Author Topic: Congressman Tom McClintock needs our help!!  (Read 1784 times)

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
Congressman Tom McClintock needs our help!!
« on: Mar 03, 2010, 02:30:30 PM »

Dear Scott:

Because of your past interest in preserving off-highway vehicle (OHV) access, I am writing to inform you of some changes in Forest Service policies which could have an adverse impact on OHV use on public lands.

Specifically, I want to bring your attention to the Forest Service's implementation of the 2005 Travel Management Rule within Region 5 (which encompasses the Modoc, Lassen, Plumas, Tahoe, and Eldorado National Forests in our district).  I am concerned that the policy - which defines maintenance-level (ML) 3-5 roads within Region 5 as "highways" - will dramatically restrict Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) access.

I support continued OHV access via ML-3 roads and I believe the Region's position unfairly prohibits motorized access to our national forests.  OHV use is a popular recreational activity in Northern California and an important and much-needed economic driver for our area.  I believe we can protect our land for public use and ensure safety at the same time and I will urge the Forest Service to work with the OHV community to implement a balanced mixed-use policy.

I am drafting a letter to the Forest Service to express my concerns with this plan.   Because you have written me about this issue before, I would like to include any comments you may have.  Please let me know your thoughts on the matter via either postal mail or email on my Web site at www.mcclintock.house.gov.

Thank you once again for your interest and engagement on this critical issue.

Sincerely,

Tom
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: Congressman Tom McClintock needs our help!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2010, 11:38:52 PM »
I hate to look at it this way, but is there really anything we can do?  The forest service acted like they were willing to work with ohv users to map out a legal trail system, but what it boiled down to was they'd already set their minds on a goal of something like 140 miles of trials throughout ALL OF CALIFORNIA  :yikes:  They're evil and corrupt and not at all willing to work with anybody but left wing extremists and granola crunchers.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

cruzila [OP]

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
Re: Congressman Tom McClintock needs our help!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2010, 07:15:43 AM »
I have sent a letter to McClintock, Boxer and Feinstein. They represent me. These government types need to hear from the people they represent, me and you. Give up, and you give up on America.

Dear Congressman,

California vehicle code describes an OHV road or trail as "roughly graded" . I know this because I heard it directly from the Chief of the OHV Division and subsequently looked it up in CVC.

Many, many, many forest roads are ML-3 roads and fall under that description.

It is a rape of the taxpayers that these are being taken away from us as OHV users. Hunters, fishermen and recreationists are being denied something that WE paid for through funding for route designation via our Green Sticker funds.

Please stop this insanity

Scott Johnston
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest