Author Topic: replacing stock gears  (Read 2231 times)

BABYTOYOTA

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
replacing stock gears
« on: May 03, 2008, 09:18:18 PM »
ok i messed up my gears on my 93 toyota pick up  i got some used ones but i cant get the old ones out of the differential i need help. can any body tell me how to get them out. thanks

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: replacing stock gears
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 09:20:30 PM »
you need to pull the axleshafts out a little bit....

do you know what you are doing at all or no? if not, i recommend gettign a factory service manual and studying it... it isnt that hard... but you have to have some base of mechanics
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BABYTOYOTA [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 09:23:27 PM »
i know some what of what i am doing i just cant figure out how to pull the axle shafts out

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 09:48:52 PM »
4 bolts at the end of the housing. Remove them. The axles should slide far enough for you to remove the 3rd.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 09:56:32 PM »
:werd: unbolt the 4 bolts on the back of the wheel assembly.  You may or may not have to remove the brakelines as well.  Leave the tire and wheel mounted, and jack the truck up so there is just a little bit of space between the tire and the ground.  With a little pulling, the axle shaft should slide right out. 

Leaving the tire and wheel on does a few things for you.
1) gives you something to get a better grip on when pulling, you might have to put some effort into it. 
2) in case the truck shifts and/or falls off the jackstands, the tire will keep the truck from falling very far
3) now you don't leave the axle hanging halfway out of the axle tube, resting, and possbly damaging your axle seals.  The tire will hold the axle shaft centered (for the most part) in the seal. I'd go ahead and replace them anyway, while you've got it apart, but a lot of people don't. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 10:00:42 PM »
i left my wheels and brakelines on when i did mine, and did jsut what blackdog said.... no problems at all....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 10:02:22 PM »
:werd: unbolt the 4 bolts on the back of the wheel assembly.  You may or may not have to remove the brakelines as well.  Leave the tire and wheel mounted, and jack the truck up so there is just a little bit of space between the tire and the ground.  With a little pulling, the axle shaft should slide right out. 

Leaving the tire and wheel on does a few things for you.
1) gives you something to get a better grip on when pulling, you might have to put some effort into it. 
2) in case the truck shifts and/or falls off the jackstands, the tire will keep the truck from falling very far
3) now you don't leave the axle hanging halfway out of the axle tube, resting, and possbly damaging your axle seals.  The tire will hold the axle shaft centered (for the most part) in the seal. I'd go ahead and replace them anyway, while you've got it apart, but a lot of people don't. 

Haha, you give a little more detail than I do. :)

BABYTOYOTA [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 10:04:10 PM »
ok i ot the truck on a lift and its just a front ifs differential and i have that complet differential out of the truck and on the table. but like i said i cant get those shafts out.

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 10:06:27 PM »
Ok... so you are changing out a FRONT IFS diff? Or are you changing out the rear diff? I am confused. Or are you asking how to get the actual gears out of the 3rd member sitting on the bench?

BABYTOYOTA [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 10:08:50 PM »
changing the front ifs differential gears. sorry about the mix up

BABYTOYOTA [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 10:11:48 PM »
im trying to get the gears out of the front ifs differential

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 10:15:42 PM »
changing the front ifs differential gears. sorry about the mix up

ok, whole different story.  Does the spare diff you have sitting out have the stub shafts already in it?  If it has a flange on both ends with 6 bolts pressed through it, then yes it does.  If that is the case, all you have to do is take off the 6 nuts on either flange on the diff that is still in the truck, and use a long screwdriver or pry bar to push the flange off the CV section of the axle.  pull the diff, put the other one in, and reverse the process.  When you put the other diff in, make sure the axle ends are above the diff, and not hanging down, it is a lot easier to get them to line up when you're bringing it down, than pushing up.  

If you need to pull those stub shafts out of the diff, you've got one of two options.  One is to stick a large screwdriver between the diff and the flange, and pry it out.  It'll be tight, but then it'll pop loose, there is a c-clip holding it in the diff.  The other option is to take off the diff cover, and find the ends of the axle shafts, and tap/push them out from the inside.

You could also take a CV, slide it over the 6 bolts, thread all 6 nuts on a few threads, and give it a good yank, essentially using the CV as some sort of slide hammer.  Make sure you've got the diff held down real well though, it'd suck to pull that onto your foot

*EDIT*

This is a pic of the backside of the flange, which is supposed to be attached to the stubshaft shown below.  Obviously in my case it wasn't, but just an FYI, I got that stub shaft out of there by gripping it with the visegrips, and prying against the visegrips and the housing with a screwdriver.  It takes a little bit of effort, but you can pry it out. :thumbs:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 10:22:39 PM by BLACKDOG »

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 10:17:01 PM »
I give up.

BABYTOYOTA [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 10:33:46 PM »
ok cool that soundsalot easier then i thought it was gona be thanks. ok another question i just baught some new 33- 13.50 super swampers for my truck and i only put a1 1/2 lift on it would that be goodenoughor should igo a lil bit more?

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 10:35:12 PM »
do you like the sawsall?

BABYTOYOTA [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 10:36:41 PM »
i love that beast

BABYTOYOTA [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 10:39:11 PM »
a question for blackdog. when i put that shafts back in what do i do?

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 10:42:45 PM »
Ok, if the tires hit anything, hit what the tires are hitting with a hammer. If the hammer does not keep them from hitting, cut it off with the sawsall and either patch the hole you made or clean/paint the edge of the sheet metal you cut. If you don't want to do these things, you could install a body lift, or crank the torsion bars and use an extended shackle in the rear.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 10:45:10 PM »
Line it up, and tap it back in there with a hammer.  You'll find that those C-clips will give pretty easily, and it'll pop right back in.  

:thumbs:

33"s with an 1 1/2" lift?  They should fit.  Put them on, and make sure you can turn them completely, both left and right.  You may have to hammer the pinch seam on the firewall flat, and you may have to do a little fender trimming, but probably not much

I'll be back on tommorow, and at home, so if you can't figure out the diff issues, I can take some pictures for you, and try to explain it better :thumbs:

Goodluck!

-Ronald Reagan

BABYTOYOTA [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 10:54:44 PM »
alright thanks alot for all your guys help