Author Topic: Ever been at the right place at the right time?  (Read 2405 times)

Blingn

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 155
  • Male Posts: 2,356
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
Ever been at the right place at the right time?
« on: Mar 02, 2009, 05:21:37 PM »
Justina and I were headed to del taco.  It was just drying up from a rain when we saw a cbr600 headed way off target.  He was turning in the turn lane and the bike was going straight.  He hit the center divider hard and pieces went everywhere.  I went running up to the car that he hit and helped pull him from under the car.  His backpack was stuck in the rim of the car so the guy next to me got it out.  There was red everywhere and I was ready to  :reg: when the guy started to move and rolled over and he had hit some taco sauce and it blew up everywhere.  I told him not to move that the fire dept is on the way.  He took his helmet off even though I told him not to and layed there holding his arm.  I used to have a cbr600 so I knew how to move the bike and get it out of the way.  I also checked to make sure that the fluid leaking was not gas.  I also knew to unlock the handle bars with the key.  He turned out being able to talk and his arm and leg were thrashed, but his HELMET saved his life.  He had feeling in his legs and back did not hurt when the fire dept showed up. 

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Most of my experience falls into the "wrong place, wrong time" category.  :dunno:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

TacoStewie

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 816
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
where was this
4THEWKN

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
where was this

South Sac at Power Inn and Calvine.  Guy was turning from West bound Calvine onto North bound Power Inn and just didn't seem to turn AT ALL.  Poor guy... he's got a lot to be thankful for though! 
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2009, 06:24:38 PM by Blingn »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

TacoStewie

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 816
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
thats crazy cause one of my friends wrecked his CBR600 on Sat night and hit the center divider but he was south of fresno on the 99 when he crashed.
4THEWKN

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Sooooo... is it too soon to ask if you got me some spare parts  :disturbed:

Why was the steering locked in the first place?  Glad to hear he's not dead or a veg!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
  I also knew to unlock the handle bars with the key.  
Well there's the problem, see.....  Every time I rode with the handlebars locked, I crashed too.    :screwy:

Seriously, it's a good thing you happened to be there and could (and did!) help.  :thumbs:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

Blingn [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
yeah the steering was locked and the brake handle was broke and stuck shut bike was not moving.

Blingn [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
Why was the steering locked in the first place? i think on this model when it was turned all the way to one side and you lock the key it locks the steering not sure but when the chp and I turned the key and put the bike in nuetral we were able to roll it a bit backwards and turn the steering a bit.  I had to lift the front of the bike to get it to steer alot to get it off the road.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
:thumbs: good on you guys for stopping to help.  Unfortunately, a lot of people don't this day and age, and that oftentimes means the difference between life and death for the person in the accident.   :down:

You potentially saved everyone a lot of heartache.

:beer:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
How old was it?  I've had a 92 f2 and my 01 f4i, and both locked the steering the same way, and there was no turning it.  Actually, as soon as you turned the key to light off the ignition it unlocked the steering, so I have to wonder what kind of mess his bike was in already  :headscratch:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Blingn [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
brand new bike it either hit so hard it turn the ignition or he hit the ignition, but yeah it is the same way.  U turn the handle bars to one side then turn the key to where you can take it out. 

smokeater87

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 128
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
I think alot of people dont stop and help these days because they think that if they help they will get sued by family members or someone if the person gets seriously hurt while you are helping them.One of  the things that they taught us in the EMT class was that there are good sameritan laws stating that you can help someone in need without getting a huge lawsuit. just my  :twocents:
Putting the wet stuff on the red stuff!!!!

Blingn [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
thanks yeah I covered my :moon: when helping him out.  I told him to stay laying down and that I was not going to help him up.  THe bike or traffic was not a danger to him so I did not have to get him out of the way just kept him laying still till emt got there.  THanks for the heads up.  I have heard of that happening b4 :thumbs:

smokeater87

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 128
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
No problem anytime :thumbs:
Putting the wet stuff on the red stuff!!!!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I think alot of people dont stop and help these days because they think that if they help they will get sued by family members or someone if the person gets seriously hurt while you are helping them.One of  the things that they taught us in the EMT class was that there are good sameritan laws stating that you can help someone in need without getting a huge lawsuit. just my  :twocents:

This is not entirely true.  Good Samaritan Laws vary from state to state, and the definitions of what is protected varies.  In some states, you are only protected from criminal suits, not civil suits.

Another example in CA, is the recent supreme court judgement that essentially says good samaritans are only protected from medical actions taken (ex. CPR), not general actions (pulling someone from a car) 

http://www.californiachronicle.com/articles/view/87014

As stated in the article, there are representatives trying to change that as we type, to give immunity in any action intended to save an individual.

That being said, help is always needed and is oftentimes the difference between life and death for the victim.  Just consider your actions carefully.  Matt, good job! :thumbs:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

dweinberg01

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Hate to be the johnny know it all guy, but next time leave everything where it is.  If that guy goes to meet his maker, the measurements taken by chp or police could prove to be invaluable in court in case his family or someone sues the city saying it was there fault.

Glad the dude is okay and way to be the good samaritan, but be careful helping people at those scenes. The state court ruled last year you can be sued for any injuries caused by moving the victim.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Hate to be the johnny know it all guy, but next time leave everything where it is.  If that guy goes to meet his maker, the measurements taken by chp or police could prove to be invaluable in court in case his family or someone sues the city saying it was there fault.

Glad the dude is okay and way to be the good samaritan, but be careful helping people at those scenes. The state court ruled last year you can be sued for any injuries caused by moving the victim.

I gotta say.... we'd do it again if we had a replay of that day.  I think that just sitting and watching someone dying (or in this case, wedged underneath a car with the driver stuck inside) is just selfish.  Yeah I know, we gotta take care of ourselves, but if I was too worried about getting sued to help someone in danger then something's wrong with me.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Aaaahhhhh, gotta love that good ol fashioned paranoia  ;)  As somebody who wadded a motorbike up and was found in a field by a caltrans worker, I don't think I'd have to think twice about helping somebody after they crashed a motorbike, and having helped way more people than I'd like to remember when they crashed on rides with us, I never told somebody "I can't help you up the hill, but if you want to wait 10-20 minutes I'm sure the proper personell will be here to help!". 

It's sad when we live in such a fawked up society that people have to think twice before helping somebody out of harm's way  :shake: 
RIP KYOTA

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
I've probably stopped at 50 or so accidents over the years and offered help. On only 3 occasions, anyone was even interested in knowing who I was. One was a cop who was so impressed that I even stopped, that he took my name and number to give me some follow up on the condition of the guy. The other was the Fire Capt, who later sent a letter of appreciation. Most times, everyone is so wrapped up in what's going on that nobody bothers to get any info (at least that's my experience). The only other time someone bothered to get my info was some dumb-ass cop who wrote me up for "unsafe parking" when I used my vehicle to block oncoming traffic from hitting a downed biker.

Erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I gotta say.... we'd do it again if we had a replay of that day.  I think that just sitting and watching someone dying (or in this case, wedged underneath a car with the driver stuck inside) is just selfish.  Yeah I know, we gotta take care of ourselves, but if I was too worried about getting sued to help someone in danger then something's wrong with me.

:thumbs: exactly.  I've helped at a several myself, outside of work, and I'm the same way.  I know that the good samaritan laws don't protect me, (due to my employment, even if I'm not actually working that day) but I'd stop anyway.  As GERM said, most of the time nobody even cares to know who you are.  Lke I mentioned, it can mean the difference between life and death to have quick action taken, to prevent further injury.  (we just recently had a woman killed when she was hit by a car, then run over a few more times, the second time several minutes after the hit.  She was in a crosswalk, in a lit area.)  If someone had stopped an drug her out of the street, the outcome may have been different for her.

-Ronald Reagan

steveco.

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 321
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
old man told me a thousand time " pay attention to detail! the small things can hurt you"
Let's put a smile on that face!