Author Topic: starter grinding noise  (Read 6948 times)

91xcab

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 48
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
starter grinding noise
« on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:42:02 AM »
Last night I went to start my truck and it started cranking then just before it was about to start the starter stopped cranking the engine over and just made a loud grinding noise. I tried two more times to start it but it did not turn the engine over it just made the grinding noise again... finally on the third try it worked. Later on I went to leave my friends house and it would crank, grind, crank, grind, crank for about 20 seconds then it started. So I assume I need to get a new starter because the teeth on it are worn and it is skipping on the flywheel :dunno:. I have had starters on other vehicles grind due to the fact that they were not fully engaging because they were not shimmed properly but this starter has been working just fine up until now. I figured it has over 200k on it so it is just worn out, just wondered if this was a problem anyone else had dealt with before on a Toyota starter. I am not the best at explaining things so I hope this makes sense. I can get an aftermarket starter for $100 or so, but I really would like a Toyota one, just not sure how much they are, so I guess I will give the stealership a call......
1991 Toyota Extra Cab
  22RE
  3 in body lift - soon to be removed
  4 in Procomp IFS lift - until parts and $$$ are collected for SAS
  33" Mud Kings
  Auto to 5 speed swap COMPLETE w/ Marlin 1200lb clutch

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: starter grinding noise
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:00:34 AM »
whatever you do, don't get an aftermarket starter

you don't need to buy them new from the dealership

pull it out and confirm the teeth are stripped... maybe your flywheel is shot....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:04:34 AM »
I've had that problem at some point with almost all of my Toyotas. Every so often, rather than engaging the flywheel, it just grinds. I think what's happening is the plunger isn't going all the way out every time. So yes, time for a new starter. Somebody (maybe 4crawler?) has some rebuild instructions. I agree, don't get an aftermarket one. Rebuild it for like $20, which is exactly what you get from Toyota for a whole lot more money. When I bought my truck there was already an aftermarket starter in it, so at some point I'm going to buy a used Toyota one & rebuild it.
Zach
I like Yotatech

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:11:47 AM »
www.4crawler.com sells the replacement contacts so you rebuild your own

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

91xcab [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:14:08 AM »
Flywheel is fine, I am going to pull it out later today and see exactly whats up. If the Toyota starter is to much $$$ than I have to buy an aftermarket one (lifetime warranty), I am not made of money and have no job right now.... calling local dealer on a price right now. If I can rebuild the whole starter for $20 I will do that, if I can get a new armature (I think thats what you call the gear thing.....), if it is stripped. Thanks for the input guys.
1991 Toyota Extra Cab
  22RE
  33" Mud Kings

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:17:39 AM »
don't call the dealer, they are overpriced

contact aaron (he is a member here) @ awillis@lithia.com he works for a dealership and can get us special pricing @ a huge saving

~ John F. Kennedy ~

91xcab [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:51:19 AM »
Well I did call the dealer and ordered a remanufactured starter for $120, about the same as a remanufactured aftermarket starter, and I do not think that is over priced. The dealer I talked to said they can't get rebuild kits just individual parts so I am going to keep my old one and rebuild it in the future for a spare if the armature is still good because it is going to cost $95 for an armature, if that is what it needs I will just turn it in for the core. Thanks jimbo for the heads up on saving some cash but I need a starter ASAP. I am going to my gradfathers right now to work on it if I can get it to start. Thanks again for the help.
1991 Toyota Extra Cab
  22RE
  33" Mud Kings

91xcab [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2009, 06:47:15 AM »
I pulled the starter last night and sure enough 4 of the teeth on the gear were missing the last 1/8in or so and the rest were rounded over or chipped. From the wear on the teeth it looked like the gear was not fully engaging the flywheel for a while now, only clean metal 3/16in at the end of the teeth, the rest of the tooth was all rusted. So I tested it on the bench just for the heck of it and the gear only came out of the starter about 1/4in when it got power. I pulled it apart and looked at the contacts as well and one of the contacts was a bit worn while the other only had 2 little wear spots at each corner, :dunno: not sure if this had something to do with the issue or not but it was definitely time for a new starter. I would like to post up some starter carnage pics but for some reason the digital camera we have will not take pictures  :headscratch: it turns on just nothing happens when you hit the button......
1991 Toyota Extra Cab
  22RE
  33" Mud Kings

trey

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2009, 11:54:07 AM »
i had this problem so i screwed up and got an aftermarket starter and within the first two times of starting it i found my flywheel to have come loose (learning new things everyday :redface:) i just ended up f-ing myself and getting all toyota parts including a new flywheel and starter with all new hardware
"jeeps are like tampons, every girl thingy needs one"
     -former toyota owner (now has jeep)

Black Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 198
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2009, 09:05:12 PM »
My starter does the same thing. It usually grinds when its cold outside and on the first start up. 

91xcab [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2009, 07:21:00 AM »
I am going to pick up my new Toyota starter in a couple hours and install it, I also ordered a dual stage thermostat to hopefully cure my temp gauge overshoot problem and I bought a K&N air filter. I thought is was interesting how the starter gear was $95 and a remanufactured Toyota starter was only $2 more (after core exchange). I never had any starter problems with this truck until now so I hope my new one will be the same way.
1991 Toyota Extra Cab
  22RE
  33" Mud Kings

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2009, 05:30:47 PM »
Have you checked to see if the starter is loose? This happened to me a long time ago and it was just loose.  :twocents:
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"

91xcab [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2009, 07:34:19 AM »
The starter was definitely trashed not just loose.... I wish I was able to get some pics, missing chunks of teeth, rounded over teeth, plus it did not fully extend to fully engage with the flywheel. It is all fixed now though  :biggthumpup: the new starter is sooooo much quieter than the old one when it turns over, and does not make any noises it shouldn't.
1991 Toyota Extra Cab
  22RE
  33" Mud Kings