Author Topic: my 82 truck on the rubicon  (Read 2591 times)

Jared

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Rolled baby.... IN front of my house....
    • View Profile
my 82 truck on the rubicon
« on: Jan 02, 2004, 04:41:07 PM »
Ive got this 82 pickup with 4.88 gears and detroits front and back rolling 31s.  Ive got a 4 inch lift on it.  Its my daily driver.  havnt been up to the rubicon with it but ive been on it.  My friends go alot and i wanna take my truck up there.  Im willing to do body damage to it but i gotta keep it running cause its my daily driver.  Think ill be able to make it with some good driving and a four inch lift.  Ive been looking at the gate keeper and its pretty nasty.  I think i can make it but im not sure.  I would hate to get stuck 3 hours from home.  
ah the beauty of a cuttin torch

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 17607
  • Male Posts: 1,025
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re:my 82 truck on the rubicon
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2004, 07:20:18 PM »
your truck seems pretty set up with the lockers and gears. 4" lift is fine. i would be worried about those 31" tires. 31"s you might have problems with ground clearance no matter what kind of tire tread it is(swamper, mudder, a/t). also with 4.88s you can run 33-35" tall tires.

you might worry about snow right now on the con...i don't know how much is up there if any.

happy trails
rich *ruger* :beerchug: :beer: :beerchug:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2004, 12:08:20 PM »
Well you will most likely been a tie-rod with those 31's and there is snow up there.  You don't have to go in through  the gate keeper there is ways around that still repsect the terian.
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2004, 12:52:09 AM by 84runner »
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

Jared [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Rolled baby.... IN front of my house....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2004, 07:21:12 PM »
I know how to get to the gatekeeper from the Loon Lake Dam but are there any ways from the dam to the rubicon around the gatekeeper.  Not scared its just that i cant afford to roll my truck and mess the doors up.  Im only 16 years old and my dad is still eligible to whoop my A$$ if i mess the truck up.  
ah the beauty of a cuttin torch

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2004, 09:03:55 PM »
.  Im only 16 years old and my dad is still eligible to whoop my A$$ if i mess the truck up.  
awwwww to be 16 again and worred about dad whooping my A$$:laugh:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2004, 12:56:51 AM »
Well as you come up over the slab after, instead of going right towards the gate keeper.  Go left and towards the trees, you should see were to go from there. This will bring you out at the bottom of the bowl

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
Re: my 82 truck on the rubicon
« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2004, 09:04:28 PM »
I remember when i was 16, just like it was last month.  Wait! it was last month. Well, since you got 35's now, i would say it won't be that hard for you to get past gatekeeper.  I havent driven it in my truck, but you with front and rear lockers, it shouldn't be that hard.   My 2 cents

hawaii500_1999

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Watch this!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 12, 2004, 05:27:34 PM »
sure you can make it, i'm not saying you won't get stuck though.  just make sure if one of your bud's going with you don't have a winch that you have a high lift jack and some come-a-longs and chain.

back in the 70's my dad used to go once a year in his 77 dodge power wagon with open axles and 31's.  he definatley got some body damage but he made it.  i think the hardest part for him was devils V cause a full sized truck just doesn't quit make it through with ease.  actually the big sluice in general can turn around and bite you if you mess up, the trick is to be wise when you pick your line the first time so that you don't have to back up.
1985 4runner on 35 boggers.  22re, W56 tranny, daul cases with 4:1 in the back case, ford f150 fronts with 63" chevys in the back, cross over steering, full width chevy axles with detroit back and ARB front,

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2004, 09:12:57 PM »
I just took my truck to the slabs for a day on sunday.  The thang i hit the most was my difs and my rock sliders.  the body damage you will most likely get will be under your rockers.  It will likely be easier for you if you have rock sliders.  My 2 cents

TigerToy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2004, 09:45:30 PM »
I remember when I was sixteen.  My dad bought me a beat up CJ-5, which I promptly ran through a small river which sprayed water on my distributor and killed the motor.  Being the genius sixteen year old that I was, I cranked and cranked on it with the tail pipe under water which poor water into the crankcase, ruining the oil.  Being even more intelligent, I drove it without changing the oil for about two weeks when all of the sudden it started making this weird knock knock knock noise.  $1500 dollars and a very angry father later, I had a brand new motor in my beat up old CJ-5.

Of course, this is not even the best part.  This whole event happened while my folks were out of town and I was skipping school when I sunk it.   I got the truck back to the house and cleaned it up, and when my folks got back they were a little suspicious but not too much.  Well, one of my friends came by to "make sure the truck was alrigh" while I was at work.  Of course, my parents played him like a drum and got every last muddy, watery detail out of him.  Needless to say, my parents were very, very angry.   :smack:

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2004, 09:54:06 AM »
Well as you come up over the slab after, instead of going right towards the gate keeper.  Go left and towards the trees, you should see were to go from there. This will bring you out at the bottom of the bowl

That route will get you in to trouble this year. It WILL be closed off. The only way into the Rubicon is through the Gatekeeper or Wentworth.
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 20, 2004, 10:06:02 AM »
Really thats gonna be closed off this year  :thumbs: All though that little hill was kind of fun to climb, was you got up the first one of course  :yupyup: