Author Topic: Battery Relocation Suggestions for 1st Gen Pickup  (Read 5893 times)

YotaJosh

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 499
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Battery Relocation Suggestions for 1st Gen Pickup
« on: Jan 16, 2007, 08:54:45 AM »
28 years has taken its toll on the passenger inner fender where the battery tray is of my '79. I now have a large battery sized hole that a previous owner patched up with plywood and expanded metal. I don't want to loose my battery on the trail for oblivious reasons, so here are my ideas. Let me know what you think.

1. Fix the hole somehow, with sheet metal, junkyard inner fender, etc.
2. Relocate to the driver side, and relocate my washer fluid and overflow jug. Is this easily done?
3. Relocate to the bed which is probably the best option, but I don't want the battery in the bed.
4. Relocate to behind the passenger seat in the cab.

I want to do #4, but am afraid of any side effects (fumes, etc). I know car guys relocate to the trunk without any problems.
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
i suggest  the bed,  make a box  so its  covered  and  kinda sealed  so  it  dont get smacked by stuff in the bed

BigMike  made a mount for his  under the bed  up against the frame rail

i think im going to do something like that too,  just to move the weight  to the center of the truck
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
If you rear locate the battery in the cab, make sure you use a Optima. It is a sealed battery & you wont get any fumes. You can mount it on it's side, upside down, how ever you want.
Quick & easy.

Custom,
Make a stand off bracket out of tubing that welds to the side of the frame & bends up to the bottom of the battery hole {in your body} & weld a plate to the top of the tubing to make the tray, secure the battery to the tray. Make sure you cut the hole in the body to have clearance when the body flexes.

If you make a box like 79coyotefrg says, make sure it has vents to let the fumes out.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

toolman

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 194
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
I'm planning on moving mine to under the bed. I'm in the process of building a flatbed anyway so why not use some of the extra space underneath. Plan on running dual batteries too.
'82 yota work in progress
33x12.50's
Fuel Injection
4" lift
flat bed
x-over steering
full float rear
L52HD
LC engineering pro

YotaJosh [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
If you rear locate the battery in the cab, make sure you use a Optima. It is a sealed battery & you wont get any fumes. You can mount it on it's side, upside down, how ever you want.
Quick & easy.

Custom,
Make a stand off bracket out of tubing that welds to the side of the frame & bends up to the bottom of the battery hole {in your body} & weld a plate to the top of the tubing to make the tray, secure the battery to the tray. Make sure you cut the hole in the body to have clearance when the body flexes.

If you make a box like 79coyotefrg says, make sure it has vents to let the fumes out.

I was thinking about the Optima for the in-cab location. I may still go this route.

I'm really not crazy about the bed because of the danger of stuff hitting it, even if it's in a sealed box.

The solid frame mount you speak of is interesting. The hole in the body is already taken care of :)
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

YotaJosh [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
BigMike  made a mount for his  under the bed  up against the frame rail

Any links/pictures of that? Do you think it would require a body lift for clearance?
'79 Short Bed Pickup 4x4
'04 4Runner V8 Sport 4x2

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent