Author Topic: Engine is making a bad noise...  (Read 3637 times)

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Engine is making a bad noise...
« on: Apr 11, 2007, 08:15:24 AM »
1988 yota 4x4 22-re with 158,000 miles on.

The engine is making a strange clicking/scraping sound at certain times throughout the rpm range, but only sometimes... and pressing the gas or letting off it will make the sound go away.  is this the timing chain smacking the cover?  or is it something totally different?  plz help, i need to drive this truck 300 miles on sunday....
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Re: Engine is making a bad noise...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2007, 08:31:01 AM »
Could be, but you need to try and locate the general area in which the sound is coming from in order for us to help you better.

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2007, 08:36:44 AM »
thats tough to do because it only makes the sound while driving.. it doesnt do it at idle and i cant seem to get it to make the noise .. it just makes it when it wants to..

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2007, 09:39:06 AM »
It won't even make the noise if you stand in front and throttle it on the cable?
I like to Drive!

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2007, 09:59:48 AM »
If it only does it when you are driving, put it up on jack stands and run it in gear and see if you can get it to do it and look for it. BE CAREFUL of the spinning tires.
Also lift the front and try spinning the wheels maybe brakes or bearing, but what ever you will have to duplicate the noise so you can find where it is coming from.

I doubt it is from the motor or you should be able to here it standing still. More than likely in the drive train maybe a universal
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2007, 10:07:03 AM by toyguy86 »

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 11, 2007, 10:40:06 AM »
It might be as simple as something rattling under a load. I agree with the others throw it up on a stand and get it to do it again. By chance can you tell me at what RPM's its happening? Does it happen when the truck is cold/warm?
Starting from scratch again...

Jeffe 81

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2007, 11:28:32 AM »
Usually the timing chain only makes noise when you start the engine cold.  It will rattle until oil pressure builds and the tensioner takes the slack out of the chain.  Unless you have a bad tensioner or broken guides.  But you would hear this with the truck stationary...
'81 with Marlin transmission and 1600 non ceramic clutch, Tri-Y Doug Thorley Headers, Weber 38

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2007, 05:25:45 PM »
It won't even make the noise if you stand in front and throttle it on the cable?

nope...

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2007, 05:26:15 PM »
If it only does it when you are driving, put it up on jack stands and run it in gear and see if you can get it to do it and look for it. BE CAREFUL of the spinning tires.
Also lift the front and try spinning the wheels maybe brakes or bearing, but what ever you will have to duplicate the noise so you can find where it is coming from.

I doubt it is from the motor or you should be able to here it standing still. More than likely in the drive train maybe a universal

sounds like a good idea ill go put it on stands and try it.

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2007, 05:26:59 PM »
It might be as simple as something rattling under a load. I agree with the others throw it up on a stand and get it to do it again. By chance can you tell me at what RPM's its happening? Does it happen when the truck is cold/warm?

seems to happen at all temps, and im not sure of the rpm because i dont have a tac.

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2007, 05:27:29 PM »
Usually the timing chain only makes noise when you start the engine cold.  It will rattle until oil pressure builds and the tensioner takes the slack out of the chain.  Unless you have a bad tensioner or broken guides.  But you would hear this with the truck stationary...

i sure hope its not the timing chain...

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2007, 06:45:17 PM »
I'd hope it's the timing chain, it's not a big deal to fix.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2007, 06:48:14 PM »
well i just put the truck up on jack stands and ran it to try to isolate the noise, and i found a loose bracket where the o2 sensor attaches, removed the bracket, and as far as i can tell the noise is gone....  so i guess i jumped to conclusions a bit too much ... but im glad i found the problem... thanks for the help everyone.

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 12, 2007, 07:44:41 AM »
Way to go, next time you will know what to do.

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 13, 2007, 09:45:32 PM »
I blew my truck's original 22re (it didn't run when I bought it, bad clunking and leaking injectors, put in new injectors and it ran, kind of), so i put a used '88 22re in my '85 pickup and now have a ticking/clicking problem. The '88 engine had approximately 188,000 miles on it when I installed it late last year. I think I am going to rebuild the '85 22re engine next year, but I am not sure, I don't know what caused its death (6,000 rpm, bad clunk noise, lost all oil pressure, dummy light came on), and I don't really feel like swapping engines again. So I would like to fix the '88 engine. The tick is there at idle, and it happens regardless of temperature. When I drive it, it comes and goes regardless of rpm and speed. It has been progressively getting worse. I have not checked anything, because all I really know about working on engines is simple stuff like timing and changing oil and other simple stuff. (yet I can do engine swaps and rebuild two-stroke dirtbike engines, imagine that.) I have not checked the timing on the engine, but it runs fine, it just clicks. Can it be valves? I really want to know, because this is my only mode of transportation besides motorcycles, and it has been snowing here lately. (motorcycles+snow=lots of pain) Please help me avoid another engine explosion! Thanks!

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 14, 2007, 04:13:25 PM »
most likely if its a top end ticking noise it's due to a loose/tight valve. Nothing to worry about I have only heard one 22re/22r that didnt have some sort of minor tick. Start a new thread rather then hi-jacking this one. You'll get alot more info/wisdom that way. :)
Starting from scratch again...