Author Topic: Will a toyota rear end hold up to a v8 and extreme abuse?  (Read 3213 times)

NaturalDisaster

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 108
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Will a toyota rear end hold up to a v8 and extreme abuse?
« on: May 25, 2009, 01:41:01 AM »
Just trying to get some opinions on this here. I have been thinking of trying to run a toyota ifs rear axle under a demolition derby car it will be v8 powered 360 chrysler motor. will be running 26 inch tall tractor tread tires I was planning on using a v6 third member and going with 4.56 if i can get that ratio or 4.88 if i cant with a spool. Anyways do you guys think it will hold up? My biggest concern is the ring and pinion breaking. And also other cars hitting the wheels alot of time will break the axle shaft right off at the break drum. So do you think it will live up to the heat? Or just get torn apart in no time? Thanks for any help Ryan

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
use anotehr axle, preferrably from a fullsize, v8 powered vehicle.... demolition derby is hard on vehicles, the toy rear end is stout, but trying to milk a turnip, will leave you with a smashed turnip, and no milk.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

NaturalDisaster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Ya that was kinda my worry. I know they are tough as hell for crawling and just a 4cyl i have abused one in that manor very hard. But demolition derby is a totally different concept

wayne_l

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
im using a 351 windsor in my 85 yota and stock axles holding up fine ... but for a demolition i would use something as heavy as i could find and cheap ..lol like a dana 70 or fat sterling rear axle ...
I love my country ,but hate my goverment ...

NaturalDisaster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
I wish i could use a full floater but they dont allow that anymore. It has to be a half ton rear end. I have an 8 3/4 mopar rear axle from a 60's newyorker its just like a toy axle or a 9 inch has bolt in axles and a bolt in third member. I have no problem using this axle accept i dont have any spare shafts in case one gets broken

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
I would think that the 58" Toyota axle would be kind of narrow unless the DD car is a late model.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
If it will fit the narrower with might help. The other cars will be hitting sheetmetal first, instead of just pounding away on your axles. On the other hand when they do get your axle it might fold your tire into the body/frame enough to cause you to loose a tire, or worse.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

NaturalDisaster [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Its an old car. Its a 75 chrysler that im building. And you guys are right about the width thing. Yes it will fit with some work. The leaf springs need to be moved in about 3 inches per side and the axle will fit just fine inside the wheel wells and yes for a little while be out of harms way but the sheetmetal tends to get pushed in pretty fast. I personally think a toy axle would hold the axle shots just about at good as any other. My concern is when i am full throttle flying across the arena and hit another car the bounce of my car going from a wide open movement to a sudden stop is gonna break the small r&p

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
The only way to find out is to try it. ;)
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arb´s  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

dallen341

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
sounds dicey