Author Topic: newbie to the boards, 15yr Toyota 4x4 owner  (Read 1852 times)

fahrenheit 451

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
newbie to the boards, 15yr Toyota 4x4 owner
« on: Feb 03, 2004, 11:13:03 PM »
For the last 11yrs I've been driving an '85 EFI 4Runner. It is by far the best truck I've ever had and I'd love to keep it forever. Actually, that was the plan. I had intended it to be the last 4x4 I ever bought and was to be our desert banger until we were just too old to get out there anymore. However, a change in life calls for a change in trucks.
I can't believe it has already been 7 months ago, but an addition to our lifestyle (we call him Ben  :) ) has changed my plans. 2 doors and a baby just isn't working out and it'll be a few years until he can crawl into the back on his own.
I'm not a hardcore 4 wheeler, but I like to go out in the deserts of Utah and the hills of western Colorado and play and need a good 4 wheel drive vehicle to get some of the places we like to go. What I'm planning on doing is finding an early 90's 4 door 4Runner with a good old 4cyl and no power options whatsoever and making it into the long term desert banger. I gotta tell you, if you think finding an '85 EFI 4Runner is tough, I think the 90's 4cyl might be even harder LOL! I haven't had much luck yet at all.
The only real mods will likely be some HP upgrades to the motor when the time comes for a new one, a solid axle swap (I'm going to have LOTS of questions on this one!), slightly lower gears with limited slip diffs, continued use of MTR's, and maybe the odd bit of metal to keep the body and frame from getting beaten up on those times I get a bit stupid.
What I currently drive and already feel separation anxiety for even though I still have it:
'85 EFI 4Runner around 210k, LCEngineering EFI Pro Street performer 22re (balanced, blueprinted, 94mm pistons, oversized valves, ported polished all those buzz words), big bore throttle body, efi pro distributor, K&N filter charger, JET Chip ecu modified, 30lb flywheel with heavy duty clutch and pressure plate, LC headers, 2 1/4" exhaust, free flow muffler and cat., bigger radiator, 31x10.50 MTRs riding on plain jane black spokers, an antique Alcan 3" lift and a pile of recent and new parts. I wish Ben had come along before I stuck all the $$ in it. I could have put it all in the new one HA!
So, I come to you with lots of questions and the sought after '85 EFI 4Runner looking for a new home...sigh  

crawlin2u

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Never time to do it right but time to do it twice
    • View Profile
Re:newbie to the boards, 15yr Toyota 4x4 owner
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2004, 11:18:34 PM »
in for a project now eh
I creep and I crawl, thats what I learned first

Red_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Member since Dec '03
  • BODY DAMAGE! I love body damage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2004, 01:54:33 PM »
hay bud dont get rid of the runner. I have a son to. My first 4wheel drive was an 84 yota long bed, the plan was me and my son wheelin together. Come to find out my girlfriend desides after i bought my truck that she whants to tag along. So i had to find a family 4X4 which is an 85 EFI 4runner. I traded my 84+$500 for it. my son is almost 3 now and he says its his 4runner, not mine so Im going to get it all done up for him. Then when hes old enough Im buying me a taco then we can go wheelin together. Give your runner to ben dont sell it its hard to get what you put into it. Good luck and congradulation, happy wheelin

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2004, 11:07:16 AM »
 :rivers:  Put the car seat in the back and leave it there.  The hardest part is pulling the seat in and out.  If its not your family vehicle than keep it just buy another car seat for the family car.
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED