Author Topic: changing carbuator to efi worth it?  (Read 1293 times)

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
changing carbuator to efi worth it?
« on: Oct 18, 2007, 12:36:46 PM »
Ok not sure if there is a post like this or not, I did search and didn't find anything on it. I have a April 85 Toyota 4x4 deluxe ext cab. It is bone stock engine wise. I am carburetor and hate it. I want fuel injection! How hard would it be to swap it? Do you have to get it reff 'd? I want it all so please can someone help me. I actually have to put a new carb on it as we speak but I would like to just do an efi swap. But it has to pass California smog and not be expensive or way time consuming. If that is possible. I was thinking, get all the parts, and do the swap hopefully in a weeks time (swapping)

I know the basics like gas tank, computer, wiring harness, but I don't know everything that goes in deeper than that. So can someone who has done it let me know if it is worth it or just put a new carb on it and just let it go.
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

LOL @ IFS

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 292
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Not so common common sense.
    • View Profile
Re: changing carbuator to efi worth it?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2007, 12:45:51 PM »
I'm doing this in a couple weeks.  It's quite a bit simpler than the traditional EFI swap.

http://www.zuksoffroad.net/products/MY-T-FI.htm

yota_krawler [OP]

• Cody Hunter
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2007, 01:01:57 PM »
ya I looked at that but I don't really get it? what is it and will I still pass smog? Do you keep the carb or what?
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

LOL @ IFS

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 292
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Not so common common sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2007, 02:39:16 PM »
You might pass smog... it's the OEM  fuel injection system from a car that was sold in cali, sooo...  Not really sure how the law works, though because Cali's gay like that.  Anyway...  It's basically the mechanical fuel injection system from an early '80's VW, and it replaces your carb.  Google or Wiki K-Jetronic or Bosch CIS for more info.  You put a plate between the head and carb manifold for the fuel injectors, the VW throttle body bolts to ram tubes that bolt to where your carb used to be, and run some fuel lines, an external fuel pump and wire a solenoid or two. 

Mechanical injection works a lot like the EFI Toyota used in the '80's in the respect that the air being drawn into the engine passes by a vane, or door if you will, and the amount the door is opened determines how much fuel is fed to the engine.  The VW system is much more simple than EFI, sort of a cross between a carburetor and EFI, but won't stumble, load up, run like crap on an incline or in inclimate weather like a carb will, and according to Myron (whom I've talked on the phone with and seems like a straight guy), it will improve power and mileage.