Author Topic: detroit problem  (Read 829 times)

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
detroit problem
« on: Feb 27, 2008, 06:52:05 PM »
so i put dual cases on my runner about two weeks ago. could find any heavy duty tubing to make a tough rear drive shaft so i got a old one from my buddy and pais some money to have it redone to my spec length and since i paid so much to it done i decided i woul have that as my DD drive shaft and just shorten my old one myself to use as my crawlin shaft. well the one i shortened is a little crooked.....just a little  . so i was on my way to go snow wheelin today and i was noticing the vibration was a little bad(not much worse than my old bent one was)so im on the free way for about 15 miles almost to sac and the all the suddin i smell gear oil and the vib gets worse. long strory not so short. there was so much vibration that it heated up my t-case so much that it accually blew the rear two gaskets out of the t-case. had to get it towed home . anyway thats the story.

that happened then i resealed everything the next day and put the good drive shaft on.

so for the last two day when i am accelerating med to hard theres been a rattling like sound kinda like a thick steel to thin steel rattle sound. so i finally figured out that it was coming from the rear diff. so i just pulled it out and the R&P look fine. oh ya and me and my friend were turning the tires in different directions and
in forward direction both spin(locked) wiether u spin the right or left ire
but if you spin the left tire in the reverse direction the right doesnt spin.
if you do the same but with the right tire the left will turn

sorry for the all the reading and if you get what im trying to say please give me som advice

4runner, cases, 3.0, 5.29, detroit, 37s
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

bluetoy84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
Re: detroit problem
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2008, 05:26:50 AM »
Are you sure it's coming from the diff?  Your detroit sounds like it's fine. That's how they are supposed to work.

A short wheel base truck or 4-runner with dual cases will almost always have driveshaft noise if you don't run a CV on the rear shaft. Makes a noise just like you described at part throttle and decceleration. Nothing to worry about if you can live with the noise.

I hear this same question all the time. People do a dual case setup and now they have this noise they didn't have before the dual cases. Most people usually think it's the t-case.  Very common problem with a short rear driveline.

On the other hand you could have burned up a bearing in the t-case, but I'm betting it's just driveline chatter due to the shorter rear driveline.

TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE..............need I say more?

Steve_925 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
Re: detroit problem
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2008, 07:44:26 PM »
i know its coming from rear axle. i put it all back together tonite and its still doing it. its coming from the passenger side. im thinking maybe from the vibration it messed up the inner seal and maybe the inner axle is clanking on it????? could that be possible? im also gonna check out my brakes tomorrow just for the hell of it. this is frustrating
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS