Author Topic: NEW UPDATE: Off Road Buggy Project  (Read 4208 times)

87_Yotaman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -134
  • Male Posts: 119
  • Member since Apr '05
  • "This is MY YOTA!"
    • View Profile
NEW UPDATE: Off Road Buggy Project
« on: Feb 04, 2008, 09:26:28 AM »
Hey,

I've got a project for a class i'm taking to finish up my machining degree, They said that the class has to design and build a tube chassis rock crawler that seats four. When they said this i knew exactly where to come for help. If anyone has some ideas, pictures, or suggestions for a design please let me know. The engine is going to run on some type of biofuel and i'm stumped on where i need to go from here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Alex
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2008, 01:17:19 PM by 87_Yotaman »

OR
  __                __
(__) l l l l l l l l (__)

rebelKrawler83

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Git Er Dun
    • View Profile
Re: Off Road Buggy Project
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2008, 11:47:09 AM »
id use full widths for the buggy
[><]YOTERBOY[><] WHEN IN DOUBT THROTTLE OUT
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=38804.0

Loosekannon

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 1,301
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SoCal--ROCKBRAWLERS--
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2008, 05:02:58 AM »
I would go to PBB for some help. You could get some good stuff there. Just hope you don't get some pricks going on your thread.

87_Yotaman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • "This is MY YOTA!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2008, 06:32:08 PM »
thanks for the advice so far. I need to know some ideas for set ups that work pretty good for:

1.) Transmission
2.) Transfer Cases
3.) Tubing (what size and what kind)
4.) Wiring
5.) Suspension

The instructor mentioned that we have somewhere around a 50,000 budget to do everything so be creative with your ideas

OR
  __                __

Birfailed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 14
  • Member since Sep '06
  • Stand on it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2008, 07:14:57 PM »
Id' go tried and true.  205 and 203 with ORD's doubler kit.  Either a SM420 or TH400 for tranny.  As far as tubing hmm...at LEAST 2 inch if not bigger for the chassy I'd say, DOM with 1/4 wall tubing.  With a 50,000 budget you could go nuts on suspension.  If it's not out of your league go 4 link all the way around...or go leaves either way.  And call up dynatrac for D-60's front and rear...you can order em all set up with gears of your choice and lockers and I think they got thier 40 spline conversion out.  I dunno what to say about bio fuel....
Go 1-Ton from the start

87_Yotaman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • "This is MY YOTA!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2008, 01:16:27 PM »
:NEW UPDATE:

Now y'all can know what I know...

ET ROCK CRAWLER

PROJECT OBJECTIVE:

To develop a plan that Western Carolina students may follow to build a World Extreme Rock Crawler that meets W.E. Rock Unlimited Class vehicle requirements.  If there are any conflicts between the specifications below and W.E. Rock Rules for Unlimited Class vehicles, the W.E. Rock Rules take precedent.  Construction of the vehicle in question will begin in August 2008 at the beginning of the WCU Fall 2008 semester and will be completed in two years using the students available in the ET Program.  The schedule for building the vehicle should be written in phases that follow the Fall, Spring, Summer periods when students are available for work.  An alternate schedule that accounts for unexpected schedule delays should be developed to complete the project in three years.  Establish logical “work packages” or blocks of work that are capable of being completed within a semester.  The budget for the project is $50K but in reality, the level of resources for the project is unknown at this time.  Two funding tracks should be developed.  One that outlines the cost of an “all new” vehicle while another accounts for a logical mix of new and used components.  If costs can be lowered without affecting the performance of the vehicle and allowing test requirements to be met, establish a Plan B that clearly layout the alternatives and substitutions that may be made.  Identify sources that are willing to donate parts, components, and/or major assemblies to this project so WCU may pursue acquisition of these items.

PROBLEM UNDER INVESTIGATION:   
Today’s engines are optimized to burn gasoline or diesel fuel, both of which are derived from oil.  The United States imports 90 % of its oil, 60 % of which is transformed into liquid transportation fuels.  With the historically high prices of oil, conflict and political instability in oil-rich regions and growing concern over climate change, alternatives to gasoline and diesel fuel are needed.  A student project that examines alternative liquid fuels derived from plant materials would be of interest to students, teach them the fundamentals of combustion chemistry and engine performance while collecting data that would show how these fuels perform in currently marketed engines.  Data on engine power output and gaseous emissions would be collected in an effort to understand the performance of various liquid fuels.
It’s been reported that in about ten years the world’s demand for transportation fuels will begin to exceed the world’s ability to produce these fuels.  A big problem, as prices for the available fuel will soar, thus the need to identify a source of clean burning Renewable Liquid Fuel (RLF).
Our project involves the testing of various forms of RLF like bio-diesel that will be manufactured at WCU.  The fuel formulas to be tested will be determined and manufactured by the Chemistry Department while the testing is conducted in the Engineering Technology Department. WCU is in the middle of determining the test equipment we will need to instrument the engine/dynamometer to measure engine performance as well as a 5-Gas Analyzer to measure emissions like carbon dioxide (CO2), nitrogen oxide (NO), hydrocarbons (HC), fine particulate matter (PM), and sulfur dioxide (SO2).
SPECIFICATIONS

GENERAL

•   Wheelbase: 125” – 130”
•   Height:  61” – 73”
•   Belly Height:  20” – 30”
•   Overall Length:  150”
•   Overall Width:  Axle width 62” or wider
•   Weight: Approximately 4000-5000 lbs.
•   Ride Height: Variable
•   Colors: Purple, Gold, and Black.
•   Applications: serious off-road for industrial applications such as for military, police and rescue work.  The vehicle should also be ideal for family outings, extended field trips in rough terrain or for use in recreational events.

DRIVE TRAIN

•   Engine: Cummins 4 cylinder Turbo Diesel 3.9L 130 - 170HP
•   Transmission: TH400 3 Speed Heavy Duty Automatic
•   Transfer Case: Atlas II 2-speed 4.3 to 1 Low Range

CHASSIS/ROLL CAGE (go to spydercustoms.com and look at the Bruiser 5 Chassis)

•   Frame: 1.75" .120 Wall D.O.M. Tubular Uni-Body design
•   Body Panels: Aluminum Tread Plate - easily replaceable

SUSPENSION

•   Wheels & Tires: 44” to 54” All Terrain w/Bead Locks

HYDRAULICS

•   Steering: Front and Rear fully hydraulic; Front rotary DCV and Rear 3 position DCV
•   Brakes: 4 Wheel vented disks

INSTRUMENTATION

•   Data Collection:  Little Black Box to collect sensor data to be downloaded into a laboratory computer (i.e. one supplier Campbell Scientific makes the Data Logger)
•   Sensors:  Measure engine performance in fuel consumption, Brake Horse Power, and RPM.  Additional performance sensors include pressure transducers on all four shocks to record course conditions, accelerometers to measure G-load on occupants and a Global Positioning System (GPS) to map the route traveled.  Emissions collection must include carbon dioxide (CO2), nitrogen oxide (NO), hydrocarbons (HC), fine particulate matter (PM), and sulfur dioxide (SO2).

SCHEDULE

•   Primary: 2 years broken into Fall, Spring, and Summer Phases.
•   Alternate: 3 years with the same phases to compensate for unexpected problems.

BUDGET

•   Total: $50,000.00 distributed according to Project Manager

PASSENGER REQUIREMENTS

•   Seating: Four to Six
•   Safety Belts (as per We Rock Unlimited Rules)

-Maybe we can get some  :turtle: donated for this project... :eyebrow:

OR
  __                __

Inittowinit

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 207
  • Member since Jan '06
  • AKA: inittowinit
    • View Profile
Re: NEW UPDATE: Off Road Buggy Project
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2008, 02:03:49 PM »
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2008, 12:00:34 AM by ` »
"Lunatic friends, I know you're out there"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PGNCeVuYBw

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2008, 02:09:19 PM »
I dont think hes looking for donations...more like a sponsorship :yesnod:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

yotakid88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 95
  • Member since Sep '05
  • on the rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2008, 03:37:26 PM »
go all toyota running gaer and have it propain or get a 2lt toyota diesel and run veggie oil in it
got low range
95/91 pickup, 3in tuff country lif and a bunch of marlins stuff.

87_Yotaman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • "This is MY YOTA!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2008, 07:57:57 AM »
Your labor looks cheap(FREE) and sounds like the finances are in the bag , :psss: you seem like a really smart guy so why would you suggest any donations?...............................And your using an Atlas II :smack:, go ask them.......... :nonono: Not one mention of a Marlin part. :nonono:

Just my  :twocents:

Hey now, before you go jumping to conclusions let it be known that the Atlas II transfer case was suggested by instructor, that was the original project sylibus as released by the professor. Since that day we have had decussions and with what i've told him he is looking to me for ideas on the parts we need to use. Next time think before you start getting onto me for what i didnt write.

I dont think hes looking for donations...more like a sponsorship :yesnod:

That would be nice, to see that big crawler that i helped build roll through and have  :turtle: :turtle: :turtle: <----those all over it... Can you say serious :bling:

OR
  __                __

Inittowinit

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 207
  • Member since Jan '06
  • AKA: inittowinit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2008, 02:47:19 PM »
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2008, 11:59:41 PM by ` »
"Lunatic friends, I know you're out there"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PGNCeVuYBw

87_Yotaman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • "This is MY YOTA!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2008, 12:07:09 PM »
Sorry to offend you Chief, but didn't you say this:

GOOD LUCK SPORT!

I was meaning the stickers, which i had the picture of, and apology accepted  :beerchug: No harm done.

Now about this project,this is my last bit of sanity left since i had to sell my yota...and...buy...a ford.  :yikes: but i'll make it, maybe, if the combined stress of this project and driving a ford dont do me in for good.

OR
  __                __