Should I buy

BUY asap
2 (40%)
Wait it out for another truck
2 (40%)
Dont even think about buying it
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Should I buy  (Read 1510 times)

toyhunter

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 263
  • Male Posts: 503
  • Member since Dec '04
  • I Dont Brake For Queers
    • View Profile
Should I buy
« on: Jan 01, 2005, 12:23:20 AM »
 I found a 82 Toyota Longbed Pickup for $2800 with 200,000 miles. It has a rebuilt trans,new alt. starter and centerforce clutch. 6inch susp. lift with 36 swampers with about 70%. It also comes with an extra rebuilt 22r ready to drop in with about 30,000 miles on it. The downside is it has the stock engine with 200k miles and stock gears(IDIOT).No rust. All new interior. Good paint

Should I buy it or wait it out for a truck with lower miles
Everyone starts off in life crawling but lots of us grow up and still are crawling around everywhere

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Re: Should I buy
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2005, 12:26:53 AM »
Id offer them 2k if they dont like it walk away.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2005, 12:38:11 AM »
I donno, you always have to remember, it is somewhat built as it is. I got my 81 with 8 inch lift, 38" dic k cepek FC, 5.29 f/r flowmaster, header, pretty much already built for 3k w/ a bunch of extra stuff. I sucks because I cant really work on it, but i still have lockers, x-over/hysteer, dual case and finishing my interior and many other stuff for me to do and since I dont have a job its great because I can already go weeling. Like WT said Id prolly offer him 2k and work from that. Its just my  :twocents: though.

HTH,
Chris
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2005, 01:32:38 AM »
way too much.  i wouldn't pay more than $1500 for it.

i wouldn't consider it "built" unless it had crossover steering, lockers and gears.  and 6" is way too much lift for 36s and a 1st gen truck.

toyhunter [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2005, 06:28:20 PM »
It pisses me off when I see people try and build trucks and all they do is put a lift kit and big tires and dont even bother with the gears or other necessary things.
Everyone starts off in life crawling but lots of us grow up and still are crawling around everywhere

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2005, 06:44:32 PM »
  Man, you guys are pretty cynical about this!  It's hard to say if it's worth it without seeing and driving it, but I also wouldn't say 200,000 on the stock engine is a bad thing.  I have over 340,000 on mine, and it's rusted stuck a couple of times(cylinders looked like they'd been sandblasted!), doesn't smoke yet either.  If you can verify the engine in the bed is a good engine that sweetens the deal too, but that could be a tall order.  If the paint is good and the interior is "new", he potentially dumped more than that in it.  It really boils down to what you want it for; are you gonna wheel it hard and bash it off the rocks?  or are you gonna DD it and occasionally do easier trails and not rub it on the rocks or trees?  If it's in really good shape I'd offer him maybe $2500 and do the latter option, but if you wanna wheel it hard hold out for one with a shitty body and build it right, and for a lot less. 
  Do you have a preferance in year?  If not I just picked up an 86 fourby and might be willing to part with it for a lot less than he wants, and I probably could come up with a straight axle for ya too.  The body is in a lot better trail shape too, so you wouldn't hafta worry about rubbin it on the trails.  Is Medford pretty close to springfield?  I never remember if that's medford or grants pass that's close.   Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

toyhunter [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2005, 08:04:43 PM »
Kneedownnate this is not actually my first choice in trucks its just something to wheel hard and probably wont die easy thats why I considered it. My first choice is an 84/5 4runner