Author Topic: 3.0 V6 Swap Questions  (Read 1801 times)

RynothealbinO

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 141
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
3.0 V6 Swap Questions
« on: Nov 14, 2007, 01:22:33 PM »
Well, I was planning on dwappjng a 7mge out of a supra but now plans have changed again (I think).  I picked up a 1990 'Runner with the 3.0 V6 and an auto for $100 over the weekend.  That was the one engine I wanted to avoid, but the whole truck was cheep and I am poor (in College), so it seems to be the reasonable choice for right now.  What do I need to do to mount this engine to the manual in my "84 'Runner?  I know it bolts up but what do I have to do with the clutch and flywheel to make it all work.  I just bought a Marlin Crawler for it this spring so I still want to use that.  Also, what do I have to do to the wiring harness, and do I need the ecu off of a manual?  Thanks for your help.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12

RynothealbinO [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
Re: 3.0 V6 Swap Questions
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2007, 03:37:48 PM »
Anyone?
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and in purity.  1 Timothy 4:12

Broke_Okie_Ty

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -6
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Jun '06
  • slightly deranged
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2007, 10:04:03 PM »
yeah scrap it, your intuitions about that motor are correct. i have the 3.0 and will soon be going to the taco 3.4. being in college, you don't got the cash flow for it. for starters assuming you have a good motor, you'd have to get a r150 (v6 5spd) and an adapter to run your duels, not to mention a 23 spline input shaft for your front case. then you got to get a cpu out of a manual truck. that right there sets you back at least 6 c-notes. if the motor is junk, to rebuild it correctly is $3200. its a big ordeal to get those motors going right, i just went throw it. i made the mistake of buying one with a blown head gasket, thinking it was as easy to fix as the 4 cyls. if the runner is in good condition and runs decent, i'd put it on craigslist and sell it for a grand and dump the money into another swap. but, thats just my opinion

RynothealbinO [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
  • 36's on no lift!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2007, 10:58:03 AM »
Yeah, thats what I have been thinking.  The 1990 runs and drives just fine there is just no title so I really can't get any money for it.  I plan on parting out, keeping the rear axle, steering box, and front calipers for my '84 and selling the rest.  So now I am back to where I was before: buy a 7mge imported from Japan for $600-800 or use the same money to rebuild my 22r (which might actually cost more).  But I still need to know if I need the manual ecu for a 7mge or if a automatic ecu will work in my truck with a manual.  Does anybody know?

Broke_Okie_Ty

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -6
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Jun '06
  • slightly deranged
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2007, 11:38:57 PM »
i don't know about the 7mge, but usually it doesnt work, motor wont run right. if you part out that runner let me know theres a few engine parts i could use