010, 06:20:52 AM »
I want it to go just about anywhere. It dos really good on the sad i want to upgrade though to more rock crawling.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2010, 07:21:01 AM »
also, might want a solid front axle
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2010, 07:31:06 AM »
lockers, gears, sas
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 596
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
    • My YOTA Pics (click here)
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2010, 10:12:52 AM »
add about 15k and it will do everything u want  :thumbs:
:usa: 92 xcab, full width, 39.5 boggers, beadlocks, 60 f arb 5.86s , 60 r spool , duals, 4.7 rear... 3.sl0, bobed , all pro 6 inch leafs f and r :usa:

93REDCRAWLER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '10
  • You see it we wheel it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2010, 02:19:52 PM »
hey thanks for the tips guys i really appreciate it.
and I have another question how high would you guys lift your trucks?
what would be the best?

yota4x4sc what do you mean by 15k ?

SpencerS

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2010, 02:48:19 PM »
The first thing i would do is a sas(straight axle swap) it is a great place to start on any rig.

NITE KRAWLERS

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -35
  • Male Posts: 970
  • Member since Oct '09
  • I KNOW A SWEENEY BRO!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2010, 03:13:42 PM »
hey thanks for the tips guys i really appreciate it.
and I have another question how high would you guys lift your trucks?
what would be the best?

yota4x4sc what do you mean by 15k ?

He means if you have 15k you would build a sick krawler bro! I would try to stay around no lift or 4" of lift and 37" tires work great for it all! Depends on how you build your truck really. But lockers are a must and dual cases and you will be surprised at how much you can do wit that. Then you'll upgrade parts as they break. But if ya do lockers stick a set of 5.29's in the axles to while yo is at it... All of this will give your truck a good power ratio overall in all areas. So do that or build a buggy and then let us know wat ya think.. Oh ya the SAS is a must too man!!
Sometimes life is a rock an we need a Yota to get over it an Chevy is like a rock so I'm over it!!!

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 596
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
    • My YOTA Pics (click here)
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2010, 08:35:30 AM »
He means if you have 15k you would build a sick krawler bro! I would try to stay around no lift or 4" of lift and 37" tires work great for it all! Depends on how you build your truck really. But lockers are a must and dual cases and you will be surprised at how much you can do wit that. Then you'll upgrade parts as they break. But if ya do lockers stick a set of 5.29's in the axles to while yo is at it... All of this will give your truck a good power ratio overall in all areas. So do that or build a buggy and then let us know wat ya think.. Oh ya the SAS is a must too man!!
exactly dude  :turtle:
:usa: 92 xcab, full width, 39.5 boggers, beadlocks, 60 f arb 5.86s , 60 r spool , duals, 4.7 rear... 3.sl0, bobed , all pro 6 inch leafs f and r :usa:

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2010, 05:02:38 PM »
If this is your first 4x4, basically leave it as it is.  While you can buy/build a rig to conquer the hardest trails with ease, you can't buy trail experience, and you have a lot to learn.  Wheeling a stock rig is the best way to learn how to wheel, the skills you learn now such as how to read the trail, picking the right line, vehicle recovery, stacking rocks to gain traction etc., will be far more valuable in the long run, than any traction device, tire size etc., ever will be, and it will make you a much better driver.

I would start with the basics;
Recovery gear: a recovery strap(not tow strap or chain), gloves, shovel, basic set of hand tools, 2 ton come-a-along and tree saver(a small tow strap would also work), a high lift jack, and adding

Recovery Points front and rear:  Tow hooks on the front and rear, or d-rings.  The factory tow hook up front will work, but the oem rear bumper isn't strong enough.  If you have a drop hitch receiver, you can buy a tow hook or d-ring that slides in and bolts up, or you can make your own. 

Body armor: Rock sliders, solid front and rear bumpers.  The bumpers could wait, but the sliders shouldn't, you want to protect your rocker panels.

After that find someone similarly set-up(never wheel alone) and go do some wheeling.  Once you can run the trails within your rigs capabilities with ease, and are starting to run harder trails then add 33's, dual cases, or maybe a rear locker, and start all over again.  I have friends that went all out with their first rig, never learned the basics and after years of wheeling, they still can't pick the right line, or figure out how to get out of a tough situation, other than power down, which usually ends up breaking something.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

yoshaleng

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2010, 12:31:51 AM »
I too have a 93 extra cab 22re.... bought it stock for 3k and poured in another 9k on top just have the truck done my way.
Since then, I've urgraded to Dirty 30's, hydro assist and 37" tires but considering going down to 35". This hobby definetly takes bunch of money but it's Soooo much fun when you're done and on hard trail!

yoshaleng

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2010, 12:37:11 AM »
oh yeah, I did down size my shocks to 12" instead of the 14" i started with. 14" that was a bad idea because my lift couldn't support 14". You can tell....2nd pix is with 12", the other two are 14"....1st picture loaded everything needed for the first trip to swamp after the build.

93REDCRAWLER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '10
  • You see it we wheel it
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:28:16 PM »
yoshaleng

How big is the lift on your 93?

93REDCRAWLER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '10
  • You see it we wheel it
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:30:58 PM »
yoshaleng
Im just wondering but. What is all the stuff youve done to your 93?