Author Topic: diy hi-steer  (Read 6563 times)

wflaw45

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 128
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
diy hi-steer
« on: Mar 19, 2008, 09:02:54 PM »
is there a do it yourself hi steer for toyota axles? (like the mecedes arms for samurai axles) if so what parts do i need and how much does it usually cost

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Re: diy hi-steer
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2008, 09:07:32 PM »
is there a do it yourself hi steer for toyota axles? (like the mecedes arms for samurai axles) if so what parts do i need and how much does it usually cost

Unless you are a machinist and can make your own arms it is not a safe thing to do. You can buy Marlin or similar arms and make the rods yourself however. You probably won't save that much. The best and easiest thing is to just buy it. You are putting your life on the line with those parts.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2008, 09:16:03 PM »
ive gone with the do it yourself arms, and never had any trouble with them, but i mostly used them as a temporary till i could afford the real billit high steer arms. ive used 3 sets of custom built crossover arms. but i wont post any pics, they are not safe for any use in my opinion

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2008, 09:42:08 PM »
is there a do it yourself hi steer for Toyota axles? (like the Mercedes arms for samurai axles) if so what parts do i need and how much does it usually cost
I used to build x-over steering out of broken "J" arms and never had a failure. I stopped doing it when the price on the high steering dropped so much. I never ran them but I did pay over $700.00 for the first high steer when I did my SAS nine years ago. It was the seconded high-steer that Marlin sold, it came with a lifetime warranty and I hit a rock wall at JV at 40 MPH and broke the trunion pin on one arm. By the time I got back to the lakebed with the tow rig Marlin was hunting me down and told to send them to him and he would send me a new set. What happened was my fault and I told him so and he said "Dave I told you when you bought the setup they had a lifetime warranty so send them to me". Cannot beat that for C.S.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2008, 09:53:52 PM »
Hold the phone....  what mercedes arms onto a sammy?  C'mon, thats new tech to me and Im a tech fiend.....  :hahaha:

Ive built a few sets of hillbilly crossover with no issues.  They worked good and are all still in use.  If you look on like page 12ish in $300 in the projects section you'll find pics of one of my sets.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

wflaw45 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 128
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2008, 05:10:01 AM »
i dont know exactly what vehicle they come off of. but if you check out bbs.zuwharrie.com the info is there if you search for it

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2008, 09:17:04 AM »
I've built many home brew hi steer setups. The only failure on any of my arms that I know of is Lilbuddy....but it kind of seems like he's been able to break just about anythink. LOL (sorry LB)
I used to heat the arms, bend them up and let them cool very slowly in a bucket of sand. Then I would dril out the hole to 3/4" and use 3/4" heim joints. You can use DOM for the draglink and tierod and weld in bungs to thread in the heims.
The more time you take on carefully heating the arms and giving them all the time they need to cool down before installing them the safer they'll turn out.
BUT, if you can at all afford it, buy some good built arms!!

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2008, 12:13:46 PM »
I realize that $300 for a hi steer kit is a lot of money for some people but you should never cut corners when it comes to braking and steering.  You could hurt your self or someone else and cost you a lot more in the long run. 

Just save for the hi steer and do it right.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2008, 12:21:13 PM »
I realize that $300 for a hi steer kit is a lot of money for some people but you should never cut corners when it comes to braking and steering.  You could hurt your self or someone else and cost you a lot more in the long run. 

Just save for the hi steer and do it right.
X2  :yupyup:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco