Author Topic: Fiberglass work...a couple ideas i have  (Read 1639 times)

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Fiberglass work...a couple ideas i have
« on: Jul 15, 2008, 09:22:01 PM »
So, i have a question about fiberglass work: how big of a project can you really do and have it come out looking clean? and whats the difficulty of doing fiberglass work?

i will do some other researching as well, but i wonder like if any body had made there on fenders or anything out of fiberglass and how it worked out for them...
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Fiberglass work...a couple ideas i have
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2008, 09:25:26 PM »
have you ever worked with fiberglass before? i have know people that made their own fenders and they turned out good.... companies make fiberglass fenders... really depends on your experience and if you know what you are doing.... fiberglass can be pretty messy though... you will need to setup molds, etc, and get the glass layers and deal with epoxy, etc.....

and i know i am a total ass, but dont you need to figure out what you are going to do with 2 worthless trucks before you start planning and building a fiberglass body parts?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2008, 09:33:14 PM »
Read CTENG's buildup.  He did a good writeup on how to work with fiberglass.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

NorCalToy [OP]

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2008, 09:40:32 PM »
have you ever worked with fiberglass before? i have know people that made their own fenders and they turned out good.... companies make fiberglass fenders... really depends on your experience and if you know what you are doing.... fiberglass can be pretty messy though... you will need to setup molds, etc, and get the glass layers and deal with epoxy, etc.....

and i know i am a total ass, but dont you need to figure out what you are going to do with 2 worthless trucks before you start planning and building a fiberglass body parts?
never worked with it before, hence the reason i started the thread about it. no problem, im just thinking oabut a few things right now and this is one of them, so i started a thread to ask about it, so that if/when the time comes i have osme solid info to go off of, and i wont have to wait for answers.

not a problem. itsa legitmitate question. :thumbs: this is kinda related to one of the plans/options with the runner...maybe not a necessity but something im curious about.

will do BD, thanks.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2008, 12:24:58 AM »
It is a messy job, but it is fairly easy. :gap:  I have patched up a few surfboards, but I really got a lesson last year when I helped Zukizzy build my fiberglass rear fenders for my bobbed/dovetailed 4 Runner. To make things a bit easier, I picked up a set of 2wd fiberglass bedsides I found on the cheap on Racedezert.com. Then we cut and then filled in the gaps.  ;)

JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2008, 12:29:46 AM »
Here is a thread by Zukizzy with another project and more info on fiberglass tech. :thumbs:

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41760.0
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/