Author Topic: 4runner bumper re-fab help  (Read 1469 times)

jakesooy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
4runner bumper re-fab help
« on: Jul 12, 2006, 07:11:51 PM »
I bought a used Marlin Rear bumper off of "Nissan recovery team" on pirate. Long story short I thought it was for a 1st gen 4runner and it was for a pickup. He was nice enough to send me back about $75 to put towards fabbing it to fit. I'm looking for advice, tips, or maybe somone who wants to make $75 bucks in the Sacramento/Natomas area.
I do know someone with a welder and a cutter who said we cold give it a shot, but we both would kinda be shooting in the dark as far as that goes.
The differences I can see so far is that it is set up for a 43" frame and mine is 42". It will sit higher, therefore my bumper will not go down, so I will need to make is sit lower.
The ounting holes are also an inch off.
I thought about cutting 1/2" out of the tubing the tubing on either side and welding it together, but then the tailgate will not go down between the part that sticks up (if you know what I'm talking about).
It seems my only option is to make new mounting brackets.

What may help is if anyone has the specs on one of these for a 1st gen 4runner. Any other advice will help too.
Thanks
Jake

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: 4runner bumper re-fab help
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2006, 09:06:54 PM »
dont know how marlin does it, but typically 4runner mounts go on the inside of the frame because of the body mount on the outside of the frame. pickups dont have that extra body mount so they mount on the outside of the frame. you have checked that fit havent you?
Im an OG

jakesooy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2006, 09:33:27 PM »
Yeah, The bars that were attached to the outside of the mountign brackets have been cut off. They will fit into the frame rails now, they are jsut spread too widely apart and need to be extended so the bumper sits lower I think.

rockcrawlinredneck

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jul '06
  • 1st Gen's rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2006, 09:35:39 PM »
I have not looked close enough at the way Marlin's bumper mount's, but if all you have to do is fab new mount's it should be fairly simple. Cut off the existing ones get some plate cut the same shape (as long as the clearences will fit) drill the holes in the new location's, reweld and wala. Boy it sound's simple in black and white huh?

Kevin

SLIVER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 503
  • Member since May '06
  • ))--SLIVER-->
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2006, 09:22:40 AM »
When I built my bumper I notched my stock bumper brackets out so that the tube fit  and made sure that the bumper was straight and level and then welded it solid. The stock brackets are pretty flimsy but I put two supports in, one going to the bottom where the springs mount and one going from the top of the hoop down. It is pretty solid although my bumper is not made for a winch. For what it's worth!

))--SLIVER-->>
))--SLIVER-->