Author Topic: Check Engine Light  (Read 2933 times)

Hooch

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -76
  • Male Posts: 74
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Check Engine Light
« on: Jan 16, 2006, 09:17:16 PM »
Took my 4Runner (22RE) to Winter Fun Fest. As soon as I pulled it off the trailer the check engine light came on. :smack:  It sounded fine, idle was fine, but had no power. Drove it all over town days before I left and it was fine. Was it because of Friday the 13th? Probably not. I was hoping it was something to do with the high altitude and would adjust its self. :crossed:  It never did and now i'm back home and its still on.  :mad: It will run and drive but no power at all.
 I just got back Yesterday so I havent had a chance to rip into it yet. Any suggestions were I might start? :help:

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
Re: Check Engine Light
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2006, 05:31:06 AM »
Check your error codes.  The only time I had that light come on and stay on, my alternator had went out and was overcharging the battery.
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

Hooch [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2006, 08:17:46 AM »
Check your error codes. The only time I had that light come on and stay on, my alternator had went out and was overcharging the battery.
Was it running but with no power? Or was the engine light just on?

Only one thing. I've worked on all of my rig but the engine. I mean I've changed the oil, filters, plugs, wires and that chit. But not much more then that. How would I check my error codes? Do I need a special tool?

BCD

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -79
  • Male Posts: 70
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2006, 12:08:29 PM »
I assume you have a 22re. To check the codes, grab a paper clip and unfold it into a "U" shape, then open your hood and on the passenger side of the engine compartment there is a smal blackl box, which I believe that says diagnostic on the top. open it up and on the inside of the lid will be a diagram of what each port is. locate and identify the T1 and E1, (sometimes it only says T and E1) if you are standing in front of the hood it should be the middle one and and the far back/right one. Anyway put one end of your paper clip in the T1 and the other end in the E1, then turn your ignition to the "on" position and watch your engine light, it will flash several times depending on what the problem is. There is a good linke on this board I will look for which will tell you what each code means, untill then good luck
-Brian

BCD

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -79
  • Male Posts: 70
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2006, 12:12:49 PM »
Yeah you said right at the start of your post that it was a 22re so my assumptions are correct  :hammer:
anyway here is a link that will help you better with your engine trouble

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/

dov'd85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -470
  • Male Posts: 348
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2006, 12:15:33 PM »
I assume you have a 22re. To check the codes, grab a paper clip and unfold it into a "U" shape, then open your hood and on the passenger side of the engine compartment there is a smal blackl box, which I believe that says diagnostic on the top. open it up and on the inside of the lid will be a diagram of what each port is. locate and identify the T1 and E1, (sometimes it only says T and E1) if you are standing in front of the hood it should be the middle one and and the far back/right one. Anyway put one end of your paper clip in the T1 and the other end in the E1, then turn your ignition to the "on" position and watch your engine light, it will flash several times depending on what the problem is. There is a good linke on this board I will look for which will tell you what each code means, untill then good luck
-Brian

in most cases, but if it is an 85 it will be alittle yellow plug on the drivers side inside the engine bay behind the intake on the side of the truck it is plugged into alittle rubber grommit. pull it out and put the paper ciip in it,
85 long bed: 30 spline long, hydro assist, hysteer, 223.1 twin sticks, 39.5 iroks, rear disk,
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=28696.msg344178#msg344178

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:05:43 PM »
my check engine lights been on for a year      shows a   knok sensor code   and a o2 volt somthing code..  i have  just got use to seeing it there   if it went out i think i would miss it.

BUT ya  U need to check your codes there bud  and make shore it's nothing importent/need to be fixed.
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Hooch [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:12:17 PM »
Thanks BCD your the chit. :bowdown:  That link had everything I needed. I will let you know what I find.
Thanks again. :beerchug:

1987yota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 33
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2008, 11:08:06 PM »
Thank you very much BCD...  :) :bowdown: