• Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
my gmc
« on: Apr 25, 2007, 07:27:45 AM »
well i'm to lazy to search for my old buildup thread so here goes another. my clutch was slippin pretty bad so i got some money together and bought a new clutch kit. nothing has gone right with this clutch install and its drivin me up the wall. finally got the tranny/t-case down, old clutch out (looks like oil contamination is what killed it). replaced the clutch, pilot bearing, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. cleaned everything up which took a case of engine degreaser and a steel wire brush/and my knife (did i mention the grease buildup inside the bellhousing was about 1/2" think?). bolted the bellhousing to the tranny, i've gotten the tranny high enough to go back in place (i used the alignment tool for the clutch), but now the tranny is sitting roughly 2 1/2" too far back, and absolutely refuses to move foreward. i've tried for the past 3 days to get the tranny to slide foreward all the way, but absolutely refuses to go!  :tantrum:  :maddest: any ideas?
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
Re: my gmc
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2007, 08:06:24 AM »
sounds like it isn't wanting to go into the pilot bearing,did you clean the end of the tranny input shaft.Take some fine grit sand paper and clean it up.You may need to take it back out and check to see if it is the right pilot bearing.
87 4runner 350 with custom dent package. 
My budget beater

blyota91

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 170
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2007, 04:49:11 PM »
I had this happen to me on a truck at work.  This may not be the case for you but here is what happened.  There were two different pilot bearings for the truck, and both were supposed to be in the clutch kit.  One was very small and sat way inside the rear of the crank, the other was much larger and fit into a larger diameter recess on the crank.  Both had a correct inside diameter, unfortunately I only got one pilot bearing with the clutch kit and it was the wrong one.  It was the larger outer diameter bearing and this didn't let the trans slide all the way to the bell housing.  It wasn't 2-1/2 inches but just an idea for you.
Retiring the 91
Rebuilding the 94

red [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2007, 08:31:32 PM »
well i pulled it out. cleaned up the input shaft again, checked the alignment again, tried reinstalling the tranny. got it to go into the clutch (the clutch kit gave me the correct pilot bearing, identical to the old one), and its still not going all the way foreward.

USAF EOD tech

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2007, 10:25:30 PM »
Well,I would try this.Take it back out.Take the clutch disk and with the tranny out slide it onto the input shaft.If it slides on there all the way then that eliminates that part.While you've got the clutch and pressure plate out,try putting the tranny in and see if you get get it to bolt up that way.If it goes in it may just be that it's not aligning just right with the clutch.Also make sure your throwout bearing is all the way back to and not hanging up on the input.I know it's alot of work but unless you can see what's happening your just gonna have to narrow it down.
87 4runner 350 with custom dent package. 
My budget beater

red [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 11:15:05 PM »
GOT IT!! the turd fought the whole way but the truck is up and runnin again and no more clutch problems. now for the next part of the project, half doors.

USAF EOD tech