Author Topic: Going from 5M to 7Mgte...  (Read 4665 times)

Suprarunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 215
  • Member since Jul '04
  • www.Trailwerx.com
    • View Profile
Going from 5M to 7Mgte...
« on: Aug 12, 2004, 03:34:48 PM »
Hey guy's what you think, I currently have a 5M in my 87 4runner and came across a killer deal on a 7M GTE. Now my 5M is completely rebuilt and this 7M is only a "running" motor. I'm tempted to swap but my precautious side is saying that all that extra stuff on the turbo motor is just one more thing to mess up and leave me in the woods, stick with my dependable motor. But the evil side of me is yelling MORE POWER, DO IT YOU SISSY!!! Give some opinions of what I should do...  Torn... Torn, like an old sweater.....

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Re: Going from 5M to 7Mgte...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2004, 04:47:19 PM »
Do it. there is no such thing as too much power.  Just the abuse of it causes problems....
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Brian83

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 319
  • Male Posts: 243
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2004, 05:03:58 PM »
Another vote to DO IT! you could probably pay for the swap by selling that rebuilt 5MGE to someone.
Common sense just isn't that common anymore

YotaYota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 182
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Cuttin.....Weldin.....Grindin.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2004, 05:38:46 PM »
Youi wont do it !!  :laugh:
85' Yota P/U, 37X12.50X17 BFG MT's on Steelys, Duel Cases, (2.28X4.7), V6 3rds Locked and Loaded W/ 4.88's, AllPro Rear Disk Brakes, Profeilds, All-Pro Front Sus., 4-Link w/ Sway-A-Way Air Shox, Flat Belly

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2004, 05:59:22 PM »
I say do it  :banana:  butt then it mite leave you out in the woods  :angel:  I know just get a heep and give me the runner and the spare motor . I'll share with WT so I know he like my   :idea:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Suprarunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '04
  • www.Trailwerx.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2004, 08:06:48 PM »
Aw hell.... Now I gotta deal with peer pressure too.... I beleve it might end up happening. all said and done it would be sa-weeeeeeeeeet! I guess your right Brian, it wouldn't be hard to sell the set up I have now and come out about even, for that matter I could freshen up that motor while it was out of the truck.

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2004, 08:54:38 PM »
I've got a 400HP 7MGTE in my Supra...what other motivation do you need.  DO IT!!
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2004, 05:22:12 PM »
I have no idea what those 2 engines have so can you guys fill me in?  how much horsepower does the 5M have?  the 7Mgte?  What are the spec on the 5M?  I have no ide3a what i am talkign about.  Like i said, i know nothing of motors, just the rest of the toy.

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2004, 05:30:39 PM »
i can tell u that a 5m is a 2.8l and the 7m is a 3.0l and then the 7mgte is the turbo
Im an OG

4DEES

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 1,403
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THROW SOME DEES ON THAT B1TCH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2004, 07:30:38 PM »
whats up dude? so I see u got a hold of the motor me and you  both want , so why are you debating? ??? last time i talked to you, you had said that if you were to find a 7M you would definately swap. well, i say just go for it!let me know if your gonna sell that 5M, AIGHT! later!
***ROCK BRAWLERS~Southern Cali***
 www.rockbrawlers.com 

'85 Toy, 42's and a body lift!

ROCK IT TILL THE WHEELS FALL OFF!!

Suprarunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '04
  • www.Trailwerx.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2004, 07:51:56 PM »
Shoot, it's hard. The 5M is really enough power but the 7M-GTE is just so cool. I'm gonna buy the motor and while I hunt down another truck and Supra harness I'll just drive it like it is. Then when I get done making the new harness I'll hopefully get the swap done in a weekend or two since everything else is ready for the Supra motor already. Then I can pull all the 5M stuff out and throw the 7M stuff in and sell all the 5M stuff to someone wanting to do the Supra motor swap in thier truck (hint hint YOTAon40s  :wink2:) The only two down falls about it are I want to go ahead and put a roll cage in my truck and if I do then the dash cant come out and the harness in there is permanent so it's putting my cage on hold. the other one is I just did without my truck forever geting the 5M swaped in there and I aint down with not being able to go wheelin.

4DEES

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 1,403
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THROW SOME DEES ON THAT B1TCH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 16, 2004, 09:38:12 PM »
whats up suprarunner?! well, I get the hint,lol! well whats up are you gonna sell me the 5M?????????????????? I'm seriously interested. oh, be kind on the price :sly: considering I'm only 18.let me know for sure dude!thanx, later!
***ROCK BRAWLERS~Southern Cali***
 www.rockbrawlers.com 

'85 Toy, 42's and a body lift!

ROCK IT TILL THE WHEELS FALL OFF!!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2004, 09:22:59 PM »
Hey suprarunner, since you've already done the swap, just curious what can still be used from the truck, ie tranny etc.  I'm thinkin about putting the 5m in my '80 4wd assuming I don't have to heavily modify it or dump buttloads of money into it.  I'm gonna use the g58 tranny outa my parts 4runner and am hoping it will essentially bolt to the supra engine.  Also, did you do the wire harness work yourself or have it done?  Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Suprarunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '04
  • www.Trailwerx.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2004, 05:36:08 AM »
Nate, I used everyting from my truck. Use the Supra bell housing, it will bolt up to the runner tranny. You'll have to make a couple of fuel lines and power steering lines since they all swap sides now but that's no biggie. You'll have to make some new motor mounts. And of course you'll have to ditch the AC and use an electric fan, I've seen some that keep the AC but you gotta get giggy with the fab work if you do and I just did'nt use my AC anyways so I ditched it. Do it Nate, it's not that expensive of a swap and I LOVE my motor  :love:. As far as the harness, A freind of mine is a Toyota tech so he did it for me but it's essentially just alot of cliping out the B.S. and putting power and ground to the computer and pluging everything in. I've got all the wiring schematics for it if you end up doing it I can fax them to you.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2004, 12:05:52 AM »
Man, why do you hafta go and make it sound that much more tempting?  And why did my brother the toyota nut mechanic hafta go and move to oregon when this was all his idea anyway?  I poo-pood the idea when he first brought it up, then my dad emails me and says he just put a new radiator in his 72 chevy and I could have his old one, which would make a perfect bed mount seeing as in my vintage truck it'd probably be too tight in the engine bay.  I'll hafta watch the wreckers closer for a runnin supra or cressida.  A new yard was supposed to open up recently but hasn't yet, but the yard they previously had had some great stuff so I'm hopin..............Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2004, 10:59:57 PM »
Ok suprarunner, the day after your words of encouragement there's a strong runnin one owner 85 supra in the paper for $980.  Did you call this lady and tell her to temp me further?  That's just about what I have now to start with, but it will take too long to get more for the project.  I also don't know what I would hafta do with my radiator since my truck is an '80.  What size tires are you runnin with what gears?  I currently have 4.37/4.30s and have a nice set of 35s in storage awaiting a lift and gear change, but am now wondering if I would be able to stick with my gears with the 5m.  If so that would save me a chunk of change, and I could then put that money into the transfer case gears to make it low when I really need it.  Lemme know if you have any opinions on this,  Nate
RIP KYOTA

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 295
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2004, 11:37:43 AM »
Another idea, buy another Toy to do the swap in.  Best of both sides, minus a few hitches.
Diggin a hole with plastic
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs