Author Topic: 6" All-Pro Rears for Prerunning?  (Read 1446 times)

RynothealbinO

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 141
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
6" All-Pro Rears for Prerunning?
« on: Nov 15, 2010, 10:00:41 PM »
Hi, I was wondering what you guys think of the possibility of using All-Pro 6" rear springs (run as spring under) for a mild prerunner setup?  This would be going in an '86 Pickup that will probably get a Blazeland front setup (or TC if I can scrape up the cash).  It will get used as a DD and will mostly be used on back country roads in MN and SD so I am not too worried about landing massive jumps, but more stable performance on rutted out and washed out back roads.  I need longer travel and a softer ride than stock, but I also like to roll things so keeping the CG low is pretty important to me.  The truck WILL get rolled at some point, but if I can lessen the chances that would be good.  I figure with a 6" lift spring but converting to spring under I should end up at about stock ride height.  Anybody have any thoughts on this setup at all or have any idea of how much travel I can expect?  Any pictures of the 6" springs?
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: 6" All-Pro Rears for Prerunning?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2010, 08:51:44 AM »
Remember Fred Williams from Petersen's 4Wheel and his Toyota "Clampy"?  He use some big lift 63" chevy rears sprung under and it seemed to work great...
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2010, 11:24:13 AM »
run a wider rear axle too - especially if you are going wider on the front.  Lower and wider is better - especially if you roll trucks.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

RynothealbinO [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 141
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2010, 12:39:56 PM »
In order to run Chevies I again would have to run a set of lifted springs to run them as spring  under.  I have a set of stock 63" Chevies and could run them as spring over like usual, but dont really want to do that.  Here is a link for the ones they used on Clampy: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFY-19590/ .  As you can see their spring rate it pretty high at 425 lbs/inch (keep in mind they are for a half ton truck).  they probably worked well on a truck with wide, heavy axles, and big heavy tires that could all force it to flex, but I think for my application I will never be able to get any travel out if it.  The AP springs have a rate of 250 lbs/inch...much softer and should be able to soak up hits and washed out roads pretty well.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2010, 04:05:03 PM »
Sounds like the Allpro are the right fit for you.  I would call up Allpro and discuss it...
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K