Author Topic: how many of you are running hydro asst?  (Read 1362 times)

yota-tota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 17
  • Male Posts: 232
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
how many of you are running hydro asst?
« on: Feb 15, 2007, 03:36:19 PM »
I'm really thinking on putting a hydro asst. setup on my rig but since it's my daily driver i'm not sure how the "steering feel"  would be on the hwy and such. I think it should be great as it would stop all the wobble when going over rail tracks and potholed streets plus work great in the woods  ::) Not sure if there're any down falls as i don;t know anyone that runs hydro but the legal factor isn't an issue as i can't see many cops even knowing the difference.
91 toy truggy on h2 injection, hacked n chopped n locked n SAS'd rolling 36" IROKS........doubler comming soon

Willy Mammoth

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Re: how many of you are running hydro asst?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2007, 03:44:54 PM »
I have it and to be honest it is better with than without. Without it I get a death wobble even it I take the power steering belt off.

If you drill out the orifice a little at a time till there is no lag in turning you can still keep from having too much response for road use.

I like it a lot.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2007, 03:56:30 PM »
Not sure if there're any down falls as i don;t know anyone that runs hydro but the legal factor isn't an issue as i can't see many cops even knowing the difference.
Full hydraulic steering is not street legal...hydro ASSIST is fine as far as I know
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2007, 09:26:45 PM »
First off, Hydro assist should not be used as a band-aid for a front end that has other issues. Before I ever did the HA on my mini truck, I could do 60 down the road with 14.5" wide boggers and have no unwanted mevement in the front end. First I would look into what is causing the shimmy/death shake. Check your caster, all bushings, all bolts for tightness, etc. THEN HA can be added. You can add it with frontend issues, but it will just mask minor problems that will eventually grow into major problems.

Alright, now that that's done. Like mentioned earlier, by drilling out the pump only as far as is necessary to take away the lag in the wheel, you will have great on road and off road manners. I've done 70 down the road with my old setup numerous times. I've been in emergency stop situations and no problems. As far as legality, I can't say for sure but to my understanding, there is nothing saying it is illegal. The reason full hydro is a no no is there is no mechanical link to the steering system so if you loose fluid, you loose steering. With HA, if you loose fluid, it's like loosing fluid with your standard power steering. You can still turn, you just have to work at it a bit. You have enough control that you can safely pull the vehicle off the road.
"between projects"

88Rokyoat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2007, 08:15:32 AM »
Im really happy with my HA set-up. I drive it on the road quite a bit, I ran it for a few months before drilling out the pump. before drilling it out it had a  slow response at lower RPMs but now it is sweet.  Makes my buddies without it jealous.
stupid people shouldn't have kids.