Author Topic: Cool Work Assignment  (Read 968 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Cool Work Assignment
« on: Oct 30, 2008, 08:55:32 PM »
This week my boss got a request to send an engineer to the local undersea museum and he chose me.  The job is fairly simple, the museum director is having one of the outdoor exibits refurbished a bit and a significant amount of rust was found by the contractor.  My job is to recommend what needs to be done to ensure that it won't become a danger.  This includes identifying the extent of inspections that need to be done to determine what the actual condition is.  Part of the process is digging through boxes of drawings that we done by hand in the 60's to figure out the design so I've had a couple of afternoons to put my hands on true naval history.  This particular item has a classified history that may never be public knowledge, but I know the crew had to be nuts to go to 20,000 feet.  A previous version went to nearly 36,000 ft and still holds the manned record.  At that depth the pressure is 16,000 psi.  So far I found things ranging from pictures of the mockups, to drawings to hand calc's that have doodles on the back.  Very cool project.  Sadly, it will likely only be a short assignment, but I will get the opportunity to inspect the inside of the thing and be one of the last, and few, people to ever see it up close.  Normally they don't let people touch it, but I got to poke holes in it with a paint scraper.

http://www.history.navy.mil/museums/keyport/outdoorexhibit.htm (Trieste II)

:greengrin:

1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Cool Work Assignment
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2008, 08:59:04 PM »
that sounds way cool. so your getting to play with a ship frmo the 60's?
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

blackdiamond [OP]

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2008, 09:11:04 PM »
that sounds way cool. so your getting to play with a ship frmo the 60's?

Yup  :yupyup:

It was built in the late 60's and retired in the mid 80's and was basically plucked out of the water and set in the parking lot.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2008, 09:39:01 PM »
thats pretty cool, so its started to rust out and the y want to repair it?
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2008, 09:46:51 PM »
:thumbs: Thats awesome!!  That'll be a fun project
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent