Author Topic: ABS Brake Issues  (Read 2183 times)

fister45

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Feb '06
  • And How!!
    • View Profile
ABS Brake Issues
« on: Jul 14, 2009, 10:31:38 AM »
OK, I did the rear disc brake conversion using brackets from sky and 85 monty calipers. I removed my LPSV and am going to install a proprotioning valve from summit. I already to the pain of removing the LSPV line up to the T junction in the pass. wheel well. My question is, I had ABS on my 95' 4runner and how do you bypass or remove the ABS Actuator without damaging the power steering system. There are two hoses the come off the power steering pump an inlet and a return line. DO I have to keep the ABS actuator becuase I swapped in a chevy 1ton MC and was planning on just running new lines for the rear and front brake lines completely bypassing the ABS crap. But the more I look at it I think I might damage the system. ANY Help please!
Wifey rolled my 4Runner so now I get to build it the way I want.

ROKTOY829

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 191
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
Re: ABS Brake Issues
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2009, 11:27:37 AM »
Are you just worried about damaging the power steering system?

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 324
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2009, 11:34:25 AM »
When i did my SAS on my taco. I just yanked out the ABS controller (put my air compressor in its place for the ARB) and removed the light in the dash so i didnt have to stare at it, passed inspection and everything. I'm still using drum brakes in back and my stock MC but i think its mostly the same so i'll give ya a quick rundown. If your not comfortable bending/flaring new lines then... well   :dunno:

Cant quite tell ya what to do with the power steering pump deal, i would just eliminate the ABS module and setup your powersteering as it would normally be in its simplest form, a pressure line the the box and a return line back to the resevoir, dont know if this helps but anyways here we go.

1 - Removed all the brake lines, removed the ABD module as well.

2- My MC had 2 ports coming out of it, one of which already had a T fitting type deal that split the 1 of the ports into 2, I ran lines from this T to the 2 front wheel wells where the soft lines connect  (dont forget to put a small coiled section in the line going to the drivers side wheel well, the distance is obviously shorter here but you want to try and keep the amount of line between the front calipers and the MC as equal as possible.

3 - I mounted my proportioning valve (got it from summit) under the hood. and ran a short line from the remaing port on the MC to that, and another line from the proportioning valve to the back along the drivers side frame rail terminating close the axle so i could mount my softline.

Hope that helps  :cool:

:thumbs:
'99 SR5/TRD Tacoma w/5vzfe. SAS'd with 64" diamond axle (w/ long superset & ARB). about 5" of lift, 305/75 x16 BFG KM1's. Soon to come: 1.5" more lift (6.5"), 35 to 37" tire, undecided at this point., 63" F/F diamond rear, Marlin 4.7 tacobox.

fister45 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '06
  • And How!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2009, 04:11:20 PM »
Crawler677: Thanks for the help but I got a question for you. Did you just make lines that ran from the power steering pump over the engine and down to the steering box or what? I am familiar with bending my own lines and have no problem doing it. Just wondering if that is how you made it work. If so then thanks, you have no idea how long this has sat and wrecked my brain. I am now a pro at search engines and have lost vision in my eyes from staring at FSM's.

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2009, 09:25:58 PM »
Not 100 percent sure what your dealing with here. my Powersteering is totally seperate from my brakes. I made braided stainless lines (you can find the fittings and hose online, i did it in a parking lot with few tools, not terribly hard). my lines run down  under the engine in front, under the rad fan and belts. I really need to drill some small holes in my front xmember or weld a tab there to zip tie them in  place. but they have been just hanging there without any problems yet.

'99 SR5/TRD Tacoma w/5vzfe. SAS'd with 64" diamond axle (w/ long superset & ARB). about 5" of lift, 305/75 x16 BFG KM1's. Soon to come: 1.5" more lift (6.5"), 35 to 37" tire, undecided at this point., 63" F/F diamond rear, Marlin 4.7 tacobox.

fister45 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '06
  • And How!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2009, 08:57:34 AM »
My set up is different I guess I have rear antilock brakes so my power steering pump is on the left side of the engine as looking right at it. My pump has the two lines that go into the brake acutator and then over to the steering box. I guess I have a different setup. Again thanks for the help.

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2009, 09:19:43 AM »
Can you get some pics of it? What do you mean by "brake actuator"?

Simply, if i were in your shoes. I would just simplify it as much as possible. there should be two ports on your power steering box, the pressure port on the bottom of the bump and the little nipple thing that goes back into the res. just plumb this into your steering box. and yank out the ABS controller. ABS is useless offroad, you wont miss it. my taco is a daily driver (mainly in the winter months) and i havent has a problem with the no ABS thing. its kinda nice actually?  :dunno:
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2009, 09:34:01 AM by Crawler677 »

ROKTOY829

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2009, 09:23:53 AM »
Ok all you need to after looking at the diagram is to take out the actuator from the power steering system. You need to go somewhere to get you some new hoses made oem is HIGH. once you done that route you a new brake line going to the rears and proprotioning valve. On the abs system you have is only a rear abs system. The actuator on that system modulates the power steering fluid pressure to control brake pressure. The extra line going back to reservoir is a dump line for the actuator. Also go in and take out the abs bulb. You will have normal p/s and braking. Hopes this helps you out.

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 15, 2009, 09:35:53 AM »
what you descirbe sounds lie kthe metering block for the abs, with lines running to it....

the abs system should have absolutely nothing to do with the pwoer steering pump

maybe you see some cooling lines for the pwoer steering and are gettign them confused?

Yeah i was like "yotas had hydroboost  :headscratch:"

Hope you get it figured out man.

ROKTOY829

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 15, 2009, 09:36:57 AM »
what you descirbe sounds lie kthe metering block for the abs, with lines running to it....

the abs system should have absolutely nothing to do with the pwoer steering pump

maybe you see some cooling lines for the pwoer steering and are gettign them confused?
That type was a option on 90-94 trucks,4runners and t100s it has a speed sensor on top of the rear diff and even a g sensor (deceleration)

ROKTOY829

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 15, 2009, 09:50:32 AM »
on this setup they are using the p/s pressure in with the abs system. the abs actuator modulates the p/s pressure to control brake pressure when the rear wheels slip. Thinking this mite have been there 1st attempt on skid control.

fister45 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '06
  • And How!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 15, 2009, 10:32:50 AM »
Thanks for all the help, I am in the process of ripping out the light for the ABS now. I just got to find someone who will make custom high pressure hoses in town and get it done. Again thanks for the help.

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 15, 2009, 10:49:10 AM »
I made my own lines using stuff from these guys (you can get toyota P/S pump adaptors from PSC)

http://www.russellperformance.com/

look for it, Russel "Powerflex" hose