Author Topic: I Hate My Marlin Toybox........  (Read 5810 times)

Atazman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I Hate My Marlin Toybox........
« on: May 22, 2004, 09:40:55 PM »
Ever since I installed that Toybox, I cannot steer my FJ-40.  No......not blaming the Toybox; just wanted to get your attention and borrow some of your expertise.

My FJ-40 is running 35" tires, ARB lockers (front/rear), with Saginaw power steering, and stock Birfields.  I have the SM-465 tranny, so can get as low as a 290+ crawl ratio.  When I'm locked in the front and running in those lower gears, I cannot turn the steering wheel, and my power steering system screams whenever I try.  Steering problem is there even in situations where the front tires are NOT bound up in rocks.  Even after I disengage the front ARB, it still takes a while (some back/forth movement) to free everything up.  In higher gears (still locked up) all is well with the steering and no screaming power steering.

What is my problem?  Power steering pump worn out?  Steering gear box worn out? Birfields shot?  My Birfields do not pop or make any noise on the trail.

If the power steering pump is the problem..........should I replace with  the AGR pump?  I run a hydraulic winch, so I could benefit there with higher pump pressure I'm sure.

All comments appreciated.

Don Evans
Pleasanton, CA

Aaronn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • CHECK MY EBAY AUCTION
Re: I Hate My Marlin Toybox........
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 10:32:51 AM »
you're an ASS!!

just wanted to get your attention..............not a very nice way to ask for help :)

Celerity

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 28
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Go anywhere, anytime, any condition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 11:16:45 AM »
Check out the fluid in the Power Steering reservoir. Looking (smelling) for burning or checking levels.  Then, check out the hydraulic lines to the pump. Have someone steer it while you look at the fittings for leaks or hisses.   Finally, check for bent cross members or poor bushings to make sure that things aren't binding not only when you're putting it in lower gears, but as soon as it moves an inch forward.

-> Steve
We as humans have 4 obligations to God, Country, and ourselves. Travel. Respect. Learn. Pass on.

TigerToy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 12:08:53 PM »
I would say that the pump is the culprit.  You probably have to gas it a little more in higher gears, so the pump is gonna put out more pressure.  Idling over rocks and trying to turn at the same time puts a lot of strain on power steering parts.

Atazman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 02:06:31 PM »
Ok........Aaronn..........you are correct.  Not a good way to seek help, especially when I have nothing but high respect for the Toybox.  I apologize!!  By the way.........you REALLY got my attention.

Celerity........I thank you for your comments.  Everything you mentioned is in good shape except that I have not checked the condition of my power steering fluid.  I never have to top up, so maybe I have "cooked" it.  I'll check it out.  Thanks again!!

TigerToy.........I'm going to try to determine the delivery pressure of the pump.  Would just like to make sure of where the problem lies before ordering new components.  Any suggestions for how to determine whether a problem (like mine) lies within the pump or the gear box?

Sincerely & respectfully.......

Don Evans
Pleasanton, CA

TigerToy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004, 02:22:07 PM »
Just from my experience, I have had very few problems with power steering boxes, plus the fact that it seems like your problem has to do with engine rpm.  You could always buy a high pressure pump and if that doesn't solve the problem take it back  :conf: . Though, I wouldn't advise doing this too often, parts houses kinda get irritated about this kinda stuff.

Atazman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2004, 02:56:57 PM »
Do you know of any high-pressure pump better than the AGR pump? 

Your point about getting some benefit by higher RPM (hopefully more pressure) is well taken.

Thanks again........

Aaronn

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • CHECK MY EBAY AUCTION
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2004, 03:16:29 PM »
 :greengrin:

BLUCRUZ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 241
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Mar '04
  • CA4WD LIFE MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 01, 2004, 09:11:07 PM »
Do you know of any high-pressure pump better than the AGR pump? 

Your point about getting some benefit by higher RPM (hopefully more pressure) is well taken.

Thanks again........

Maybe try an underdrive pulley on the pump unit so it flows more fluid at lower rpms. I know someone who is running a milemarker winch off their pump that did this & it increased performance x2
72 FJ40. 350 Multiport EFI, turbo 400, ORION T-case, 35 Procomp's  disk brakes front & rear, ARB's F&R and an onboard shower for the ladies!
86 sr-5 4runner SAS conversion. E-lockers F&R, 5.29's 4.7 Marlin case.

Marketing

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -30
  • Male Posts: 1,639
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 01, 2004, 10:28:59 PM »
Hydraulic winch's are famous for destroying fluid and pumps. Try flushing and changing the fluid. If they does not fix it then you may need a new pump. Loose the hydraulic winch and switch to an electric.

Atazman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 07, 2004, 09:14:39 PM »
Thanks for your comments regarding (1) changing pulleys, and (2) pointing the finger to the hydraulic winch.

I just did some experimenting with my power steering pump.  I drilled out the orifice to get more volume and placed shims under the spring to get more pressure.  For sure, my MileMarker hydraulic winch speed has improved.  Steering on the trail in lower gears (did the Rubicon this past weekend) was also improved.  However, driving home on the freeway I seemed to have lost the power assist.  Started to back my FJ-40 into the driveway at home and power assist was restored.  I had power steering again just like i had on the trail.  I'm truly confused now.  I'm wondering if maybe the power steering fluid is now getting too hot at highway speeds (or too much pressure and relieving).

Looks like I solved one problem and created another one!!  Progress is not too good at that rate.

Don
Pleasanton, Ca

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 07, 2004, 11:25:59 PM »
I am betting that that bolth heat and pressure are a problem and maybe relieveing some of the heat will decease the pressure enough to make a difference
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

Atazman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 08, 2004, 12:48:25 PM »
I think you are right, 84Runner.  Today I drove it.........no squeal.......had power assist.........acted normally.  Did not drive it long enough to get it heated up, but am convinced that the temperature is the major problem.

Thanks for your comments........

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 08, 2004, 12:57:43 PM »
Im using a scoutII steering box on my current build and it started puking its fluid and blowing old hoses when I tryed using the origional toyota p/s cooler.  I put a trans cooler on it now no more heat buildup like before.  No more leaks nothing.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

CruzrDave

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 441
  • Male Posts: 4,631
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 08, 2004, 02:02:21 PM »
I had this problem on my 84 toy. When I locked in the front Detroit after 10 mins it would get so hot and cooked the fulid. I installed a auto trans cooler and the problem went away.
Taking back America, one part at a time! :madeinusa:

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 08, 2004, 02:06:16 PM »
Im gonna go do some abusive testing in the heat in a couple days and see ir I need a fan on the cooler.  It really helped to have the cooler Im sure but it starts to growl after about 30 minutes of crawling.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

megolfer

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -134
  • Male Posts: 438
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 14, 2004, 10:07:59 PM »
My FJ40 does the same thing with 37's.  Search under west tesas offroad and get setup with hydro assist.  You will never have a problem again. 

Atazman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 20, 2004, 08:50:33 PM »
You guys with hydro assist steering..........how is it to drive on the highway?  Or is it even legal to drive on the highway??  Unfortunately, my Cruiser is taking all my funds and I have not bought my Dodge Ram Diesel yet.  I have to drive the FJ-40 to the trails.

Thanks again for the comments. 

Don
Pleasanton, Ca