Author Topic: '84 Fuel Tank Replacement Issues  (Read 1549 times)

wrenchtech

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -14
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • WrenchTech: Content for Backyard Fabricators & Homeshop Mechanics
'84 Fuel Tank Replacement Issues
« on: Nov 13, 2006, 01:51:51 PM »
The gas tank on my '84 xtra cab 4x4 is turning to rust. It has just started leaking from pin holes at the main seam half way up the tank. It looks like the vast majority of RN66 (xtra cab) trucks in the U.S. were fuel injected and so the aftermarket tank makers are not bothering to make a tank for the carbureted version. They do make a tank for the long bed standard cab, carbureted, model that is longer. Anybody had experience fitting the longer tank into an xtra cab?

As an alternative I am considering purchasing a new xtra cab efi tank, which I think will bolt right in place. Then I could install an efi pump and bracket in the tank, and wire it up for power. I believe I would need a regulator to reduce the fuel pressure to the carb as well, along with a fuel return line. This is all good for me as I intend to do a complete efi swap later. Anybody see any problems with my plan. How about tips on wiring up the pump. I have a fuel injected '89 4runner donor for the pump. Can I cannibalize the 4runner wiring harness to run the pump in this temporary configuration? Or should I make up some wiring and leave the 4runner harness unmolested for the future when I swap in the whole harness?

Oh by the way I'm thinking my source for the new tank will be discountgastanks.com at $156.00 plus $19.99 shipping.    --

1999 4runner SR5, 3.4, auto, Horizon Blue

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
Re: '84 Fuel Tank Replacement Issues
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2006, 03:06:03 PM »
I'll try to awnser your questions, but backwards...

You don't need to actually use the EFI pump in a new EFI tank...you can just hook that line up to your carbed motor's mechanical fuel pump, and it will suck gas right through the in-tank EFI pump like it is'nt even there. It's just an impeller pump...it won't block the flow of fuel. If it worries you, just remove the EFI pump and put a piece of rubber fuel line in it's place. The EFI pump Does have a neat little pre-filter screen on it, though, unlike the naked carbed tank pickup tube.

I would'nt mess with trying to regulate the high pressure EFI pump down to the 3-5psi your carb requires. It won't be good for the pump to be pushing so hard and being choked down by the regulator like that.

I've tried in-line aftermarket electric fuel pumps, but alot put out 5-9psi, which causes endless headaches...lol...save yourself the BS and avoid this. They are also VERY noisy, off and on.

I have several Toyota trucks, and i can check the length but i probably have a tank you can have, unless you are set on a new one. I don't use the stock tanks, i build new high-capacity tanks out of aluminum.

I have the same truck you do, an '84 XtraCab 4x4 with a carbed 22R, straight axle (sitting out back).
I also own an '87 standard-cab flatbed 4x4, carbed 22R, IFS front (sitting out back).
I also own an '87 standard-cab shortbed 4x4, carbed 22R, IFS front (sitting out back).
And yet another '87 4-runner 4x4, EFI 22RE, IFS front (sitting out back).

Currently sanding and painting an '84 4-runner 4x4, carbed 22R, straight axle (used to own it, sold to a friend).
And i also sold him my first '84 Xtracab 4x4, carbed 22R, straight axle (he wants me to sand and paint That, too).(For free, cause we're friends, right?...@#$%&*)
Also replacing an EFI motor (blown headgasket) in a customer's '90 XXtraCab 2x4 pickup.
And recently replaced the frame, from mid-cab back, on a customer's '87 standard cab 4x4 (my avatar)

Bit off-topic, but just wanted you to see i have some experience with Toys.
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2006, 03:13:26 PM by Oddmar »
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2006, 08:10:59 PM »
where are you located?  i have my old 84 extra cab carb tank in storage.  if you are close enough you can have it.  i am in Roseville CA.

wrenchtech [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -14
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • WrenchTech: Content for Backyard Fabricators & Homeshop Mechanics
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2006, 09:12:36 PM »
Wow, you guys are awesome! Hyena I'm sure your '84 tank is in great shape being a California part, but I'm going to do the efi swap with most of the parts coming from my rusted '89 4runner donor (plus a brand new efi x-cab tank).

Oddmar, where in Illinois are you located? I'm intrigued by the thought of an aluminum high capacity fuel tank. When I get around to doing a diesel swap I'll want one of your tanks. Can you imagine it; with a 25 gallon capacity and 30 mpg I'd have a 750 mile range!!! A lot better than the 300 mile range I have now.  And thanks for the helpful info on my tank upgrade.
1999 4runner SR5, 3.4, auto, Horizon Blue

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2006, 03:11:27 AM »
When, not if, i get around to doing a diesel swap, it'll be a 1.9 liter turbo-diesel from a VW Jetta. 2001 and newer TDI diesels develop 105HP and 184ft. lbs. of torque...with 54mpg city, and 60mpg highway!

Even with the greater weight and larger profile of my Toyota, i should still get 30mpg, and with (2) 30-gallon tanks under the truck, and (2) 5-gallon jerry cans on the rear tire carrier, i'll have a humble range of 2100 miles. And i can even burn used veg oil...(recycle all those  :stopit: California Vegans maybe?).

And i'm located near Peoria, Illinois...fone numbah's in mah avahtah.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2006, 03:25:27 AM by Oddmar »
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.