Author Topic: Dana 60 install '97 4Runner  (Read 15830 times)

cougarfreak

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 176
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Cruise Moab '06 Kane Creek
    • View Profile
    • cougarfreakphoto.com
Re: Dana 60 install '97 4Runner
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2008, 12:40:23 AM »
managed to get both axles slung and greased and put together... but to get there, I had to drill and tap a bleed valve, broke an ez-out trying to get it to thread out, chiseled the top of the valve off to get the broken tip out, then broke the tip of the tap off trying to get the threads back. Luckily everything came out in a decent amount of time, and I was able to salvage the tap and threads and was able to get a new bleed valve to stay in. I may have to over drill it and put a helicoil in to get it to seal properly (hopefully it won't come to that), or just get a new caliper (NOOOOOO!!!)

Just when I'm about to call it a night and install the front calipers, I find that they won't mount on the Waggy backing plates that I blasted and painted so nicely won't work with the 8 lug Chevy hubs I've swapped to. Apparently the Chevy hubs have more centrally located rotor placement leaving more material at the back requiring less dish to the backing plate than the Waggy hub. So here I am, 1am with the daunting task of tearing down both front hubs, changing to the dirty rusty Chevy backing plate (that I fortunately had in my closet).

Got a new caliper from Quality, out of a Deville for some strange reason (3rd order was the charm) and put it in. All's tight now, but the front brakes just aren't up to snuff. A bit more research showed this is common and a fix is to go with a Chevy Master Cylinder. I've got a 1/2 ton one ($30) going in as soon as I receive the Sky Manufacturing adapter plate ($35).

Another glaring issue reared it's ugly head and that is the power steer lines that I have zip tied and hose clamped to the radiator arcing over the fan with no shroud :shock: have created a small leak in the radiator. I never did like the positioning of them, and mounted them expecting to put a shroud on. Turns out I'd need to make a custom shroud, and the fact of the matter is that I haven't had any cooling issues with out a shroud.

Taco speedo sensor works great, in fact with 4.56 gears and 35" tires, it reads exactly what my GPS reads.

I got the radiator fixed at the local shop for $35 to heliarc it and make sure it's sealed.

The power steer banjo bolt was the next problem area. Getting the air box outta the way was a HUGE help (Rookie to not have removed it sooner, I know) to get the banjo fitting disconnected via a 11/32nds wrench on the nut under the banjo fitting and a breaker bar. I got some 2250psi hose from the local hydraulics shop at 3.88/ft, and got some extra for on the trail spare fixer if need be.

Res end:

Steer box end:

Hose detail:

Hoses routed out of harm's way:

I've got a plastic dipped clamp I just installed tonite, so no worries about it chewing into the line for a while:

P-brake and rear spare carrier are next on the list.  I just registered for Rubithon, and it looks like I'll be attending.  I'm going to go with the 80's NorCal group on Wednesday 8am.  I've bookended the 'Con, but never completely went from one side to the other.  I'm WAY excited!!!!
I don't care if you laugh with me or at me, just laugh!!!

'97 4Runner, SAS'ed, cstm cougarfreak exo n traction bar,  YJ rears military wrapped w/ waggy main in front, Chevy 63's rear, King res. shocks & air bumps, Detroit locked D60 35sp chromo rear, '81 Waggy front D44 , chromo n superjoints, 35" BFG mud KM, Marlin 2.28 dual, twinned

http://www.cougarfreakphoto.com/index.php?ShowPage=4Runner

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2008, 10:00:36 AM »
:woohoo: sweeeeeT!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

TheCookieMonster

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2008, 10:55:12 AM »
nice work :thumbs:...i need some 60's :yesnod:

cougarfreak [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 176
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Cruise Moab '06 Kane Creek
    • View Profile
    • cougarfreakphoto.com
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2008, 02:09:09 PM »
Thanks, hopefully I'll start seeing some of you out on the trails...  now that I'm actually going to be on them!!!!
I don't care if you laugh with me or at me, just laugh!!!

'97 4Runner, SAS'ed, cstm cougarfreak exo n traction bar,  YJ rears military wrapped w/ waggy main in front, Chevy 63's rear, King res. shocks & air bumps, Detroit locked D60 35sp chromo rear, '81 Waggy front D44 , chromo n superjoints, 35" BFG mud KM, Marlin 2.28 dual, twinned

http://www.cougarfreakphoto.com/index.php?ShowPage=4Runner