Author Topic: Looking for a truck to start with  (Read 2304 times)

Hoogie409

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 13
  • Member since Jul '10
  • <table border="0" width="100" style="border: none;
    • View Profile
Looking for a truck to start with
« on: Jul 23, 2010, 06:35:47 PM »
hey guys im Sam,i am new to the site, after watching the island mud bogs this last weekend i have decided that it is time to look into  getting a toyota. if you guys would be so kind as to help me find a good base truck that would be awesome.
right now i am loving the looks of the 80 to 83 body style. plus the solid axel stock is a huge perk.
i am heading off to college in a few weeks so i cant be spending a lot of money.
 i am not sure if i should look to find a already lifted truck or find a cheep stock one and build it my self?
so far that is my main question at the moment but there will be more as i continue my search.
thanks again so much
Sam
1982 on 35s, 63 Chevy springs, welded rear, locked front, 5.29s, warn m8000 flush mounted, and much more...

GONZO97

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 48
  • Male Posts: 612
  • Member since Apr '09
  • travel the path less taken
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Mattress Xpress
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Looking for a truck to start with
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2010, 06:38:20 PM »
I think it really depends on if you want to build it up yourself or not
1997 4Runner Limited 3" lift on 31 M/Ts-Traded
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61054.msg749103#msg749103
1995 Xtended Cab SAS on 35's Dual Cases-Sold
1991 4Runner SAS on 33s RUF 63's in the back Bilsteins all the way around, 5.29s front and rear Detroit locked Front and Rear http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=65180.0
1988 4Runner 3.0 V6--SOLD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=97592.msg1086573#msg1086573
1996 Toyota 4Runner 3.4 V6 3" OME Lift Springs 33" Duratracs

The Build:
Coming Soon

Early

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Oct '09
  • The Buddhas ridin shotie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2010, 07:16:36 PM »
I think it really depends on if you want to build it up yourself or not

agree, and it depends on if you know what you want out of the truck. If you want something you can roll, you could pick up an already beat on and upgraded truck for allot less than the parts let alone the truck.

Most don't have 7-10k to throw down to start with something, so starting at 1-3k and going through the stages of moding isn't that bad either. you really get to know your truck. Simple things break and you fix them, things get harder to fix as you go on and you learn more and more. then eventually you have a truck that does exactly what you want.
1994  4Runner w/ full doors

My hands are dirty cause i drive a yota

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2010, 01:22:59 AM »
Start w/a stock one and modify it as your skills develop and build it to suit your needs/the terrain you like to wheel on.  Granted this will likely cost you more money in the long run, but it will also keep you from getting in over your head, and you will know how the truck was put together. 
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Hoogie409 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 13
  • Member since Jul '10
  • <table border="0" width="100" style="border: none;
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2010, 02:59:59 AM »
yeah, i wanna learn and work on my truck. i have a 04 dakota and i dont really know what all the wires do. like its to complicated for the average teen. haha. but i think with an older yota like an 81 i will be able to learn the basics that are needed and then grow with it like you guys are talking about.
i think once i get one ill just throw some 33s on there for fun. see what it can do, and then go from there.
if the 33s will get the job done then it is what it is and ill turn to building up the axels and such. but right now the plan is to find the truck.
tomorrow im planning on looking at a stock 81 for 1300. that should be a pretty good starting point, find some tires on craigslist and go from there.
1982 on 35s, 63 Chevy springs, welded rear, locked front, 5.29s, warn m8000 flush mounted, and much more...

Early

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Oct '09
  • The Buddhas ridin shotie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 24, 2010, 09:03:52 AM »
a interco 34/9.5/15 tsl got my 4runner to more places than i ever imagined. :thumbs:
1994  4Runner w/ full doors

My hands are dirty cause i drive a yota

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2010, 04:59:07 AM »
1985 best year ever, only year with a straight axle and EFI.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

HogCanyonHopper

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 7319
  • Male Posts: 1,224
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 2010, 07:56:13 AM »
Yea. I'd agree w/Snowtoy. Get a truck and build it yourself. I just picked up an '80 Hi-Lux couple months ago off Craigs List for $1,800.00. Truck was completely stock, running and that was about it. Everything was basically wore out. So I am deep in the middle of my first build and lovin' it. Great learning experience. Like said above, you really get to know your rig. Thats important. You want to know whats been done to your truck and when stuff breaks you will be better prepared to fix it yourself. BTW, I know a guy near Chico who has an '86 4Runner that needs a motor. I think he would let it go for 5bills. Everything else is there. I even have an extra 22R sittin in my shop. I want to buy it,But would have to tow it all the way uo the hill to where I live.(Oregon House). Anyway, good luck :thumbs:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88478.0
Where are we going? And why are we in a handbasket?

My friend is goin to moan this weekend - RockcrawlinJK

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Jul 26, 2010, 01:16:33 AM »
Look for something for a good deal. Dont get stuck on the factory solid axle, it still needs quite a bit of work. A stock first gen (79-83) and an IFs truck (86-95) will flex about the same so if your just gonna toss some 33s on it for now look at a bit newer truck with EFI and the option of an extra cab. When I was looking at trucks a lot of sellers caught caught up with the factory solid axle and wanted a lot of money for a junk truck when you can find later model IFS trucks in better shape for less and usually EFI. :twocents:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 26, 2010, 12:21:23 PM »
Def get EFI. Ive had both carb and EFI, and efi blows it out of the water. Carb is OK for wheelin, and can be tuned to work well, but it will still flood, start hard, and not adjust for altitude correctly. If u can get carb with propane, well then, thats badass. Get an ex cab, or 4 runner, if u r over 5'11, im 6'0 and fit in the single cabs, but they kinda small, expecially 3rd gens. I am about to sas my 88 runner, and have been rockin the ifs on it for 6 months, with 0 maintenance on front end, and flogging it daily, even go on rocks from time to time. Its held up fine, cvs r clicking now, but my sas will be under way very soon. I started my love of toyotas and wheelin with an 81 short bed, so i had solid axle from beginning, and went to ifs. I will say a solid axle stock can go more places then ifs, but the IFS with a welded rear will take u plenty of places that you shouldnt be going. The later model ones can be found in better shape, cheaper. Id look for 86-89 runners or 86-88 pickups. Either way, if u get a toyota with a 22r or re, and it has a transfer case, im pretty damn sure u wont be dissapointed.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

coloradocrawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 99
  • Member since Jun '09
  • function WAAYYYYYY before from
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 29, 2010, 06:05:33 PM »
 :grad: X2 what he said

my wife had an 87' 4runner and before we got together she fried the engine. her brother in law (a rock crawling fanatic) talked her into buying a totaled t100 from the PnP for a grand(cheap for the truck minus the bed and seats-but complete otherwise). he put the 3.4L drivetrain in it for her. when i came into the family i took over the runner and did the SAS and the other stuff. the EFI is awesome, i have a buddy that wheels a weber and he hates it enough that he doesnt go wheeling much anymore. hes saving for EFI.
here on the leftslope of CO the newer 86ish and up yotas can be found on CL frequently and for pretty cheap. the older ones with the solid axles (85 and younger) are getting scarce and people here know that they are a good find and dont mind selling them for way more than they are worth. you should be able to get an axle and the SAS parts for relatively cheap, build it yourself and mod it as your skills grow, then you will know your truck real well.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2010, 10:25:28 AM by coloradocrawler »
11C's. We are snipers too, just with bigger bullets.
87 4runner- 3.4L, ARB f&r, 5.29, longs, 39.5in IROKS, duals with a 4.7, body and topper bob'd 11in, way too much lift, and an extremely high credit card parts bill!

blackSR5

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 96
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2010, 12:34:17 PM »
I would say stay away from that dreaded 3vz v-6 (I think I got that right). I had a 91 SR5 and a 89 runner SR5 with that bleepin v-6 and ended up almost giving them away once the engine went bad. WORST engine ever invented in my opinion. I myself am looking for a 4runner with a 4banger in it. Great beginner truck!!! Good luck!!!
Want a Runner or a truck...and a DIRT BIKE!!!