Author Topic: Vehicle Route Designation Process  (Read 1957 times)

LCOwner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 302
  • Member since Dec '02
  • Have you seen his shop OMG!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Cruiser Build-up page.
Vehicle Route Designation Process
« on: Mar 15, 2007, 12:58:52 PM »
Attend if you can

For Immediate Release

March 13, 2007

Forest Service To Hold Information Meetings on Vehicle Route Designation Process

Clovis, California - Traveling the back roads and trails in the Sierra National Forest on a motorized vehicle has been a popular forest recreational use since the 1950’s.   By the year 2008, the Sierra National Forest, with the assistance of interested publics, intends to have a mapped designated route system in place that will provide for motorized vehicle opportunities while protecting the environment. 

"Before we start preparing an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) to designate a system of motorized vehicle routes we will be conducting three informational meetings to familiarize people  with the motorized vehicle route designation process and discuss changes the Forest has made to the process since 2006, when work started on this effort," stated Ed Cole, Forest Supervisor.   The informational meetings will be held at the following dates and locations:

March 24-Clovis-Sierra National Forest, 1600 Tollhouse Road, 2-4 pm

March 26-Oakhurst-Oakhurst Community Center, 39800 Road 425B, 6-8 pm

March 29-Mariposa-Best Western, 4999 Highway 140, 6-8 pm

If you can not attend our informational meetings and would like more information please visit or website at www.fs.fed.us/r5/sierra/projects/ohv/index.shtml.

In 2006, the Sierra National Forest started the motorized route designation process by doing a complete inventory of all motorized routes, including “user created routes” that were made by people traveling off road.  These routes were inventoried and displayed on maps that were shared with the public last year.  The next step will be to initiate an environmental impact statement (EIS) to designate a motorized vehicle route system which is expected to be completed by 2008. 

'71 FJ40, 350 TPI/420, 4.70/mini, 60's/5.38/42's, under construction.
'83 FJ60, SOA underway.  Soon to have a Police 350TBI/700R4/.....
Hill Hoppers Central Valley 4 Wheelers - Founding Member
Four Wheel Drive Club of Fresno - #1127

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
Re: Vehicle Route Designation Process
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2007, 01:13:02 PM »
A bunch of people in my club had a class with Greg Marks last night. He stated that he will be mapping ALL routes in use. Down to the little double tracks leading to camp sites just off the trail. Even quad trails that do the same. It's going to take him a while but it will be nice to have this all together. I'd never thought about it but Posi hill, V-rock, and other sections like them, are all technically off the designated route. They will be proposing to add these places to the mapping system.
"between projects"

Revivalist

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Wheelin' with Him!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2007, 06:13:35 PM »
Wow! . . . Thanks for posting that up. I think I'll be there on Saturday. I was meaning to stop by and get a Forest map anyways . . .

Are you gonna be there Brendan?
Check out our new organization, Outdoor Enthusiasts! It's a new and exciting way to raise money for trail supporting organizations! The best part is that you support trails without spending any new money!

Weak-Link

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 10:54:17 PM »
did anyone make it to these? I heard that a new route to sportsman lake off of swamp trl has been proposed.