Author Topic: Panamint Valley Days (Cal4Wheel) Nov. 12-14, 2010  (Read 1479 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Panamint Valley Days (Cal4Wheel) Nov. 12-14, 2010
« on: Oct 05, 2010, 03:47:29 AM »
Panamint Valley Days
November 12-14, 2010

Written by Erik Schreiner

An incredible weekend of trails, raffles, and food are planned for this year’s Panamint Valley Days, being held just north of Trona, California. I know from past trips that this will be another great CA4WDC event.

It will begin Friday with some cool runs through historic canyons during the day and even a sunset run. If you have never been to Panamint you have no idea what you are missing. Incredible history, beautiful canyons, and the most amazing geology Mother Earth has created. The entire weekend will be filled with runs all throughout the valley and up into the rock strewn mountains. No matter what level of skill you have or how modified your vehicle is, there will be a run for you.

When I attended my first Panamint Valley Days a few years ago I was amazed at everything going on. I remember it clearly, the Thursday night prior I could not sleep. After finally dozing off at “zero dark thirty” I awoke to the annoying buzz of my alarm clock and quickly dressed then left for work. I knew it was going to be a long day, continuously glancing at the wall clock trying to use my “Jedi mind force” to speed up time. I was tired at work but wide awake and eagerly anticipating visiting an incredible off-roading location for the first time. With the workday finally over and the family loaded we began the three hour drive out towards Death Valley.

Growing up in the Northeast (New Hampshire), I was amazed with the sparse scenery along the highways and how few patches of civilization we passed. Sunset was approaching very quickly and when the sun began to settle down behind the mountains for the night we were treated to a magnificent array of orange, red, and yellow sky. Behind us the moon was rising and beginning its turn to light our way with bright moonlight unhindered by city lights. Camp was easy to find, even in the dark.

The next day, trail rides ranged from mild to wild. Some of the mild trails visited old mines, ghost towns, and extended into Death Valley National Park. The wild trails wound through narrow canyons, where body damage was quite possible. After a day on the trail the onsite tent restaurant served up incredible, mouth watering, pit roasted meats. While the after dinner entertainment was the usual CA4WDC raffle with prizes ranging from winches to T-shirts.

The next Panamint Valley Days will be no exception to the high standard events that the many devoted volunteers work towards. It takes many people many hours to arrange these events and even though fuel prices are high our need to support our sport is higher. The money raised by these events is distributed to many legal battles that keep lands open for use. After all, you Just Empty Every Pocket building your JEEP, how will you feel when you can’t drive it in the dirt?

Follow the link below for more info and sign up. Don't know if we will be going yet, time will tell.

http://www.cal4wheel.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63&Itemid=92

Here is more local info that I've collected such as directions to the exact location, weather and some local sites.

http://spinnin4s.50.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2010, 03:54:48 AM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you