Author Topic: possible timing issue.  (Read 1861 times)

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
possible timing issue.
« on: Feb 19, 2010, 12:01:01 PM »
will the distributer and the computer adjust the timing enough to make the 3.0 run ok.     if the tming belt is off a tooth on both cams or just one cam.   because the darn thing runs fine,   but smells rich, and cranks over kina weired.  but starts and runs fine. :help: :dunno:   please help on this issue.   i also have moved the distributer one and two teeth in both directions and it only get's worse not better.
i love oregon wheelin.

GNasty 82

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 994
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Nov '09
  • Get Nasty!!!
    • View Profile
Re: possible timing issue.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2010, 12:28:44 PM »
If your timing belt is off, there is no way to adjust the ignition timing to correct for it.  Adjusting the distributor only adjust spark timing.  The timing belt keeps cam lobes timed up with the crank/pistons.

If it is in fact running rich, it could be the ECU dumping to much fuel in the intake, which can happen at low rpm, especially if the engine is cold or you have changed the cam or if the ECU has detected a problem.  It could also be a malfunctioning O2 sensor.

Just my :twocents:
82 Toyota SR5 Pickup
  Marlin Dual Ultimate
  Front 5.29 LC HP Elocker
  Rear 5.29 Grizzly Locker
  BFG 37" KM2s
  Custom rear frame and flatbed
  Propane Powered.

Build Thread:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64521.0

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."-Thomas Jefferson

axled89 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2010, 05:45:54 PM »
thanks for the advise.   is there a way to test the ecu??   and there is no codes coming up on the dummy light.
can i test the o2 sensor???  at the idle it stinks but can't tell if it does it at higher rpm's.     please help more.
i love oregon wheelin.

GNasty 82

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • Get Nasty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2010, 11:10:48 AM »
Well, the only way I know to test ECU's is with a diagnostic kit, but all the ones I know of are OBDII only, but it looks as though your rig isn't OBDII, so I'm not sure of any way to check it.  As far as the O2 sensors go, the ECU usually handles checking of them and will give a dummy light if one is faulting.  I guessing that you haven't made any major engine mods (cam/crank/etc..) so that shouldn't be the problem.  As for my :twocents: if it runs fine and only smells rich, just run with it.

Oh, just to me sure, it doesn't smell like rotten eggs does it?  B/C if it did, it could just be your cat going bad.

And if your in a smog state, they'll let you know if it's spewing unburnt fuel when they check it.
82 Toyota SR5 Pickup
  Marlin Dual Ultimate
  Front 5.29 LC HP Elocker
  Rear 5.29 Grizzly Locker
  BFG 37" KM2s
  Propane Powered.

Build Thread:

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."-Thomas Jefferson

axled89 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2010, 01:33:48 PM »
the only thing is i don't have a cat on it.   i had cut it off of there on the last motor.   and it ran fine with no smell.  so i don't know what is going on with this thing.     and what is obd11    :dunno:
i love oregon wheelin.

GNasty 82

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • Get Nasty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2010, 06:34:55 AM »
OBDII is On-Board Diagnostics II, as in the second generation of OBD.  OBDI (the first generation) systems were often proprietary.  The automakers got together and semi standardized the system with the OBDII.

Now about your problem, if the vehicle in question is EFI (electronic fuel injection) and you have cut off the cat, then more than likely, the O2 sensor that is usually between the cat and the muffler is seeing that the cat is gone.  The ECU thinks there is still a cat that and is adjusting the mixture incorrectly.  This is all kind of surprising, since you said the 'idiot' light is not coming on.  Usually removing a cat on an EFI vehicle will cause the light to come on.

That's all I know to say.
82 Toyota SR5 Pickup
  Marlin Dual Ultimate
  Front 5.29 LC HP Elocker
  Rear 5.29 Grizzly Locker
  BFG 37" KM2s
  Propane Powered.

Build Thread:

axled89 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2010, 12:30:35 PM »
there was a cat on there before .    but it was after the o2 sensor and then there was the muffler.   now only the o2 sensor and then the flow master.
i love oregon wheelin.

GNasty 82

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '09
  • Get Nasty!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2010, 01:30:38 PM »
I don't know man.   :dunno:  I'm pretty much out of ideas.  Perhaps it was always smelled like that, but the cat could have been filtering  :dunno:.  I guess it goes back to the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
82 Toyota SR5 Pickup
  Marlin Dual Ultimate
  Front 5.29 LC HP Elocker
  Rear 5.29 Grizzly Locker
  BFG 37" KM2s
  Propane Powered.

Build Thread:

axled89 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2010, 01:32:46 PM »
 :biggthumpup:
i love oregon wheelin.