Author Topic: won't idle any help?  (Read 2631 times)

desrodunes1

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
won't idle any help?
« on: Jun 27, 2010, 02:49:06 PM »
Got a 82 sr5 4x4 with a 22r motor, problem is I have to keep feathering the gas to keep it running , I went through the fuel system from droping the tank to fuel filter to fuel pump and rebuilt the carb so it's getting good fuel , I checked all the vac. lines to be sure they're hooked up correctly, so now i'm thinking maybe the vac dia. on the dizzy or egr and was wondering if anyone knew how to test these before replacing, any help I'd apprec. thx Mike, also anyone from san diego? maybe help diagnose this? again thx

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: won't idle any help?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2010, 05:48:05 PM »
Idle solenoid hooked up?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

desrodunes1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2010, 10:50:31 PM »
checked by putting power to it and it clicks now i have to trace it thru the harness to see if it clicks with the ign. on thx

desrodunes1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2010, 10:55:53 PM »
yep got power when when the ign. comes and and it clicks any other ideas?

GreenYoterKrawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 225
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2010, 05:37:49 AM »
I hope you got it fixed by now, but One thing i know all too well, its ur pcv valve, Its a metal valve thats attached to a hose that comes out the vlalve cover. theres 2 hoses its the rear hose, its like $3 for a valve and the rubber gromet at any auto parts store.
I blame the automatic transmission for the wussification of America
If Its got tits tires or electronics, your gonna have problems
I drive a jeep cuz toyota doesn't make strollers

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 2,779
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2010, 11:35:07 AM »
i have the same problem on my 83!! did all the the same things you did and it still dies

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2010, 01:58:18 PM »
Mine would run really really rich until it warmed up and then ran fine. My fuel mileage went from "good" to worse. I found out that my AAP (auxilary acceleration pump, diaghram) had a hole in it. I replaced it and all was well till I started reving the motor and spraying carb spray to clean things up and now it idles like crud and dies. I'm letting it sit till it's cold again. I hoping it's just dirt in the idle circuit. If it is, I'll take it all apart, clean and rebuilt it. I've got the factory 83 manual if you need specific help on things. Let me know. Be glad to help.
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

83 Crawler

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Male Posts: 2,779
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2010, 09:48:04 AM »
Mine would run really really rich until it warmed up and then ran fine. My fuel mileage went from "good" to worse. I found out that my AAP (auxilary acceleration pump, diaghram) had a hole in it. I replaced it and all was well till I started reving the motor and spraying carb spray to clean things up and now it idles like crud and dies. I'm letting it sit till it's cold again. I hoping it's just dirt in the idle circuit. If it is, I'll take it all apart, clean and rebuilt it. I've got the factory 83 manual if you need specific help on things. Let me know. Be glad to help.

cool thanks man ill PM you if if i need help  :thumbs: