Author Topic: 22r piston rings  (Read 7521 times)

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
22r piston rings
« on: Jun 27, 2009, 02:28:37 AM »
how do these things go on? do i NEED a ring expander, i can't find one anywhere

i dont quite get how they go on.... ok, from the top of the piston, there are 2 groves, about 1/10" thick, then a fat grove like 3/16" thick

no, i have a ring labeled first, second, that look like they go in the 1/10" grooves.... which one is first? the top one?

then, i have these spring things and more rings, assuming for the spring things, how do they go in the fat groove? there are 8 of the little ones packaged with the fat spring thingies.... assuming 1 on top and one on bottom of the spring thing?

what about their placement, i dont quite get it from the fsm instruction
also, the springy looking one, has a spot where the sides end, which way up or down? also which way for the gaps on all of the rings? the fsm doesnt make it clear enough to me, or i'm an idiot, maybe a little of both ;)

« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2009, 02:42:51 AM by jimbo74 »
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,556
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
Re: 22r piston rings
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2009, 03:26:01 AM »
WOW~ if you are so unsure you might have someone else do it? BUT if you really want todo it here it goes.

there is a top ring, middle ring"they kinda look the same" and oil ring"the spring one and the small ones". The package should inform you of each.

I would get a Ring expander. You can get them at NAPA, Shucks, Advanced. Any parts store.

Oil ring first. The springy one will open a little slip it into the large/bottom grove. It then gets one thin ring on the top and bottom of it. you will see/feel when they are matted with the ring correctly. Each ring gap should be offset 1/3 for max performance.

Once that is in use the ring expander to open the ring and slip the middle ring on. There should be a mark or something, OR the beveled edge will go up. If there is no difference then it doesn't matter. The mark should be close to the split of the ring.

Then the same for the top ring. This gap should be 180 out between the top and middle ring.

Before you do this you need to check the end gap of the top ring. Put the ring into the cleaned bore and then use the clear piston to push the ring down about an inch into the bore. Then using a feeler gauge to check the gap and compare with the FSM.

Oil them up and the bore, and use a spring compressor to insert them into the engine bore. Take your time, and nothing should be tight but just smooth. If you have to force it STOP and start over. Again. you might get a six pack of beer and pay someone to help you!
If you see it, its for sale.

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2009, 03:49:35 AM »
yeah, i've tried to procure help, not happening, what about the oil ring? does it matter which way is up or down? i got one piston done already, by hand, should be ok, its all been set already

std size, block has been honed, new pistons, rings, rods installed to pistons, and new bushings and wrist pins, have new bearings too.....

i think i got it, jsut want to double check everything before i toss it together.....

got the first one done without the ring expander, i know i will need the compressor to get it into the bore, and also to lube it up and the comrpessor is available, cant seem to find the ring expander anywhere though.....

as far as 1 and 2 go, i think i got those figured out also, 1 being the top of the piston and 2 being between that and the oil ring

also fsm says the side of the ring with writing goes up, my rings have writing on one side only, so i put that up

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2009, 04:34:25 AM »
I have ring pliers (spreads them) and ring compressor if you need them.

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2009, 04:43:32 AM »
As much as I would like to, I can't go to fremont, I work today.  Take your ring set to a local mechanic/parts store and have him tell you which way is up (I doubt they would charge you).  Usually there is a mark next to the Gap, and that would be up.  You can slip the rings on without pliers, but you take the chance of breaking one.  Use plenty of oil when assembling them, and make sure the pistons are in the right direction (should also be marked).

Good luck

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2009, 05:27:05 AM »
i figured out which way is up, i think, just did 1 piston

think i got it all good, just wondering about the spacing of where to put the gaps....

do i need to oil the rings and piston up while putting on the ring? or no?

i can wait until sunday, or monday, or tuesday   

i am also assuming i need to install the crank and get that all squared away first befroe i can deal with the pistons.... haha, i really need help, can you tell? 

what time are you off work? i am seriously not against tossing all my stuff in my ranger and hauling it down there

PICS

does the oil ring go up like in my picture, or the other way?

also, where do all the gaps go, in relation to the front of the piston pointing to the front of the truck?

~ John F. Kennedy ~

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2009, 06:39:33 AM »
:psss: jim i can see your piston

what did i do when i did mine  i think i put them facing down  jim  usaly on the bag the rings come in they have info on them for anyspecail instrutions
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly