Author Topic: stupid noises.... help needed again.  (Read 2275 times)

wr-ecks

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
stupid noises.... help needed again.
« on: Apr 07, 2008, 09:46:39 PM »
sorry to be such a newb and bug you guys all the time with my stupid questions but......  :help:  part of the reason i go this cruiser for such a good deal is it makes a noise. 1st off its a chevy 350 mated to a 76 landcruiser 4 spd. mated to a 67 tcase from a 3spd setup.. some history: it had the stock 3 spd and didnt make the noise till the previous owner swapped in the 4 spd.. and something that might be worth mentioning they welded a plate to the side of it for the slave cylinder since the rig didnt have a hydrolic tranny before.. now my problem: when you push the clutch in, doesnt matter how little or far it makes a noise that sounds like a bearing going out real bad. after you drive it for a little while it stops for the most part. but other then the noise it seems to work just fine. i lose clutch pressure sometimes but i think the master is going out so probably not related.
the first thing we tried was the throwout bearing cause thats the most obvious solution and when we pulled it out it was pretty beat up. nope. the new one didnt fix it.
so then a tranny guy i know said its probably the bearing the main shaft rides on in the tranny. when you push in the clutch it takes the load off of it and allows it to move. pulled it out and sure enough it was impossible to turn the shaft by hand. so i figured thats got to be it. i got a good deal on a new tranny that looked great and the adapter to run the 3 speed tcase since i got one with the lc and put them in. just started it up a few minutes ago and still makes the dang noise. what else could it be?? someone said something about adjusting the clutch or something like that and i dont see anything that can be adjusted.  im fairly mechanicly inclined i just dont have much expierence with these older setups so any advice would be great. thanks in advance for any help guys... ps: sorry about the long read.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: stupid noises.... help needed again.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2008, 09:48:47 PM »
what about the pilot bearing?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

wr-ecks [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2008, 09:56:53 PM »
the only time i had one go out it would make noise when i was just sitting there no clutch pushed in and im told (maybe hes wrong) that this is pretty much always the case. it makes no noise whatsoever until i push the clutch and stops after im done shifting.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2008, 10:00:36 PM »
sounds like the throwout bearing is bad. could also be the slave is not the proper distance from the trans and the throwout is binding on the input shaft when pedal is applied.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2008, 10:01:45 PM »
also the clutch rod on the older cruisers is adjustable via the rod that goes between the slave and the release fork. if the clutch is being pushed too far in, it can do that.

wr-ecks [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2008, 10:04:20 PM »
well i put in a brand new throwout bearing first thing. didnt fix it.  ill take a look at it tomorrow when ive got some daylight and see if adjusting it will help. if its the wrong distance away then that should make a difference right??

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2008, 10:07:13 PM »
well i put in a brand new throwout bearing first thing. didnt fix it.

what about the pilot bearing, it usually only comes into play if the clutch pedal is pushed. it is not the throwout bearing
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

wr-ecks [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2008, 10:12:04 PM »
oh.. i see..  ill mess with the adjustment tomorrow cause thats easier and if no change then ill probably put in a new pilot bearing. why not i changed everything else.  :dunno:

wr-ecks [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2008, 03:34:07 PM »
ok soo.... feelin a little dumb right now. messed with the slave cylinder and no change. but while underneath i could clearly hear the bearing noise even without the clutch pedal depressed. the 3 inch exhaust thats not quite attached right (done by the previous owner, on the long list of things to fix on this truck) kept me from hearing it up in the cab. so im 99 percent sure its the pilot bearing.  :hammer:  oh well. at least all the things ive replaced so far were things that were failing even if they hadnt broke yet. didnt feel like working on the truck today so ill get around to it sometime this week. thanks for the help.  :bowdown: