Author Topic: Dual case temps?  (Read 2616 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Dual case temps?
« on: Jan 10, 2007, 12:27:24 PM »
I'm not sure if I have a problem or not.  My rear transfer case (v6 chain drive)  gets pretty dang hot at highway speeds.  The shaft of the shifter gets almost too hot to touch.  Neither the tranny or crawl box shifter get near the same temp. :dunno:  I just checked the gear oil today, it is full, and it was changed about 5K miles ago.  I can't remember the weight that I'm using off the top of my head, but it seems to be the standard gear oil most people use.

Also, my Catalytic Converter is pretty close to the rear t-case.  The joints where the cat bolts to the exhaust pipe are bracketing the t-case, and I've never been able to get them to seal up completely, and I can feel exhaust coming from them.  Could the combination of the heat of the cat, and the leaking exhaust be causing the excess heat?  or is it even excess heat?  :dunno: 

How hot is too hot?  :dunno:

I'm thinking about welding up those seams, and putting a heat shield between the cat and the t-case, see what happens then.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

4.3 headache

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -182
  • Male Posts: 321
  • Member since Aug '03
  • keep goin!!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Dual case temps?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »
my T-case shifter has always been a bit warmer than the gear shifter ( when i had the 5 spd ) and the crawl box shifter.
but it's never been too hot too touch
all i want is a little more than i'll ever get!!

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2007, 06:58:42 PM »
try wrapping that section of exhaust in heat wrap just to disperce the heat a bit more away from the t-case. Mine gets pretty hot on the trail if I have the truck running all day but other then that it doesn't get to hot to touch (like 4.3 headache said)

If you pull off the filler plug and stick your finger in the t-case does the fluid seem really warm?

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2007, 07:40:29 PM »
I did that when I checked the fluid, it didn't seem to be abnormally hot.  I`was leaning toward it being the proximity to the exhaust, but I wasn't sure. 

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2007, 07:50:27 PM »
proximity to the exhaust

If the fluids not really hot then that would be my next guess.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2007, 08:07:53 PM »
I just put the cat on a few weeks ago, but I don't remember the way it felt before I put the cat on.  :smack:  Be nice if I could remember  :headshake:

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2007, 02:25:15 PM »
Ok,  Driving home today the t-case shifter got really hot again.  IF if left my hand on it, it got to hot to hold.  When I stopped for gas, I checked the heat on both the pass. and drivers side of the t-case, crawl box, and trannsmission.  All three were too hot to continue touching for more than a few seconds.  The driveshaft which also close to the exhaust was warm, not hot. 

I'm thinking of trying  some synthetic gear oil to try to cool the tranny/crawlbox/t-case down.  Good idea?  :dunno:

Anyone know what the temp of the gear oil in the cases are supposed to be?  I was thinking about sticking a thermometer in there to measure the temp, but I don't want to go through the hassle if  no one knows that temp they're supposed to be at.   

-Ronald Reagan

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2007, 02:46:14 PM »
When I am traveling during the summer in the desert my tranny is too hot to touch for long. Normal driving in our cool climate it is warm but cool enough to leave your hand on. I have been using the redline MTL for a number of years with good  results.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2007, 11:23:28 PM »
I'm thinking of trying  some synthetic gear oil to try to cool the tranny/crawlbox/t-case down.  Good idea?  :dunno:   

Redline baby :thumbs:  Heard good things about royal purple too, I've just had good luck with redline synthetics.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!