Author Topic: Strangest/Coolest/Most Interesting Character that you've met wheeling  (Read 2628 times)

TigerToy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
My '82 yota is my first four wheel drive truck, but I've always worked on and ridden with people in this crowd.  You meet a lot of interesting folks on large trail rides.  Anyway, a couple of years back, my friend and I went to the Dixie Run in Tellico. My friend was having some overheating problems, so he stayed back at camp, and I hitched a ride with some locals.  Turns out that they had been coming to Tellico for something like twenty years, maybe even before it was an ohv, but I don't remember.  The guy drove a stock nissan truck junkyard rescue with welded diffs.  It was really pretty amazing. The guy went everwhere and over every obstacle all while carrying a conversation with me about the Appalachain mountians, Eric Rudolph, politics, women, everything.  The guy had a whole lot of wisdom; he was like some weird 4wheel drive sage of the Appalachian Mountains.  He about flipped when I tossed my cigarrette out the window, and kept griping about how the 'damn hybrids' are messing up the trails.  I was pretty young and narrow-minded at the time, and I thought he was silly, but he obviously made a big impression on me.  Don't remember his name and will probably never meet him again.

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
  He about flipped when I tossed my cigarrette out the window,

:slap:
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

Celerity

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 28
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Go anywhere, anytime, any condition
    • View Profile
While it wasn't on a trail, once in Herkimer New York I met this guy with an 84 2WD truck. He had his wife, and dog with him.  They were just touring aimlessly checking out the sites. He and I must have talked for 8 hours (Adjoining campsites) about conspiracy theory. Turns out he was on the road evading taxes, and feared aliens / g-men / police / NWO may be after him.

-> Steve
We as humans have 4 obligations to God, Country, and ourselves. Travel. Respect. Learn. Pass on.

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
Marlin  :yupyup:

I don't know if it is the first time we met but I remember my dad getting into it with him at Sierra Trek he he
It was a while back since that was long before I bought my crawler and it was #89

Yep - met a lot of good people out there :thumbs:

(gotten my hi-lift stolen twice and had my spare parts dissapear many times "I'll send you new ones" also)

Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

hawaii500_1999

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Watch this!!!!!
    • View Profile
i had some jerks show up at around 4 in the morning to our camp site a spider lake all drunk and yelling how they were going to start throwing the tents into the water,.  i got up and confronted them.  one of them calmed down and the other two were still running thier drunk mouthes.  that liquid courge didn't work so well for them when my buddies started puoring out of the tents.  i guess they though ti was the only one there. 

then two of the jerks decided that my toyota truck (on 33's) was wimpy and they were going to block it in with thier jeeps (with like 37's or something.)  i tried to wake them up but they were dead asleep so i hy-lift jacked thier jeeps up and pushed them off the jack to the side.

those guys really needed an @ss kicking.
1985 4runner on 35 boggers.  22re, W56 tranny, daul cases with 4:1 in the back case, ford f150 fronts with 63" chevys in the back, cross over steering, full width chevy axles with detroit back and ARB front,

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
hawaii500 1999 when i hear that story an old saying my dad use to say come to mind, God made man and Colt made them equal  :yupyup:
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
I met a guy who was real proud of the stuff he owned.  He always had something better than everyone else...and it was.  He always spent a lot of money on his stuff.  Anyway, on one of the runs where we kind of stay with everyone else he rolled into camp with some new wheels.  That night he was on and on about those wheels and some drunk guys pissed all over them before they went to there tent.  He was pissed!!  Rather than confronting them about it, later that night he backed his Jeep up to their tent and wrapped a rope through all of the loops where the stakes go and hammered that 360.  Needless to say it woke everyone up with these guys screaming for their lives.  He didn't stop dragging them until the whole tent ripped apart.  I think they learned their lesson on that one!!  :yupyup:
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

WildYoats

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -32
  • Male Posts: 14
  • Member since Nov '02
  • Pres. / Founder-Wild Yoats Toyota 4x4 Association
    • View Profile
    • Wild Yoats Toyota 4x4 Assoc.
Hmmmm........

The year was probably 1991, the place, Moab at the Easter Jeep Safari.    Some guy in a browish-red Toyota truck was at the display area at the safari meeting place under a tent.  He was there by himself and stood aside his truck as it was idling.  In front of his tires were some cement blocks.  Well, "this guy" would give his speech and sit there and let his truck idle back and forth over these cement bricks with nobody in the truck.  Oh how very impressed I was and I returned back to Salt Lake after the event telling everyone how this guy had like three transfer cases in his truck and his truck would just idle and crawl over these blocks.   

Yes, it was the star himself, Marlin.   I thought he was kinda weird at first :screwy:, but after listening to his speech and his product, I thought, man, this guy's the bomb!  Now look at where he's at!  Good job!   
President/Founder of the Wild Yoats Toyota 4x4 Association
www.wildyoats.com

Brian83

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 319
  • Male Posts: 243
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
Theres a place called camp richard about 45 min away from here where we always go wheeling and camping. One time 3 years ago we met some guy who lent us a shovel to put out our fire since we forgot ours and didn't want to pour our beer on it. Well we gave him a lift back to town in the morning thinking that would be the last time we saw him. Since then we run into him about 4-5 times a year, he's a really rough looking guy who says he just roams the mountains and only comes into town for supplies once in a while. Well we never ask his name we just call him the guy, even to his face. One time coming out of our camp and driving down the road in a raging blizzard we saw some guy walking and it turned out to be him. He jumped in the back of our truck and just rode down to town like it was nothing, I thought he had to be freezing. I plan on going up camping this next weekend so hopefully we'll see him, he's always a laugh, he makes his own moonshine(Very tasty) and tells us stories about Jackalopes.
Common sense just isn't that common anymore