Author Topic: high steer and scout steering  (Read 3630 times)

matthewlc

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '04
  • what's a stereo?
    • View Profile
high steer and scout steering
« on: Mar 29, 2004, 03:31:52 AM »
I converted my fj-40 to power steering using a late Scout saginaw box. If I use traditional style high steer arms will I need a specific length pitman arm? Luke Porter from 4x4 labs uses many different tie rod ends in his arms. Can the Marlin arms use a Chevy tie rod end? Also, with 350, 465, and 456s in axles, how should I expect the axles to hold up in the long run with 35-37s and all kinds of wheeling?
cruisers are what jeeps want to be when they grow up

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
Re: high steer and scout steering
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2004, 08:45:08 PM »
A good rule of thumb is to keep the pitman arm the same length as the high steer arm, [one to one ratio], however many trucks have a longer pitman arm that would make the wheels turn quicker.
I have not been a big fan of chevy tie rod ends because they use a smaller thread [7/8" compared to the larger 23x1.50] and the head of the end is also larger. The FJ80 ends are available right and lefthand thread and have proven very dependable.
We can supply our arms with the chevy taper.
The factory axles use a 8 7/8" ring and pinion [GM 12 bolt] that GM sold the rights to in 1956. You must upgrade the birfield joint to a aftermarket unit.
Your sucess will depend on how you drive your truck. If you are worried about breaking then I would advise Rockwell 2 1/2 ton axles. I have seen many Dana 60's and even Unimogs go south under heavy throttle.

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2004, 09:41:02 PM »
since the scout arm actually turns the other direction (brain swelling right now) does the same length rule still apply? Instead of the pitman arm pulling the drag link away from the tie rod at full lock it is actually pulling it closer.

I just swapped my scout box out.. for a toy one  :yupyup:

My hi-steer arm is slightly longer than my pitman arm where the drag link connects but slightly shorter where the tie rod connects  :headscratch:

(yes I started with a toy box)

(still hunting for a replacement stock toy pitman arm and washer/nut to replace that contraption that was on there)
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2004, 09:45:07 PM by Brandon »
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

matthewlc [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '04
  • what's a stereo?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2004, 12:05:31 AM »
Before I bought my scout box for too much $, I was looking at different toy options. I was told mini truck boxes might not be stout enough for my cruiser. Is that true? What about a box from an Fj-60? Are they always as expensive as Manafre and Spector have led me to believe? I'd like to stay as much toy as possible. Also, with any toy box, do you need special hoses to a Saginaw pump?

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2004, 10:40:10 AM »
best investment I made was that hi-pressure AN hose, every time I change something (I do it quite often) I just get a different end for the same hose, oddly the toyota box just used a 5/8" thread - it's workin fine..

The Scout was different, can't remember what it was though. I have yet to see a broken toy box but I have seen many saginaw sector shafts break..

I just gave away my tapped scout box with hoses and ram  :greengrin:

Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

matthewlc [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '04
  • what's a stereo?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2004, 11:24:35 PM »
So if I was to switch to a toy box, which one would be best up to the task on my application? I like the way the Scout's pitman arm swings the same as the knuckle arms.