Author Topic: Need some help with removing all of my Emissions(Smog junk)  (Read 1602 times)

81tyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 13
  • Member since Dec '05
  • ^ thats my 81 p/u 3 1/2" lift and 35's
    • View Profile
Ok like it says in the title, I need some help removing all of the emissions on an 81, 22r carburated engine, I have searched for a couple of days but found nothing with quite what I need. What I would like is soemthing showing what is all of the stuff I can remove, almost like a how-to.
I live in michigan were there is no emissions test and would like to get rid of all that worthless junk and lighten it up a bit. Can anyone help me because I dont even have the slightest idea on what all I should remove.

any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Get a weber carb, and that will get rid of alot of vacuum lines.  And you'll get more power in return!  I was always happy with my weber on my nissan, but there are reports of them stalling out in off camber situations.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

81tyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
 Well I only wish I could get a Weber, Right now im on a tight budget! But I was digging threw some stuff and found my repair manual and it showed a diagram of all the emissions and I think I almost have it all off, I've been going at it for almost 2 and a half hours and next thing up is making some block off stuff

YotaJosh

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 499
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Here's what I did to my '79 20R:

Removed all the EGR stuff, and made blockoff plates out of some 1/4" steel.
Removed all vacuum lines, and replumbed it all using the Haynes manual (get it from AutoZone), and used the Canada emissions diagram (very few lines).
Took off my air pump, and all supporting junk that was on the passenger side inner fender.
I did leave my charcoal canister, since it's tied to the gastank.

I also rebuilt my carb at the same time. Now it seems to run better, but now it's down again as I'm swapping the motor over another frame/body.

Good luck :crossed:
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

81tyota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Well thats exactly what i was planning on doing ounce I found my manual, but I am glad to hear that it works, thanks