Author Topic: need help with wiring in the 22re to an 82 cluster.  (Read 3237 times)

cen-cal crawler

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Male Posts: 690
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
need help with wiring in the 22re to an 82 cluster.
« on: Aug 31, 2009, 12:44:31 AM »
just finished swapping in a 1994 22re into my 1982 toyota p/u but the cluster harness is from the 94 also. anyone know how to wire the 94 cluster harness to my stock 82 sr5 cluster?

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have a 94 22re ready to swap into my 83 so this is of interest to me as well.  I would think it would be easier to use the cluster wiring and wire it to the RE that way you know what wires go to oil pressure ect.

cen-cal crawler [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
I have absolutely no idea how to do this cluster swap?  :dunno: and im at wits end trying to figure it out! :help: I need to get it reffed but it will never pass the visual with the wrong cluster in it! anybody? :conf:

toyyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Hmmm. Looks like we are all in the same boat. I swapped a 91 22RE into an 83 truck. I have both complete wiring looms, both A/C and heater units, both complete dash assemblies, swapped fuel tanks and lines. The engine and tank bolt in, piece of cake. NOTHING else fits. I was planing on just swapping the complete dash as a unit...The 83 cab is 1/2 inch narrower, I got past that by trimming the cross bar and dash pad. This is where I am stalled out. The heater and A/C box from the 91 are not going to fit. I'd like  to use the 91 SR5 cluster because it has the check eng. light needed for SMOG check. Has any one been here before????? I need advise also.

cen-cal crawler [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
if your in california you have to get it refereed. I went to smog mine and no one would touch it! im sure it will pass just need it to get reffed!

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
When I installed my '97 3RZ in my '80 crawler truck, I simply wired the check engine light into a unused red area of my instrument cluster, and stuck a "check engine" sticker on the clear plastic face.
All other emissions were proper for the '97 Tacoma 4x4 smog. On the 3rd appointment it went through.
You do not have to have the matching cluster in your truck.

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

L.D.

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 74
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I'm in the same boat here guys, I have the '92 22re (with harnes to computer) installed in an '80 truck. I'm done under the hood and all looks well. I was told to splice the wires to the dash from the computer as needed. instead I striped out all the '80 wiring and the dash, and am in the proses of installing a '94 dash and wiring harnes complete uncut. it will plug into the '92 computer. I had to sand off the quarter inch tabs on the side of the dash cover and will have to narrow the support bar just a bit. thats where I'm at now. so I'm paying close attention to this thread too.
LETS GET TWISTED
i'm not a damn hippy, i'm a well groomed mountain man

toyyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
I'm eather a step ahead (or behind) you. I finished up the power steering hoses today, and the under hood wiring. I am using the complete "91" wiring loom without splices (so far). You can transfer all of the A/C sensors for heating and air if you put them side by side and move one at a time. There is a circut board that transfered also. PM me for details, I'm a work in progress, and this is not my thread.

mjos

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I did like Marlin did.  With my 22RE swap, I kept my 79' dash/gauge wiring and gauges in place.  I then just tied the Coolant gauge wire to the 22RE coolant gauge sensor.  I used the Speed sensor wire from the 79' Cluster to go to the 22RE computer and I added a CE light into one of the blank light locations thats tied to the 22RE computer.  Everything else stayed stock on the dash/gauge wiring.

I've heard of guys printing "Check Engine" onto red mylar film using an inkjet printer to satisfy the visual.
05' 4R V8 Sport, Toytec Ultimate 3", 33's, Sliders

cen-cal crawler [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
I still have no clue what wires are what! all this is good info but im still in the fog here! can someone send post a pic or diagram identifying the wires on both the 22re and original 82 cluster? thanks!

toyyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
In my case, My 83 dash was toast and I did not have A/C. My Donner was fully equipped so the dash swap made sense to me. I think the electrical is done, I have yet to fire it up. The duct work inside the dash is where I'm at for now. I cant Waite.

toyyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
O.K. It's done. I started the truck yesterday, the big blooper was blowing the 80 amp main fuse when connecting the battery. I had grounded out the main loom connection on the driver side fender apron. Today I threw in the spare square drive shaft, and drove it around in the back yard. I hope you guys are making progress...

speedemon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 13
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Nov '05
  • When's winter?
    • View Profile
I'm fixing to do this as well.  Luckily we don't have smog here, but I was previously running my 88 22re cluster till i grounded it out and burnt up the temp guage wiring on the back of the cluster... so now I'm gonna use the 83 sr5 cluster.  I'll post pics when I get around to doing it.  First I gotta redo the coolant system and rebuild the front crossmember, install the dual case adapter in the box in my garage, change the clutch.... so don't hold our breath just yet :D
2002 Tacoma sold
'84 pickup SOLD!!
'83 pickup will rise again
'86 sas runner DD
'89 runner project (for sale)
F-Toy build in progress