Author Topic: w56 value???  (Read 1468 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
w56 value???
« on: Dec 14, 2004, 09:59:37 PM »
Ok, so I did find a w56 in the stix this weekend.  Unfortunately another guy beat me to the whole truck, 86 xcab for $500, but the seller said all he wants is the engine, and wanted to sell the rest.  I checked and it is a w56, and he's gonna give the guy my # so I can try and get the tranny or whole truck, but I don't know how much to offer for the tranny.  Assuming it's in good condition, what would be the value of it?  Also assuming it comes with a gear driven t-case?  It comes at a bad time financially for me, but I really should pick up this tranny and hold onto it till I can afford to do the rest of the project,   Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

cgbemis

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 560
  • Male Posts: 568
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Re: w56 value???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2004, 10:36:31 PM »
If it comes with T-Case, then it's worth about $550 from a junkyard (around here), or$350 from a private owner. With out T-Case, I wouldn't pay anything more than $250, and probably only $200 becuase of unknown condition. Give the guy a "woe is me" story, and see if he'll go to $150.The last W56 I got, I spent $60 on. This was a rare find, but they are out there.
If you could get someone to give you a loan, you could offer the guy $400 for the truck, and sell off the other parts from it to make your money back.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2004, 10:47:26 PM »
I was kinda thinkin about $400 for the rest of the truck too, and I kinda have it, just need it more for deposit on a house/apartment unless I move in with a friend.  There's not a lot of good parts on the truck aside from engine and tranny, they smacked a bank so hard it bent the spring hangers and leafs in the back and bent the left axle, but I have one laying on my garage floor so I could put it on.  He said it was a recent rebuild, but we all know how that goes.  I'm hoping the guy will take less but hafta wait till he feels like calling me.  Also depends on if I can find someone to buy my g58,   Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

gmrwizard

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -92
  • Male Posts: 199
  • Member since Nov '04
  • 4 Wheelin Combat Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2004, 06:58:12 AM »
Where ya live kneedownnate? I might be interested in the '86 xcab.
Beat to fit, Paint to match
Need a bigger hammer and more paint.

Did 75 Toyota (Downey 4X4 conversion Kit)
Doing 88 Toyota 4X4 (Desert race truck)
Next 81 Toyota 4x4 (drive train upgrade)

cgbemis

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 560
  • Male Posts: 568
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2004, 10:09:44 AM »
You can sell off your old T-case and take the new one. You can sell off the hubs (both freewheeling and locking), the steering box, the rear end, the drive shafts, the calipers, parts of the interior, etc. I've even sold IFS steering before. Buyers are out there for that vehicle, you just have to find them.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2004, 05:09:57 PM »
I could sell some of that stuff, and might wanna keep some of it too.  I live in Redding, a couple hours north of Sacramento.  Not a whole lot of interior parts left I think, that's why the first guy bought it.  The cab is decent, I think, but it did have a small crinkle on the rear pass side about half way up.  I also have an 87 single cab, 2wd auto so there're no holes in the floor, it was hit in right front but is otherwise good, would make good rock buggy cab if someone wants to cut off the inner fenders.  I'm not gonna give it away, but I will sell it pretty cheap, and have good doors too.   Nate
RIP KYOTA