Author Topic: question about drive shafts with dual cases in a long bed  (Read 1541 times)

CJDavis

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
question about drive shafts with dual cases in a long bed
« on: Dec 16, 2008, 11:31:47 PM »
Looking at doing dual cases in my 85 long bed.  obviously the rear is shortened and front is lengthened, but is there any suggestions regarding the shafts.  IE using old shafts and shortening/lengthening.  I think I'm going to have to convert my rear to a one piece instead of the two connected, but don't really know.  Should I pick up a shortbed rear?

Thanks

Mnmstoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 230
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Mike's 80Toy
    • View Profile
In my 1980 Toyota long bed stock dual cases. My rear measured 52 1.4" long flange to flange. A short bed rear drive shaft was still 4" to small....and that was off a 86+ Toyota truck...maybe with a longer tranny it may fit. (I have a L50 tranny) Check the length after you install your duals and go out to P-n-P and see if you get lucky. For myself I had my rear re-tubed and balanced for $109 out the door. I believe they used 2.5" tubing .065 wall. My rear is a single tube drive shaft.
My front is a square drive shaft. 
If you don't rock crawl making the front longer should be ok. I have RUF so Mine slip more the what the stock splines up front can handle.
In this pic you can see the front square drive shaft. I have sense then replaced the CV and just use square tubing no CV.

Mike

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
I've got a '91xcab, and when I went with duals, I took both pieces of my two piece to a shop, and then retubed with 3" tubing (forget the thickness, but its thick)  and made a 1 piece.  That is what'd I'd recommend
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

CJDavis [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
thanks guys